PDA

View Full Version : idle screw doesnt work

ny300exrider
11-02-2004, 11:07 AM
on my 400ex the idle screw just doesnt do anything. i want to adjust the speed of my idle but the only way for it to work is to tighten or loosen the barrel adjuster on the actual throttle making it give it gas to idle. this makes it very twitchy and the slightest touch of the barrel adjuster changes the idle. when i turn the idle screw(its deifnitly the silver screw with a flathead cut on choke side of quad right?) it just turns and notihng happens. should i loosen the barrel adjuster all the way so it isnt idling and then try turning the screw?

its just annoying having to fiddle with the barrel adjuster all of the time, and an example is when its idling correct you can lean on the throttle cable and it will start giving it more gas because the cable needs to be tight to give it gas.

mojoe2878
11-02-2004, 11:24 AM
the idle screw is on the choke side and it has a cable attached to it running to the linkage on the carb. take the side throttle linkage cover off the carb and turn the idle screw and see if the threaded part in there is moving. if its not then the cable for the idle screw is broken and needs replaced. if the threads are moving up and down then try this, unscrew the adjuster at the thumb throttle all the way untill its got all the slack it can get, also unscrew the idle adjustment on the carb some untill it doesnt touch the throttle linkage any more, then tighten it untill it touchs the linkage and moves it upward about an 1/8 of an inch or so. try to start the engine and adjust the screw in or out which ever is needed until you get a good idle. after you get the idle set at the carb, adjust the cable at the thumb throttle till its where you need it.

ny300exrider
11-02-2004, 01:03 PM
thanks a ton man, i know the idle screw is threading because i almost accidently threaded it all out so im going to try the second thing you said. if i have any questions i will ask you and ill let you know how it works, thanks again!