PDA

View Full Version : I need to reverse my rear brake block off.

gate_keeper_32
11-02-2004, 05:55 AM
I bought a 400ex about a month ago and the guy who had it before me removed the parking brake and installed the "block off" on it, but I want to put the P-brake back on it. I am assuming that the only advantage of it is to save weight??? Well, I am a 235 lb. rider and I dont think that a piece of metal and a cable will make that much of a difference.

So here is my question, does anyone have the parts laying around to install my parking brake back to stock? If so, would you want to sell them to me? I would also be willing to trade my block-off for the stock parts.

I've been looking through ebay for about 2 weeks now and I havent seen any of the parts I need for it. The worse case scenario would be that I would have to just buy everything new, which I dont mind doing, but I figured that as many people who remove the P-brake, there should be someone who has what I need just taking up space.

Eddie

sickmojave
11-02-2004, 06:15 AM
I have all the parts. do you need the hand lever or do you have it? PM me and we can work something out.;)

44oEX
11-02-2004, 06:57 AM
not to ruin your deal or anything but the removal of the park brake is because it only works for about 5 minute when it's new and then never works again anyway. So people take it off.

cheetah
11-02-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by 44oEX
not to ruin your deal or anything but the removal of the park brake is because it only works for about 5 minute when it's new and then never works again anyway. So people take it off.

Exactly. I was lucky mine made it week.:eek:

K_Fulk
11-02-2004, 07:19 AM
There lucky if they work a couple days.

sickmojave
11-02-2004, 07:45 AM
Thanks guys :grr: j/k lol

gate_keeper_32
11-02-2004, 07:56 AM
When I had my 300ex, I never had a problem with it, nor my 250x. But then again, I dont ride in mud or anything so that may have something to do with it. I also use a cable luber about once a week in all of my cables.

sickmojave,
I'll PM you in a minute.

44oEX
11-02-2004, 08:01 AM
it's your call but personaly I wonn't put it back. it never works and if you need a park brake just put it in gear and it won't go anywhere

44oEX
11-02-2004, 09:17 AM
why would it messup the tranny. it is designed to take a beating:confused: and if you put it in the back of a truck tie it donw

gate_keeper_32
11-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by hondaexrider
my friend ust to use the in gear all the time to park his quad and eventully it just went out because of it . but he did treat his quad like chit . i dunno

I would venture to say that just putting it in gear wont wear any tranny parts out or make it break. It goes through waaay more stress during normal riding conditions than it does just sitting there or even riding in the bed of a truck.

Engine Tech
11-02-2004, 10:46 AM
Leaving the parking brake off is a good idea they do not work very well and to keep them properly adjusted causes you brakes to drag and wear out your pads pre-maturely.

Transporting you quad in gear is hard on your transmission due to the gears chattering back and forth. The best option is to haul in neutral and securely tie down.

www.enginetechatv.com/

red2004 TRX450R
11-03-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
There lucky if they work a couple days.

ya my 450r never worked. But i never tryed to adjust it!!!

and im to lazy to put on a block off also!!
:o

Aarons 01 400EX
11-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Anyone have a pic of what this block off plate looks like? Maybe a "how to" site?

I bought my 440 without an e-brake and there was no block off plate.

K_Fulk
11-07-2004, 12:12 PM
http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/a6/53/17_1.JPG

Here is a picture of one off ebay.

44oEX
11-07-2004, 12:56 PM
you don't really need a how to. You take out two bolts and the old plate then put the new plate on then the two bolts.

Aarons 01 400EX
11-07-2004, 01:48 PM
What do you do with the middle part that unscrews?

jesshamner
11-07-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Aarons 01 400EX
What do you do with the middle part that unscrews?

The whole assembly comes off. There is a stud behind it that the adjuster pushes on. When I installed the moose block off (the one pictured above), the blockoff didn't clear the stud. I had to do some grinding to get it to fit. Not major surgery though.

Keep the block off. Get a new easy pull lever too. It makes the bars look really clean.

Rootar
11-08-2004, 07:20 AM
[QUOTE]
Transporting you quad in gear is hard on your transmission due to the gears chattering back and forth. The best option is to haul in neutral and securely tie down.
QUOTE]

i agree with this never haul your quad in gear always put it in neutral and dont use the parking brake either your needs to beable to move around alittle when its tied down good