PDA

View Full Version : Giving it up...

jesshamner
11-04-2004, 01:39 AM
I'm sad to announce that I will not be racing for the next few years. I have come to the conclusion that racing is too expensive for me at this point. I am working part time to pay for my apartment while I'm at school. My grades have been dropping b/c I have been working. Also, my advisor has been awful in helping me set up a schedule to finish in 4 years. As a result, I'm not even close to finishing and I'm in my 4th year. Here's the result of all this....My mom isn't paying for anymore college after the 5th year first semester. I will be forced to pay for it myself. I don't blame my mom at all. So now I'm suffering the consequences and giving up something I love until I can afford it. I'm sure I could race some events here and there but I have a feeling that it would only make things worse. I have an obsession with riding and quads in general. I will still be riding and practicing at local trails that are only a small burden on my wallet and can fullfill this obsession. I will be working hard on my skills for my comeback later. Please do not take this as some sort of scheme to get sponsorship or handouts. That is not the intent of this thread. I just feel like I need to let it out. Hopefully, this will free up a little money to get to some trails and ride with you guys! Just wish me luck....thats all.

cliq20
11-04-2004, 04:56 AM
that sucks man. but been there done that. gotta finish school that's more important. then when you get a job and are still single, then you can race. it gets harder when you have a wife and kids even.

by the way - GOOD LUCK! ;)

cliq20
11-04-2004, 07:04 AM
by the way, get as many student loans as you can. they are the cheapest money you can borrow anywhere. they usually give you extra each semester. as long as you aren't in private school you should be ok...

get that FAFSA filled out each year. you can defer payment until you graduate too. very nice. i locked in at like 3%. five years from now I might be making that on my savings account.

LTandRaptorider
11-04-2004, 08:46 AM
yeah, that sucks. But sounds like you have your priorities straight! ;) Good luck, finish your school work, racing will still be there when you are done. :cool:

Flynbryan19
11-04-2004, 09:22 AM
Lots of respect to ya my friend. ;) It takes ALOT of maturity to realize what you HAVE to do instead of what you WANT to do. You'll get to come back, and when you can afford it it will be even more rewarding because you won't have to worry where your next entry fee will be coming from. :) Good luck, and the best to you.

Lil - Braff
11-04-2004, 02:35 PM
That's a bummer to hear Jess but you gotta do what ya gotta do. I wish you the best of luck! ;)

geogeorge
11-04-2004, 06:17 PM
I know how you feel. I had to give up racing for three years why I went back to school. Talk about hard things to do. I had been racing for 10 years and then had to say good by to it all. The worst part is is that I knew I could not even keep a quad and do any play riding. It was hard to work full time and do school full time with having to pay all the bills with owning a house. Well good news is racing will always be there. bad news is. Damn these people have gotten fast because i know there is no way I got slow.:ermm:

Johnny & Monica
11-04-2004, 08:49 PM
Nope Geoff we`re just getting older an there young an getting faster:( We may as well except it an have fun.While we can still ride:blah:

geogeorge
11-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by mikeracerx34
Nope Geoff we`re just getting older an there young an getting faster:( We may as well except it an have fun.While we can still ride:blah:

I'v alread looked in to putting hole shots on a wheel chair. besides why do you think they make depends and velcrow. Its so old guys like you can still race. Me, I'm always going to be young. I start counting backwards next year. 38, 37, 36 hell it woun't be long untill I can race the pee wee class again.:cool:

400ex28
11-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by geogeorge
I'v alread looked in to putting hole shots on a wheel chair. besides why do you think they make depends and velcrow. Its so old guys like you can still race. Me, I'm always going to be young. I start counting backwards next year. 38, 37, 36 hell it woun't be long untill I can race the pee wee class again.:cool:

lolol