PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for trip to Glamis

Rickyrebar
11-02-2004, 05:01 PM
I am planning to take a family "winter vacation" to Glamis.
We have been to Florence & Sand Lake in Oregon. Beverly & Moses Lake in Washington.
We live in Washington, so this will be a long haul and would like to do it right the 1st. time and avoid any confusion and problems in going to unknown territory.
Will be making the journey with a 26' "Gear Box", 2 kids & a wife.
Figure on making it a 2 week trip, door step to door step, 4 days travel, 10 days play. Should we plan on spending all our "riding" time @ Glamis?
I would like to here from anyone who has made this trip before, what to expect, what not to expect. Based on our previous dune adventures localy, what is different about Glamis...sounds "remote", is it a good place to take a family? Etc...

SHOCKER
11-02-2004, 09:31 PM
very good place to take a family, but if ya go try to go or meet with someone who knows it, that way ya can go on a ride with someone who knows glamis really good, glamis is the best place down here in so cal and you definently should spend all your time there because you will love it, 10 days at glamis is like 10 days in heaven, you would probably have to run to yuma and get gas, but if you are going to go someitme around christmas i would stay at the washes, gecko road can be pretty crazy and the flats are pretty crowded, but if ya stay in the washes you are right on the dunes and ya can stay at wash 13.5 with my friend at glamisdunes.com, if ya want ya can go on there and try to meet with people who are going out when you are and they will be more then happy to show ya around glamis

Karizz
11-03-2004, 05:20 AM
I've been there 5 times....best thing you can do is get a handheld GPS....then go to BansheeBobs Glamis GPS coordinates page(do a google search for website) and start heading towards them places when you get there.You will meet some nice people out there! Its a Blast! Some places you will want to go to is...China Wall,Boardmanville,Plane crash site,Bombing targets!

Heres China Wall...............

Dunesurfer
11-07-2004, 06:42 PM
You will love Glamis, Bring your supplies with you. The nearest town is Brawley. Try to find someone to show you around it is BIG and easy to get lost. Let us know when and we might be able to show you around. Paddles are a good idea. You will need flags for all the quads and helmuts of course.

Have fun

ckasper18
11-08-2004, 06:54 AM
I also have a long drive from green bay wis like 36hrs but well worth the trip.First year out i went all bt myself and let me tell you its easy to get lost in the dunes.After my second day there i met up with some very nice people from calofornia and rode with them the rest of my trip and it was awesome.This is now my fifth year in a row going and i look forward to it every year.The GPS thing is a great idea so make sure you have one of them and plenty gas as well.I am leaving this saturday night after the atva racing meeting here in wisconsin and hope to be there tuesdayafternoon.The key word is have fun and ride safe.

Chris
www.wisconsinquadracing.com

Aallron
11-17-2004, 12:40 AM
Just got back from Glamis on the 14th and it has rained there pretty recently so the sand is compact for the tow rig to not get stuck. The good/bad is that the winds have been pretty calm. Great for camping but the dunes are pretty choppy. It is not too remote ... closest gas is at the Glamis beach store but bring a fat wallet as everything at the Glamis Beach Store is expensive. Best bet for supplies is in Brawley about 1/2 hr to the west.

I do not want to scare you off, but remember that this is southern california with some real stupid people. Bring a chain and lock up everything at night.

You need to buy a pass to camp/use the dunes at Glamis and you can buy them at Gecko Rd. or Glamis Flats. You will also need whips and flags on all off road vehicles. Helmets are mandatory and there is no double riding (except for dune buggies) allowed.

On Saturday afternoon, around noontime by the Ranger Station on Gecko Road, there is an impromtu sand drag... usually lots of FAST high buck buggies and bike/quads.

Due to too many punks, there is a curfew at Competition Hill at night, but Oldsmobile hill is open. You can see Competition hill from the road and Olds is SW of dune buggy flats... just follow the trails.
As stated earlier, paddle tires are highly recommended ... long steep bowls.

At the other end of the Imperial Sand Dunes (SE) of Glamis there are other riding areas ... Gordons Well ... Best place for the kids ... the crazies dont go there ... Buttercup, legendary, across the highway from Gordons Well and these are still in the I.S.D.R.A. (Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area) so all the requirements about flags and stuff still apply and you are about 20 miles from Yuma.

One warning about the ISDRA ... people camp all over the place and usually have a kids track close by that they leave behind, so be carefull running at full speed across what appears to be a flat wide open area ... there is a kid track there and you dont want to hit any of it at speed.

West of Glamis is a place called Ocotillo Wells, this is ALL rock and dirt and rather rough riding but if you are into that. It is about 45 mins to an hour away. Lots of putt putt graded roads with more challanging terrain just off the road.

Bring lots of film and a good camera as most of the sunsets are rather remarkable.

If you camp at the northern portions ( Dune Buggy Flats, Glamis Beach store etc.) there are freight trains that run through the night. Last Saturday night I counted 6 from about 8:00 P.M. to 6:00 A.M. It is not really a problem but they are there. Gecko Road goes to the SE for about 5 miles and there are 2 improved camp areas ... Roadrunner being the first you come to and I forget the name of the second. There are bathrooms (bring your own TP) and pretty flat areas to park your rig on.