PDA

View Full Version : Not pleased with a arms!!!

1BAD4HUNDI
11-03-2004, 12:30 PM
I just got a new set of Burgard +2 a arms for my 400ex, and after ONE ride the powdercoating is chipped!! I paid over $600 and am a little mad they chipped after ONE ride!! Has anyone had the same problem?:mad: Here is a pic I just took.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/1BAD4HUNDI/DSC01659.jpg

YLW400
11-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Dude, powdercoat is not indestructible...lol

1BAD4HUNDI
11-03-2004, 12:38 PM
I understand that but after ONE ride!! The factory finish holds up better than that!

K_Fulk
11-03-2004, 12:48 PM
You could stay away from high weed, sticks, and rocks. :rolleyes:

The only way to keep them mint is to not use them.

1BAD4HUNDI
11-03-2004, 12:56 PM
O.K. I don't care if they chip, BUT AFTER ONLY ONE RIDE?!:confused:

K_Fulk
11-03-2004, 12:58 PM
You could take them all apart and have them re done, but its just gonna chip again. Dont matter what arms they are or who did them.

YLW400
11-03-2004, 01:11 PM
WHen you are riding in dirt, weeds, etc... you are basically sand blasting em' dude... It's hard on stuff....

zephead400ex
11-03-2004, 02:17 PM
I understand where you coming from dude, but understand that that sh*t will happen. That is why I my arms are nickel plated!:)

jeepnrocks
11-03-2004, 02:19 PM
I ride with 4hundi all the time, thru the same stuff all the time. My finish has had no problems and I am pretty sure its not powder coated. Powder coating is SUPPOSED to be more durable that regular paint. The problem is that we ride alot of rugged terrain and if they didnt hold up after one ride they are going to be bare metal in 2 monthes. Thats just unacceptable when you pay nearly 600 bucks for some a-arms that probably cost 80 bucks to make.

Out_Sider
11-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by jeepnrocks
I ride with 4hundi all the time, thru the same stuff all the time. My finish has had no problems and I am pretty sure its not powder coated. Powder coating is SUPPOSED to be more durable that regular paint. The problem is that we ride alot of rugged terrain and if they didnt hold up after one ride they are going to be bare metal in 2 monthes. Thats just unacceptable when you pay nearly 600 bucks for some a-arms that probably cost 80 bucks to make.

then why didnt he get nickel plate on the bottom

CTmxyfz
11-03-2004, 02:54 PM
how many threads are sticking out on the top balljoints and how many screws out on the bottom ones? Just asking because im putting on the exact same setup +2s and same color combo. IMO i hate these damn adjustments and bullchit. not as nice as my race bike walsh a arms:( If you could help me, i'd appreciate it.

DaleJrFan
11-03-2004, 06:04 PM
yeah, i would be upset too for $600. they powdercoat motorcycle frames and that last for a long time, granted they dont "off road" like we do but still i would expect more than one ride for $600.

R3Concepts
11-03-2004, 06:22 PM
80 bucks to make a-arms? Right. About the PC, it all depends on how thin or thick they spray them. My trans blue arms/swingarm get chipped by dropping a wrech on them when i work on my bike. Really not a huge deal. Most PC is cheap enough to do it once a year. Thats how racing goes. Also when you pay less then 600 for arms you cant really expect the PC job to be all that good.

jeepnrocks
11-03-2004, 06:40 PM
80 bucks may be on the low side but if your paying 500 bucks for a set of a-arms you can be pretty sure they cost no mre than 150 to make.. 200 at the very best. thats just my opinion. i spent 9 years in a manufacturing environment and i have a decent idea of what something costs and what it costs to make. how much do you think it costs sparks to make a pipe ? i would bet that the actual cost of making that pipe for something like a 400 ex is about 70 bucks

R3Concepts
11-03-2004, 06:46 PM
I own a fab shop(R3Concepts) trust me the steel prices are sky high right now. Plus the cost of ball joints and heim joints at about 30 bucks each. Also Im sure Sparks marks up there products as much as everyone else but I can tell you that the stainless is not cheap and neither is the ceramic coating they use on the mild steel pipes.

