PDA

View Full Version : Just how tuff IS Honda?

gate_keeper_32
11-02-2004, 01:11 PM
I've had Honda products all my life starting out with trikes, quads, motorcycles, cars, generators, and etc... I've NEVER had a honda blow an engine on me. I can remember when I had a 1987 250x and I beat the ever luvin sh$t outa that thing, never changed the oil, in fact it leaked oil so profusely that it was probably equivelent to an oil change.:D I would run that 250x so hot that my leg would be burning up from the exhaust pipe.

Here's the best story I have. My cousin gave me a weedeater made by Honda and said that it had been sitting outside in the weather for about 2 years and he didnt want it. So I took it and got it running and used it for 2 years. I bought a new one so I thought, "let me see if I can blow this thing up". I put straight gas in it (it was 2 cycle) I fired it up and it ran like a champ. but within about 1/2 hour, the motor finally seised up on me. I took the plug out of it and got a long drift punch and hammer, and knocked the piston loose from the cylinder wall. It fired right back up!!! That thing would run for a 1/2 hour clip before it would lock up on me. I finally got tired of taking the spark plug out and give up...It beat me!!! I must have done this 10-12 times before I gave up. I finally give the weedeater back to my cousin and he has been using it for 2 more years, with mixed gas of course.

Anyhoo, I've always had great luck with Honda products and I am hoping that my 400ex lasts me for years to come.:blah:

EXJUMPER
11-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Yes, Hondas are tough. My best story is that I bought a 1981( I think it was a 81) CR250R dirt bike and when I went to look at it, it was really rough. The fenders were broke, seat was tore, radiator shrouds were missing and the kick starter was missing. The guy told me it ran but needed work, so I told him if it starts I'll buy it. So we took it out front and push started it. The damn thing started up, but he was right.....it needed work. So I gave him $300.00 for it and took it home. As soon as I got home I started tearing it apart and when I tore the jug off I about **** myself. The piston exploded and there was maybe only a little over half of it left:eek2: :eek2: The rest went into abunch of little pieces and was in the bottom end. The part that surprised me is that the damn thing still ran.

gate_keeper_32
11-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by EXJUMPER
Yes, Hondas are tough. My best story is that I bought a 1981( I think it was a 81) CR250R dirt bike and when I went to look at it, it was really rough. The fenders were broke, seat was tore, radiator shrouds were missing and the kick starter was missing. The guy told me it ran but needed work, so I told him if it starts I'll buy it. So we took it out front and push started it. The damn thing started up, but he was right.....it needed work. So I gave him $300.00 for it and took it home. As soon as I got home I started tearing it apart and when I tore the jug off I about **** myself. The piston exploded and there was maybe only a little over half of it left:eek2: :eek2: The rest went into abunch of little pieces and was in the bottom end. The part that surprised me is that the damn thing still ran. :eek2: :eek2:

400exstud
11-02-2004, 03:35 PM
how could it possibly run if the piston was in pieces. broken piston= no compression.

EXJUMPER
11-02-2004, 04:11 PM
It broke just under the rings. I think my dad still has the piston in his shed, if I find it I'll post a picture of it.