PDA

View Full Version : Painting frame

04-15-2002, 06:19 PM
I was wondering if whoever painted their frame could tell me what kind of paint they used. I painted my frame black already but it's not holding very well. Plz respond

ridered300
04-15-2002, 06:26 PM
paint wont hold, powdercoat it. Its solid as a rock and looks great check out mine after I powdercoated a bunch of stuff. Let me know what u think.

DEAL
04-15-2002, 06:34 PM
My buddy's 400ex , had it powdercoated in burnside.

04-15-2002, 07:48 PM
I know powdercoating is the way to go ,but, we have very limited money to spend so we painted our frame and it is holding up very well. First you need to get all of the parts off and get it very clean with a degreaser and pressure wash. Then sandblast all of the rusty or cracked areas. If you use a good quality self etching primer or epoxy primer it will insure that the paint sticks. For a color coat we used acrylic enamel with a urethane hardener that is quite durable and chemical resistant. Because I paint a lot we had a lot of the materials on hand so the whole job only cost about 40.00 but looks like a million. The stripping and cleaning would have to be done anyway to powdercoat. All of the materials can be found at a good auto supply like NAPA . These materials were applied by a spray gun according to the label directions not spray cans. I hope this helps, Jim

Honda Guy
04-16-2002, 06:38 AM
What if you powercoat your frame then later you decide you want to change the color of you frame agin can you take the powercoat off? HOW?

CBW
04-16-2002, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Honda Guy
What if you powercoat your frame then later you decide you want to change the color of you frame agin can you take the powercoat off? HOW?

Powdercoating can be removed in various ways. The categories are mechanical, thermal, chemical and themmo-chemical. But since most of the categories are industrial processes,,,, the most practical way for the part owner to have the part stripped is to have it blasted,,steel shot is the most aggressive and poly-abrasives are the softest,,but sand blast is the most commonly used,,,,,,or if you want to do it your self you can chemical strip the part.

Honda Guy
04-16-2002, 07:58 AM
CHRIS WATERS how much do you generaly charge for a basic red on the Frame, subframe, a arms & hubs?

CBW
04-16-2002, 06:12 PM
CHRIS WATERS how much do you generaly charge for a basic red on the Frame, subframe, a arms & hubs?

i sent you a pm,,,,,,,,but oops i forgot a price on the hubs:eek: ...guess i'll send another:D

Jim300ex
04-16-2002, 09:54 PM
how much would it cost for my whole frame to be powder coated, can they powdercoat in red also i know a guy... i think he'll give me a deal

Honda Guy
04-17-2002, 12:51 PM
this may sound stupid but whats a PM (personal message)? How do I check it?

CBW
04-17-2002, 02:24 PM
this may sound stupid but whats a PM (personal message)? How do I check it?

press your user cp button,,,,,,,and then it should bring up any messages you may have;)