PDA

View Full Version : Motor Question

Live2Ride300
04-15-2002, 06:57 PM
Im putting together a Honda XL200R dirtbike engine, i have everything together almost, I just have to drop the cam in, do few other miscelaneous things, and-adjust the timing. In the manual for the bike it doesnt really tell you how to get the timing right. I was wondering if any of you guys know a good rule of thumb for making sure its on the right stroke etc. This is our second attempt at getting it right. The first time the timing was way off and we ended up bending both valves stems because the timing was so bad that the piston was at TDC while the valves were opening and they slammed into the top of the piston and bent.:( So im hoping we get it right this time because that would suck if that happened again, so I thought i would ask for some advice. Thanx for reading this, sorry its so long though. I appreciate your help,

Later,
Charlie

04-15-2002, 07:05 PM
bump

Live2Ride300
04-16-2002, 06:57 PM
anybody know?

Live2Ride300
04-16-2002, 06:58 PM
please guys

MIKE400EX
04-16-2002, 08:06 PM
Unless I'm reading your post wrong, you said you just needed to drop the cam in, do some other things and adjust the timing. Sounds like the "adjust the timing" part is refering to the spark or ignition timing? The cam must be timed correctly to the crank, and also the ignition has to be timed (to the crank), those are two separate operations. Your cam was not timed correctly before, hence the bent valves. You'll have to get a repair manual for the timing procedureS, unless somone here can help.

Live2Ride300
04-17-2002, 07:12 PM
ya, i have a manual and everything, i just brought the motor to a guy in town, and i guess my cam sprocket wasnt in the right position, which is how the valves ended up bent, he is going to get everything straight for me. thanx for the help mike400ex