PDA

View Full Version : lt 250r motor precations

killed300ex
11-04-2004, 05:25 PM
Well im going to say its been a long time and its great to finally be coming back to the sight. Finally have had some time to make some extra money to buy a new wheeler. I am looking at a 86 suzuki lt 250r, I know its not a honda but i really wnat to have a 2 stroke and cant find a r thats cheap. BUt anyways i am going to look at one this weekend and if u buy it it will be my first 2 stroke iv ever owned my question is what should i do right away to the fluids ect what should i just check and what fluids should i just change. The motor was suposedly just rebuilt 4 hours ago but id rather go through it and make sure its up to par what should i do to try to mantain it? Other than that any imput on the 250r as to what i should look for in this wheeler?
Thanks
Evan

speedy400
11-04-2004, 09:56 PM
if your lucky you will have few problems, if your not, well, you should rather save some money and wait to get an R problems usually I've seen is swinger cracking, motor bearings going out, and basically the whole thing rattling apart. Given this is only based on 2 lt250s I've seen/known. But I'm just sharing my experiance.-darren

bradrenea
11-05-2004, 01:31 AM
I wouldn't waste my money on an 85 or 86 LT250R. They are totally different than the 87-92. I had an 87 and it was a pretty good quad. The motors and frames on the 85 and 86 are not the same as the latter models. I rode an 86 that was supposed to be pretty built and it was a real turd!! If you can find a newer model, it MIGHT be worth having, but the 86 would be better left alone.

bpimpdaddy21
11-05-2004, 05:46 AM
I COMPLETELY DISAGREE with bradrenea. My last wheeler before my 400EX was a 1985 LT250R. That thing was an animal! When I got it, it was in pretty rough shape. Over the course of about 2-3 months, and a few bucks, I had the rear shock redone, new front shocks, bored the engine over .060", FMF Pipe and Silencer, Hinson Clutch, set of reeds, and just went through the whole thing and checked everything. The thing ran great! I could beat a quadzilla off the line, and pull it for a bit, and also could keep up to a KX250 dirt bike. I can say that it was on of the meanest quads I have ridden. It would smoke my 400EX in a drag race, but the 400EX handles much better. Now, if I was you, when I get it, I would have some fun and pull the engine (I love working on these things, and the 250 is SO EASY to work on), and just check EVERYTHING inside and out of the motor. I would just check over the frame also while the engine is out. I would also check and replace any bearing that needs to be replaced. Only problem I had was that it went through Swingarm bearings pretty quick. But other than that I had no problems with mine. I suggest going and looking at it, and if you plan to take it apart anyway, might as well get it, as you can always have things fixed on it. I say all this assuming you know what you are doing with a two stroke. I find them much easier to work on then a four stroke. Anyway, I recommend checking it out, make an offer that you feel reasonable with the condition that it is in, and go from there. You may need to put some money into it at first, but then again you kinda have to expect that with most used quads that you purchase. Hope I was able to help!!

killed300ex
11-05-2004, 01:50 PM
yea i think as long as it loks solid i will buy it meeting the guy tom at 230 but here are the specs he gave me last night. 86 quadracer lt 250r 4 hours on completly rebuild top end weisco piston 60 over dg bumper rear grab bar full fmf pipe nerf bars no clack min plastic and no rips in seat twist throttle said the thing rips. he is looking for 1500 going to offer him 1200 and go from there. THink its a decent deal?
Evan

TRXRacer1
11-05-2004, 02:02 PM
I had an 86 and mine was animal too. Don't listen to uneducated post form people how don't have the experience. My advice is treat it like any other machine and you will have a mean quad. That thing will run circles around the 400ex's and anything under it.

bpimpdaddy21
11-05-2004, 02:23 PM
As I said, it depends upon the condition, 1200 sounds good for one in nice shape, but if it has some more imperfections than he said, maybe even $1000, but I cant say unless I see it, but $1200 doesn't seem overpriced.