PDA

View Full Version : Went up a very steap hill and 400ex Died out ????

speedy
11-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Ok I went riding yesterday and went up a hill and when I got almost to the middle of it the quad just died for no reason that i could see because the gas was on but for some reason it died . Does any1 know Y this could be ???????

derekhonda
11-03-2004, 12:52 AM
Does it run now, or does it not work permanently?

MATTXR250R
11-07-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda
Does it run now, or does it not work permanently?

Good Question.

Speedy, I think if I were you I would give the float level height a look. Alot of people don't think about setting the float and keeping it at the correct height a normal part of mantinence..but it is. I was riding my XR250R one spring about 2 years ago or so and leading up to this day it had been running poorly..I didn't know quite what was going on...one day I went through a little creek crossing and when I came up the other bank I was in a field and nailed it and it just bogged and died. Took a good while to get it started..so I took it home..pulled off the carb to find the float level about 1" to high!!! It was running WAYYY Rich...I set the height to specs and took it back out and it ran awesome.;) :)

speedy
11-13-2004, 12:16 PM
I took the float cover off and found some kind of residue in the hole on the bottom where the jets suck the gas from, that could be the prob.

How would i adjust the float hight???

MATTXR250R
11-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Speedy...I am not sure what the float height should be set at on the 400ex..a manual will tell you or someone on this site will know for sure..a good rule of thumb is that when the float is set pretty much correctly the float will be parrell with the gasket surface on the carb...so you hold the carb at a 45 degree angle when checking. To adjust the float height...you will see a little tang in the middle..you bend it down to raise the float height(I think it goes that way)and up to lower it.

xX-400racer-Xx
11-14-2004, 08:02 PM
im not 100% sure on this but i dont think the float adjusts on a 400ex. on my 2000 the float is plastic and has a metal w/ rubber cone tipped plug. so like derekhonda said does it run now or is it permanently messed up. also that residue in the bottom is probably oxidised gas and might be plugging up your jet.:devil:

speedy
11-15-2004, 08:43 AM
No it always worked you just had to hold the throttle in a certain distance and it was fine running.

MATTXR250R
11-15-2004, 04:19 PM
The Float is diffently adjustable.