PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder head cover bolts???!

PsychoDave
04-15-2002, 07:41 PM
I was just in the process of finishing my 416 kit and i was torque-ing down the cylinder head cover bolts. My question is for all of the people who have had the cover off! When i was re- torque-ing the bolts they were never seeming to get to the 17 ft-lbs the spec sheet says.....I was torque-ing them slowly and going to each bolt after tightening the last bolt a little bit ( i was not tightening each bolt to spec then moving to the next one). I was afraid i was stripping the head so i only got to about 10 ft-lbs.... BUT some were torque-ing fine (only 2) but the others just seemed to be a bit weird.... the torque wrench is fine (it is a pole wrench...not clicker)....any suggestions or advice!

PS... I have built engines before and i know the "feel" of a torque wrench and the correct way to use it, my concern is that it is an aluminum head and i dont want to strip it!

400exRacerX
04-15-2002, 07:52 PM
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!

Dave,,,,,,why didnt you call me>???? The only bolt that is supposed to be at 17ftlbs of torque is the center BIG head cover bolt! The others are suppose to be at 9ftlbs. Hope you didnt do any damage.

Norm

PsychoDave
04-15-2002, 07:58 PM
ut oh......but i am looking at the book now and it says 17ft. lbs

PsychoDave
04-15-2002, 08:01 PM
i actually took out a couple of bolts to look at them.....there were NO metal shards on them (meaning i dont think i stripped them)

sly400ex
04-15-2002, 08:22 PM
Psycho-

I had the EXACT same problem as you. A few would torque to 17ft lbs, but most of them felt like that would be way too much and sure enough I snapped one of the bolts. 400ex is right, the only one to torque to 17ft lbs. is the big bolt in the middle. If you're going on Clymers manual says, it is decieving. Only the big inner bolt gets torqued to 17 ft lbs. I ended up doing all the rest to 6 ft. lbs. Someone on here mentioned 6, so thats what I did. No probs yet!!!

400exRacerX
04-15-2002, 08:22 PM
The book has a typo. Look in the ex tech section of this site and you will see. The head cover bolts are 6mm large flange bolts I BELIEVE. And the torque spec for a 6mm large flange bolt is 9ftlbs of torque.

Norm

PsychoDave
04-15-2002, 08:26 PM
i dont think i did damage.....but at least it started up and sounded tough...i will check it tomorrow and will retorque to 6-8 ft. lbs. thx....(dang it)

400exRacerX
04-15-2002, 08:26 PM
Dave,

If I were you I would inspect all the bolts for cracks in them so you dont snap one,,,, I think you should be fine though.

400exRacerX
04-15-2002, 08:28 PM
Was it alot louder than stock motor w/ a pipe? How does she run? Lean or rich? Idles good? Did you ride it yet?

I'm just alittle eager:D hehe Let me know the hole 416 review,,,,Norm

400exJOE
04-15-2002, 08:33 PM
Those *******s! Excuse my french, but I torqued them down to 17 (or tried) like my trusty clymer said and one of then totally stripped out! That sucks! I spent $120 and a whole day drilling and tapping and messing w/ heilli (sp?) coil! Oh well. Its in the past. Just venting.:rolleyes:

PsychoDave
04-15-2002, 08:33 PM
honestly...i thought the bolts looked a little streched!...the threads that is!...because i put thread lock on them.....i saw how far down they went.... i think i will just replace all of them and be safe....i think i am fine with the threads though!... i feel a bit better now that i know the correct torque

i didnt ride it yet ...it did sound a lot louder and idled great....it was real poppy

sly400ex
04-15-2002, 08:43 PM
I got lucky when my bolt snapped. I was torquing it down and it snapped, I thought oh ----, I'm going to have to tap it. But the luck of a life time, about 3/4 inch of the bolt broke off the end *partially*, when I got the bolt out, the broken part was just barely hanging on there. I barely touched it and it fell right off! Damn I was happy! Bad thing, each one of those bolts are about $5....at least thats what my dealer charged me.:rolleyes:

JhallettEX
04-15-2002, 08:55 PM
I put mine at 17 as well, broke 1 and pulled the threads out on 2.

400exRacerX
04-15-2002, 08:56 PM
Go to www.servicehonda.com they should be alittle cheaper.

400exJOE
04-15-2002, 08:57 PM
we should all call Clymer and demand new cylinder jugs! That would be sweet.:D

Red Rooster
04-16-2002, 05:59 AM
Well I have a stripped drain plug. SOMEONE tightend the bolt too tight and I Had to use a half inch ratchet to get it loose. Over sized drain plug comming up! I don't think i'll have to split the cases to retap it.:rolleyes: