PDA

View Full Version : Paragon, PA

MikeL250X
04-15-2002, 05:39 PM
Hey guys, I'm taking a weekend trip to Paragon in PA, anyone have any trail advice, I've never been there and I'd like to know the range of trails, I'll have a lesser expereinced rider with me, so I'd like to know some casual routes as well. Thanks guys.

NJ300ex
04-15-2002, 05:56 PM
Ok i was just there last weekend with ex'rmarlin. It was great and very big. You need to have a flag to ride there. You can buy one there for 10 dollars. Also when you sign the liability papers and whatnot you will be given the map and a wristband. All the trails have names and you will be able to tell what trails are hard and what are not by the names. Pretty much if the first part of the trail is rocky expect the rest to be. The boundaries of the park are marked by big piles of boulders and little flags. We managed to get out of the parks property because some boundaries are not marked well at all. There is staff all over the park also and feel free to ask them for help or directions. Their trucks will have yellow flags instead of orange.

We did not hit all the trails there while riding at a pretty fast pace all day. It is very rocky in some sections and you definatly need skidplates especially a swingarm skid. If you go slow on the trails you won't have problems with rocks but if you are going fast be prepared to break some stuff. I got a flat tire on my stock fronts and bent my stainless steel protect swingarm skid. Bring some tire plugs and an air pump.

The trails differ alot. I recommend going on the pipeline. It is sandy and has a couple little jumps and there are smaller trails that go off of it then loop back around to it. Also in the parking area, if you go to the back of it there is this sand pit like area that is fun to mess around in. It has some pretty good hill climbs and little jumps. Some trails were very nice and not that many rocks but then we got stuck on this one trail were we actually had to push our bikes up them. It was really big rocks. there was also some watercrossings.

Basically be prepared for alot of rocks and you can PM me if you have any more questions.

bsb64
04-15-2002, 07:00 PM
Hello I'm interested in going to paragon soon. Question.....would it be worth it to bring my son on his LT80? Will a smal quad make it through the trails? Also, do they require registration?

NJ300ex
04-15-2002, 07:52 PM
If your son is a good rider and you want to stay on the very easy trails then yes it would be ok to bring him. But while we were there there was a family from California with a little boy on one of those mini raptors and the dad ended up riding it up the hills and pretty much everywhere for the little guy the whole time. An lt-80 will not make it through alot of the trails and will be very slow going on them. It may be worth it though.

They do not require registration. The do require you to match the manufactures recomended age for the machine though but they aren't strict about it, it seems. No place in PA requires registration from people from out of state unless you are riding on state trails then you need your states registration.

bsb64
04-15-2002, 08:16 PM
Thanks 300, I think we will try it. Take our time and check it out. I have a tow rope that I use when we get in real tough terrain. He is a pretty good rider as well. Thanks again. Being a resident of the "garden state" I'm ready to try anything, it really sucks that we have to feel guilty anywhere we ride. Looks like PA is the way to go.

Ex'r Marlin
04-15-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by MikeL250X
Hey guys, I'm taking a weekend trip to Paragon in PA,
What date(s) are you plan on going?

Expect to do some "off roading" even before you get to the sign up area! If you have a low sitting vehicle, you may not want to take the trail that leads to where you sign in and register. It is about 1/2 mile of some off-roading. (No problem with SUV's and Pickups with some ground clearence).

Trail advise: Be prepared to bounce around a lot! If you are used to flat, level ground, this is just the opposite. Very scenic views with miles of trails. Lots of trees, tree stumps, tree roots, rocks, some small, some large, some round, some pointed, water crossings, mud, and Mike's (NJ300ex) favorite, puddles. Expect some mild hill climbs on the main trails, and some technical, rocky, advanced side trails. One trail is called, "The Big, The Bad, The Ugly." Yes, it is a bit on the brutal side.

Cost is $15 for the day, plus you need to get/have a whip flag. The trails are very well marked, and with a map, you should be able to get around ok. Like Mike said, there are staff workers with the yellow flags that will aid you if needed.

I hope I didn't scare you out of going, I think the riding area is a blast. Even though I too ended up with a flat tire and bent rim, oh well, it was still a great ride.

Note: If you like to see 4x4 vehicles in action, like Jeeps, Land Rovers, Land Cruisers, ect., you will love this place. They don't go fast, they actually go real slow, but it is very cool watching them if you are into that.

Good luck, and yes, I recommend taking your son there..... Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

MikeL250X
04-16-2002, 08:05 AM
We are going the weekend of the 27th, personally I ride over everything, smooth trails get boring :D This place sounds like alot of fun.

How do you mount a flag to say a stock 400ex? my 250x has a DG grab bar with the mounting bracket for one, can you clamp a flag to a stock grab bar?

NJ300ex
04-16-2002, 01:44 PM
There is a place to mount the flag on the stock grab bar.

rossano
04-22-2002, 01:50 PM
HE COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER. ME AND 7 OTHER GUYS WENT THERE 3 WKS AGO, AND IT WAS COOL IN THE AREA RIGHT BEHIND THE PRKNG LOT...THEN WE FOLLOWED A LONG TRAIL RIGHT OUT OF THE DAMN PLACE! WE ENDED UP ABOUT 3 TOWNS/12 MILES AWAY FROM PARAGON. WE RODE PUBLIC STREETS FOR 30 MIN. JUST TO GET BACK! WE ARE DOWNSTATE NY-ERS, SO WE WERE BAFFLED BY SO MUCH RIDING LAND. IT WAS DESTINED THAT WE GOT LOST. ANYWAY, WE'RE GOING BACK IN TWO WEEKS. MY 400EX WAS GREAT-TOOK THE ABUSE ALL DAY (AND I MEAN ABUSE)...BUT ****E TWO OF OUR FRIENDS HAD RAPTORS AND THEY BLEW US AWAY ON TOP-END RUNS. BASTARRDS!!! I WILL CHOKE THEM. F THEM I HATE THEM.
ALSO, I HIT A DITCH (4 FT WIDE) 4TH GEAR WFO...NO CHEST PROTECTOR...EARLY ON IN THE DAY, I WAS RUSTY & NOT LOOKING UP AHEAD FAR ENOUGH...DESTROYED MY STERNUM AND RIGHT WRIST...HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO CATCH YOUR BREATH AFTER GETTIN' THE WIND KNOCKED OUT OF YOU WHILE TRYING TO YELP IN AGONIZING PAIN AT THE SAME TIME? IT SOUNDED REEELY FUNNY...ALWAYS A HUMBLING EXPERIENCE...HEADS UP FELLAS

Trail advise: Be prepared to bounce around a lot! If you are used to flat, level ground, this is just the opposite. Very scenic views with miles of trails. Lots of trees, tree stumps, tree roots, rocks, some small, some large, some round, some pointed, water crossings, mud, and Mike's (NJ300ex) favorite, puddles. Expect some mild hill climbs on the main trails, and some technical, rocky, advanced side trails. One trail is called, "The Big, The Bad, The Ugly." Yes, it is a bit on the brutal side.