PDA

View Full Version : 1st to 2nd problem

Sick0
04-15-2002, 07:24 PM
When I shift from 1st to 2nd, I like miss 2nd gear and goes into neutral and makes a grinding sound. It doesn't happen all the time and tends to happen when I'm shifting fast. It doesn't happen in othere gear. It started doing this about a month after I bought the quad. Its not a big problem and I have learn to live with it. Until this weekend when somebody at the pits said his 2nd gear didn't work. That got me thinking so I ask him if he had a problem like my. He said he had the same problem I had before he lost 2nd.
Does antbody any Ideas and is this a know problem.:devil

flying400ex
04-15-2002, 07:50 PM
Not much of that made sense but it sounds like you need new clutch plates and basket. Get a Hinson 8-Plate kit for it. You wont regret it.

Sick0
04-15-2002, 08:09 PM
I realy don't think its my clutch. I would have a problem in all the gears, right. I do like the hinson products. They look good. :devil

flying400ex
04-15-2002, 08:29 PM
Yes could be tranny.

Holty
04-15-2002, 08:52 PM
I think I know exactly what you are talking about. Sometimes when i'm shifting fast I will miss second and get this horrible screeching grinding sound. I don't know what it is exactly, but it only happens once in awhile and only when I miss a shift. I"m not worried about it really and I'm sure it's not the clutch cause my bike is still basically brand new. Although, if the clutch is not adjusted properly, that could be the problem.

04-15-2002, 09:02 PM
I have had this happen a few times also, hitting false neutral I think.

I do not think it would have anything to do with the clutch as it is happening in the trans.

I know in my experiences it has not happened when everything went right but rather when there were other issues or problems. It happened once when shifting from first at high rpm at the exact point of clutching and braking to avoid a real big and deep mud hole, I had thought that the combination of things going on had something to do with it.

Just my .02

Sick0
04-15-2002, 09:12 PM
Well holty, I was not worry about it too and learn to live with it problem. One of the kids at the pits said he didn't 2nd gear anymore and the problem started like what I've describe. So i'm now starting to worry. Maybe I can find out the problem now and save some headaces down the road.:devil

Quadfather
04-16-2002, 05:22 PM
Me and a buddy of mine seem to hit neutral between 1st and 2nd too. No grinding noises though.

JustRace
04-16-2002, 05:51 PM
Same here I hit neutral from 1st to 2nd also, but like others no grinding noise.

optikid123
04-16-2002, 05:57 PM
could it be that you guys are not shifting all the way to 2nd and getting like half way between neutral and 2nd cause then it would grind a little you may be hitting the shifter hard enough to get fully into second but i dont have a 400 so i wouldnt know

GrounD PoundeR
04-16-2002, 06:37 PM
Thats what is sounds like to me that your not engaging 2nd gear all the way. I had it happen to the first couple times I went riding. Nothing looks as bad when your racing and you dont pop it all the way.

Live and Learn.

twisted threads
04-17-2002, 02:41 PM
Mine 400ex was doing that also about a year and a half ago. My wife was riding it and she said it keeps hitting neutral but I thought that it was just her. Three days later (BOMB) there went the trany!!! We found out that the front counter sprocket bearings went out. It also had bent shifting fork that shifted the lower gears. Im not saying that your bikes are messed up, but if I would have listen to her It would have saved me some $$$$!

But if the trany wouldn't have went out I probley would not have the 440.:D

And yes I had to replace almost every thing in the trany and one side case!:eek:

04-17-2002, 03:25 PM
TO ME:rolleyes:

04-17-2002, 03:30 PM
what the he11 is a greenhorn??? :confused:

twisted threads
04-17-2002, 03:33 PM
Rico I was thinking the SAME THING!! :confused:

Sick0
04-17-2002, 04:00 PM
A green horn means a beginner. And, no I'm not a beginner. I don't have this promble in any othere gear.
Maybe it's the design of the tranny. When you shift from 1st to second it some how hits netrual. Some how something doesn't let second gear ingauge jumping over netrual. And maybe when this happens, it only half ingauge and could possible break your tranny.
I've never worked on a tranny, so I don't know how it exactly works but I'm just trying to think what the proble is. and find out how to fix it.:devil

trx400ex
04-17-2002, 04:20 PM
haha greenhorn = like beginer ,ameature etc.

haha i cant believe you guys never heard that

GrounD PoundeR
04-17-2002, 04:58 PM
Greenhorn is someone who is new at something. Kind of like saying your still wet behind the ears.:blah Is all I have to say about that.:D

mopar 400
04-17-2002, 05:52 PM
I have had a problem a few times when racing, I will upshift, and let out the clutch, and I did not get into second. This only happened a few times, and it was due to new boots and not being used to them all the way....

I do have another problem, I think it is my clutch, yet am not fully sure. Sometimes when I am at a stop, not moving, and I try to downshift, say from third to second, it will not catch second gear unless I let the clutch lever about half way out, then you hear the clutch click into gear. I think it is time for new clutch plates and basket, yet have not taken it apart to look yet...

Any one have any ideas?

Holty
04-17-2002, 06:21 PM
i also have that same problem when you are sitting still in 3rd gear and try to down shift you have to let out the clutch a little bit and then down shift. my bike has done that since it was 2 weeks old.....I don't worry about it though. if it breaks just fix it. until then you can't really do anything about it.