PDA

View Full Version : thinkin about joining the army reserves

Juggalo
11-05-2004, 11:45 AM
well i had the recruiter come over yesterday and he came over again today and i took the pretest thing and i scored well on it. wed i am going to take the main test. im still unsure if i really wanna join tho. a couple of my other friends are suggesting other branches of the military instead of the army too so i just dont know. plus not to sound like a ***** but im not really in a hurry to go to iraq. i mean i would go if i was supposed to but i dont nescisarily want to like some people. but i figure im not really doing anything right now, im 19, graduated from high school and dont know if i will be going to college or not yet and i dont even have a job so i figure i have to do somehting with my life ya know. i think if i go to the army ill get into heavy equipment opperation because i know quite a bit about that already and i guess its a field that their lookin for more people in. but i just cant seem to make up my mind for sure..it seems like 1 second im willing to do it and the next i dont want to...

Pappy
11-05-2004, 11:49 AM
dont make any decision until your 100% positive you want to serve in the military.

LTandRaptorider
11-05-2004, 11:50 AM
Yes, make sure if you go, it's to attain some skill. And yes, be prepared to ship out if you join the reserves. Good luck with whatever decision you make. Don't forget to check civilian assets for equipment training. ;)

Pappy
11-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Don't forget to check civilian assets for equipment training. ;)

lol....my recruiter asked me if i had any assets or training that would be beneficial to the armed forces. i said yup....i can shoot damn good:devil:

too bad its not practical here at home:o

LTandRaptorider
11-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
lol....my recruiter asked me if i had any assets or training that would be beneficial to the armed forces. i said yup....i can shoot damn good:devil:

ha! that's about what I had! I grew up on a farm... I still remember when a Marine recruiter called to talk to me. My mother said, he's busy right now, using the tractor to drag his dead horse out of the barn to bury! :eek2: :D

YLW400
11-05-2004, 12:21 PM
jesus, choose something other than the Army, Jug :(

Ericthered rdr
11-05-2004, 01:31 PM
Join the Airforce reserves! Shorter, easier basic training, better jobs, better living, better food, better treatment, looks better on a resume`. I did it and it was the best thing I ever did. All that tough and proud Army chit is worthless when you go to get a job in the real world. Get into nursing or electronics or computers,,,real skills you can use in the real world.

YLW400
11-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Exactly :o Plus the Army takes anyone with a pulse.. You can write your name right on the ASVAB and get in there. Whatever you do, and I cannot stresss this enough... Make SURE you have a "set" job before you even leave for basic...If not, you can get screwed very hard.....

red2004 TRX450R
11-05-2004, 02:04 PM
dont do it.
go to school!
u dont have to go to colledge you can go to a tech school.
or get a job!!

only go to the army if you realy need the money for school !!!

if u need money that bad sell you quad first!!

I know in most states if you are over 24 or have a kid or live with out your parents the gov will give u grants and with loans school is paid for!!!!!!

dont go to the Desert!!!

just my 2C

Juggalo
11-05-2004, 03:06 PM
yeah airforce or national gaurd i heard is the way to go...ill have to look into those...i hate how damn pushy these army people are too..like my recruiter hes really cool but as soon as i mention not being sure hes like why and goes into a huge spiel about why i should...its like they wont accept no for an answer...i dunno tho maybe i will just look into some other branches of the military. for now i have to find somethin to do.

Ericthered rdr
11-05-2004, 03:46 PM
Recruiters are salesmen period. They have an actual quota. I encourage you to join the military, it is an awsome expierience. Just take it from a vet the Airforce is the best branch to go into if you are going to do it. It is like having a 9-5 job nothing like the stuff you see in the movies. Good luck to you.

urb'nyouthfilms
11-05-2004, 05:23 PM
like i told dave(juggalo) before, the recruiter that visited me was so into trying to get me in that he took me out for breakfast, those people would do anything to get you to join. In my opinion the the army, air force, etc. is a great way to get money and college aid, but as of now i would not join just because im not exactly jumping for joy to go to iraq. If you short on cash the best way to go is through a tech school and learn a trade, its cheap enough and fast enough. You could even get an apprenticeship which would let you make money while your still learning your job. Idk thats just my opinion, think about it good dave. -josh:(

Cole Trane
11-05-2004, 06:06 PM
AIR FORCE!! I've been in for 6 years now, and it's a pretty good job. Steady pay, your not getting fired unless you screw up, definately the most lavish of the branches. That's my 2 cents, if you wanna talk you can pm me. Later

Cole

RUNMYTA
11-05-2004, 06:06 PM
If you are scared just say "I am scared":rolleyes:

pikey21
11-05-2004, 08:21 PM
go with the marine core if you what to be the best

U.S.M.C.

o and if u got good aim and dont like to be seen or shot at be a sniper

semper fi carry on

popo
11-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Navy.....

SGA
11-05-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

Haha, you are old school Pappy. When the moral majority storms America to take it back, you will be driving the truck. :D

SGA
11-05-2004, 10:15 PM
If you do go in Juggs, Airforce, Navy or the National guard. Theres the army national guard and the air force national guard. I think the national guard would be a good choice, its like a taste of the fulltime service, plus you get good benifits.
Link to the army national guard http://www.1800goguard.com/studentsandgraduates/students.html
Link to the airforce national guard http://www.goang.com/faq/faq_nonpriorservice.aspx

dbsbl1
11-05-2004, 11:01 PM
I tried to join the Air National Guard as an officer. I took the AFOQT, sent in my resume and necessary paperwork and nothing. I haven't heard a word from them. Not even a get lost letter. That was about two months ago. I called the major at the base and she apparently doesn't return calls.

Guess I'll have to get a pilot's license on my own.

I know the military doesn't hurry to do anything but seriously.

Juggalo
11-06-2004, 12:33 PM
right now i am leaning toward the national gaurd...

diesel-mech
11-06-2004, 07:56 PM
If you go to the marines be prepaired for a whole new world. also its better to have no shooting experiance because your bad habits will work against you. They will teach you how to shoot and you will do it their way. Good luck

Rastus
11-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Another thing that I've heard from alot of retired vets, etc. is to not believe all the promises you get from Recruiters.

Once they have your signature..., what really makes them keep their end of the deal? :ermm:

Just something to think about...

No matter what branch you serve in(If you go in)..., I'm sure many people will greatly respect you for your service. :cool: :macho