PDA

View Full Version : Infamous Kickstarter Problem?

Extreem
11-03-2004, 10:49 AM
Hey....

New to the quad...what exactly is the problem and what can be done to avoid/correct it ?

Thanks

Blown 331
11-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Don't touch the throttle when you start it. It's not a problem with the bike, it's a problem with the operator.

Shuee_400
11-03-2004, 12:13 PM
LOL :)

YFZ450Ridr
11-03-2004, 01:42 PM
450r's kick on like the 2nd kick if not the first time every time. u can kick em sitting down when its hot.

xsr_racing28c
11-03-2004, 02:40 PM
are you refering to the not touching the throttle prob, or the prob with the kick starters falling off? mine fell off about 1 hours into riding it, all they did was put some locktite on the screw and replaced the bearing and spring since mine was lost... just take it off and throw some loc tite on it, and you will be set

ZRider400
11-03-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Extreem
Hey....

New to the quad...what exactly is the problem and what can be done to avoid/correct it ?

Thanks

be a little more specific....

Extreem
11-03-2004, 03:39 PM
I've been hearing that the cases can grenade ...

450 Racer R
11-03-2004, 04:07 PM
If you blip the throttle while trying to start it, you'll blow the case. It's ok to hold the throttle wide open with no problem though. This is only needed when the motor is flooded out. Just read the owners manual

Punk'd
11-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
are you refering to the not touching the throttle prob, or the prob with the kick starters falling off? mine fell off about 1 hours into riding it, all they did was put some locktite on the screw and replaced the bearing and spring since mine was lost... just take it off and throw some loc tite on it, and you will be set

Yea mine got to the point 2 were i couldnt unfold it. So i took it off n this ball comes out (oh man i was pissed chaseing it around the garage like a fool) then i finally got it and greased the puppy up and now it unfolds so easy:D

450 Racer R
11-03-2004, 06:23 PM
hey how'd you grease that up? my bro's has the same problem but mine works fine.

Punk'd
11-03-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Extreem
I've been hearing that the cases can grenade ...

Take the advise these people give you and you'll be fine the 450r is a wonderful quad and I have no probs with mine you will enjoy it.

Punk'd
11-03-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by 450 Racer R
hey how'd you grease that up? my bro's has the same problem but mine works fine.

Believe it or not Chain lube did the job. Its all I had at the time. Take it all apart n spray everything. Works like a charm;)

Southtown00
11-03-2004, 08:00 PM
This is the dumbest thing ive heard about the 450r. Ive never heard of anyquad that would crack the case if you pressed the throttle when you start it. It doesnt make any sense. What happens if the cylinder floods???

86atc250r
11-03-2004, 08:01 PM
If you blip the throttle while trying to start it, you'll blow the case.

Let's not get overly dramatic....

There have been a few isolated cases of this happening. I personally don't know anyone who has had or personally even seen this happen. When it does happen, it's not the case that breaks -- it's the sideplate.

There has been one picture circulating around the internet and being portrayed that this is a widespread problem that anyone who touches the throttle during starting has.

The truth of the matter is, with the 450R, you shouldn't touch the throttle when starting unless you are clearing it with full throttle operation. The reason for this is, if the quad won't start without throttle, something is wrong. The other reason is that dynamic compression increases when you open the throttle because the engine is allowed to draw in more air - which significantly increases the liklihood of a kickback.

redrider9045
11-04-2004, 05:16 AM
like my friend has a 450r and after they put the hrc kit in it it was easy to start in all gears but i dont know if it was just worn in or w/e

kazpr
11-04-2004, 06:03 AM
I saw a side case that was split first hand on the Nmotion 520 bike. The rider says he did not give the bike any throttle. But I would say that also with the engine builder standing right next to me.
:ermm:

11-04-2004, 07:34 AM
i havent had a single problem with my kickstarter..i love it

joe1l
11-04-2004, 10:47 AM
Its true I've only seen one pic and heard of 1 isolated story of this happening till now (Nmotion 520 guy). I'm a programmer and in our little world when something as rare as the kickstarter breaking the side case happens, we usually say the problems was caused somewhere between the chair and they keyboard, and that its not a software bug. :p But for some reason whenever people put togethor a list of problems with the 450R, they list that as one!! To me its like, holding the throttle wide open into a tree....I don't see that on lists of problems.

Blown 331
11-04-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Southtown00
This is the dumbest thing ive heard about the 450r. Ive never heard of anyquad that would crack the case if you pressed the throttle when you start it. It doesnt make any sense. What happens if the cylinder floods???

It's any 4 stroke, namely the larger ones. My 1984 Honda XR500R says, do not operate the trottle while starting. If you do it'll kick ya off.

450 Racer R
11-04-2004, 10:23 PM
^I've had my kicker lever kick back while holding the throttle part open trying to start it. And a friend of mine that runs the GNC curcuit say he blew his piston through his case (not sure on the wording, but the motor blew) on one of his bikes.

ZRider400
11-05-2004, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by joe1l
To me its like, holding the throttle wide open into a tree....I don't see that on lists of problems.

hahaha thats a good point:devil:

i agree with u 100%:)

Jersey450R
11-05-2004, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
i havent had a single problem with my kickstarter..i love it

JINX!

trout
11-05-2004, 07:48 AM
Ive said it before and Ill Say it again..................

I ride the Piss out of my quad, change the oil roughly every 100 miles or so, I let my friends ride it and they dont know what the hell they are doing. When they start it they are always using gas even though they were told not too, and on and on.

This Quad is bullet proof! I havent had nary a problem.

Now if one of those fat, overpaid, *******s does blow up my quad, at least I know they will buy me another one.

peace and dont worry about it, Honda=Rock Steady!
trout

outacontrol31
11-05-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Blown 331
It's any 4 stroke, namely the larger ones. My 1984 Honda XR500R says, do not operate the trottle while starting. If you do it'll kick ya off.
ya i had mine kickback once while i had boots on, as i got to the bottem of the kick my foot slipped off the kickstarter and it kicked back at the same time, it bruised my shin through the boot!!! i'm glad i didn't have shoes on cause it woulda freakin broke my shin, anyways i never touch my throttle when startin it but when it's cold(40 degrees or lower) it's kinda hard to start but i just turn on the choke and give it a kick or 2 and it cranks right up, but i agree, when it's the hottest is when it's the easiest to start. I ran the 6 hour race in texas earlier this year and 5 minutes after it was done i started it while sittin down and i only wiegh 130lbs. The 450 is fine, the only actual kickstarter problem i've had is it braken off at the pivot bolt, but i just got another one and it's no problem.

Extreem
11-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the replies...sounds like it isn't too big of an issue...I don't know if it's me, but whenever I stall the dam thing while riding slow, I have a hell of a time getting it started. I have to give it a little gas to get it to fire......

Guys got any ideas ?

86atc250r
11-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Use the hot start. Typically if the bike stalls when warm, there's a rich condition left in the cylinder that needs to be cleared.

The Hot start leans the mixture and helps light the engine off after a stall.

If for some reason you are needing fuel - then just give the throttle a couple stabs before you kick. The stock carb has an accelerator pump that blasts a shot of raw fuel into the intake every time you whack the throttle.

If you have to crack the throttle to get the quad to start, that might be indicative of a problem. What you are doing by cracking the throttle is increasing compression. Typically if one of these 4 strokes won't start without throttle, it indicates that the engine is in need of some maintenance - usually either adjusting the valves or maybe a set of rings.