Pappy
11-03-2004, 08:55 PM
this is the 3rd set ive read about in like 2 days!

i told him about the other 2 tonight and now this. i suppose he had a batch that didnt go right because unless you rode thru some nasty crap they should have held up better then that.

and yes, pc is not indestructable and its more resistant to chipping or damage but it will do both.

send me a pm and ill take care of getting them refinished for you at no charge. ofcourse if i look them over and find its from rock damage then we will discuss it but i feel pretty safe in assuming that a batch went bad because all 3 sets have been red and done about the exact same time.

JDiablo
11-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
this is the 3rd set ive read about in like 2 days!

i told him about the other 2 tonight and now this. i suppose he had a batch that didnt go right because unless you rode thru some nasty crap they should have held up better then that.

and yes, pc is not indestructable and its more resistant to chipping or damage but it will do both.

send me a pm and ill take care of getting them refinished for you at no charge. ofcourse if i look them over and find its from rock damage then we will discuss it but i feel pretty safe in assuming that a batch went bad because all 3 sets have been red and done about the exact same time.

pappy i don't want any of parts parts done in red:eek2: even though it is just a-arms,just to be on the safe side:devil:

Pappy
11-03-2004, 09:05 PM
lol...it can happen to any shop or any pc shop. it happens and you may not know it until you have the phone ringing and people telling you there is an issue. at that point you do whats right and correct it.

im not going to cry foul, if he says its the first ride then i believe him. you dont get anywhere by not taking care of a complaint head on, you handle it. id be upset also unless i knew the damage was due to the conditions i was riding in. chipping is usually a problem with under curing of the part and if there is an issue with an oven setting or someone was in a hurry there is every bit the possiblity the coating was not at fault but human error.

i know of frames that lasted until the first washing...and this was work preformed by a reputable company. ive seen clear with cracks all thru it because it was undercured. ive seen all types of mistakes ...some even on my own work. it happens. its how the issue is dealt with thats important in my eye's.

and all your stuff will now be red:devil:

JDiablo
11-03-2004, 09:07 PM
well ok as long as it is hear by friday?:devil: then idc wat color it is,im dieing to get this thing back toghter,in school,i think how the housers will look on the frame,aint i a lil to obsessed:rolleyes: :blah: lol

redrider311
11-03-2004, 10:00 PM
1BAD4HUNDI.. quick question.. what company made your tie rods? i know its off topic.. but i just bought +2 burgards and i cant find tie rodsto fit my ends.. did you buy them straight from burgard?

Pappy
11-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by redrider311
1BAD4HUNDI.. quick question.. what company made your tie rods? i know its off topic.. but i just bought +2 burgards and i cant find tie rodsto fit my ends.. did you buy them straight from burgard?

the aftermarket tie rods you bought or had made sure sound like you were sent the wrong units. honda tie rod ends use the same thread pitch ...300ex,400ex,250R etc.

each tie rod end will only accept one specific end on the tie rod. one end is normal thread and the other is reverse thread.

1BAD4HUNDI
11-04-2004, 01:33 AM
The tie rods came from Burgard as well.

Pappy
11-04-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by 1BAD4HUNDI
The tie rods came from Burgard as well.

in a pm, he told me he had the tie rods made. if they came from burgard then they should fit the honda tie rod ends or he was shipped incorrect tie rods. he needs to clarify this.

jermill79
11-04-2004, 07:12 PM
the powdercoat should have held up for more than one ride

JDiablo
11-04-2004, 07:15 PM
not if rocks come flying at it,those certainley look like rock chips to me,as you can see it goes from scratch to gouge that is from rocks,if it were chipping it would be a even pieces falling off,you follow what im saying?

redrider311
11-04-2004, 07:31 PM
thanks alot pappy and 1BAD4HUNDI..
im going to buy the burgard tie rods..
and if they dont fit ill look into new ends...