PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 2 disc read error!!

2001300exguy
11-01-2004, 08:54 PM
i no im not the only one that this has happend to. it wont read anything pops up disc read error on browser menu or doesnt even dedect the disc.
im wondering what can do. my friend said he sent it to sony and the fixed it for free all he had to do was pay for shipping and handling.is this true if so where do i sent it to exact adress and how much is shipping and handling
thanks

I-7
11-01-2004, 08:58 PM
I had the same problem... We called sony and they go over the problem for you for a while and you send it to their company. We did that... and we got it back 2 months later. Played it for about 2 days and it happened again. We sent it back to sony and it took another 2 and a half months and we got it back and its been working ever since. Its the only way to have it fixed properly I guess but you wont be able to play it for a While...

1-800-345-7669

Thats the number for Sony Playstation

And yes... everything is free. They also sent us a free atv offroad fury 2 cd when it broke because it ate the cd and scratched the crap out of it. Sony has good customer service people... just a long turn around time

kamikaze_rzrbak
11-01-2004, 09:38 PM
What you need

Before attempting the fix described below, read through this guide completely in order to familiarize yourself with the steps involved. Once that is done, gather the following items.

Standard Phillips screwdriver
#0 Phillips screwdriver (or eyeglass-sized)
Cotton swabs
Isopropyl rubbing alcohol
Felt-tip pen or marker

Optional cleaning tools.
Vacuum
Can of compressed air
Screws and stickers

Before you do anything, disconnect the PS2's power and video connections. On the bottom of the PS2 are 10 square-shaped screw covers. Four of these double as rubber feet for the PS2 (when the device is laying flat.) Remove these covers to access and remove the screws. Some of the screws will be longer/shorter than the others so keep track of what goes where.

Removing the case

Once you've removed the screws, it's time to break the seal and completely void whatever warranty you may have had. Seriously, there is a "warranty seal" sticker near the PS2's power connector that must be removed in order to gain entrance to the innards of the beast.

With the screws removed and the warranty sticker "void," gently turn the PS2 right side up. Carefully remove the top cover by lifting the back edge and pulling it toward the front of the unit until it clears the controller jacks as well as the front of the disc tray.

You'll notice a metallic ribbon or white wires (depending on your PS2's age) connecting the main base to the eject/play buttons on the top cover. Remove the tape that normally holds this wire in place and set the top cover off to the side. Don't try to disconnect the ribbon/wires. There should be enough slack for the cover to lie off to the side.

Before moving on to the disc tray cover, now is a good time to blow out the dust that has collected around the fan and main circuit board. A can of compressed air will do the job nicely.
With the PS2 splayed open, the disc tray cover removed, and the unit plugged in, eject the disc tray.

Toward the back of the PS2, behind the laser, is a white gear about 0.75-inches in diameter. This gear adjusts the distance between the disc surface and the laser's eye. It's also the key to fixing a PS2 that frequently suffers from disc read errors (DREs.) On the left side of the white gear will be a notched metal tab or a smaller brass-colored gear.

Use a felt-tip pen to mark the white gear at the point it contacts the tab/smaller gear. This provides a reference point for the original position of the gear as we prepare to make our adjustment(s). Now would be a good time to gently clean the laser's eye using a cotton swab dampened with a bit of rubbing alcohol.

Adjusting the gear position in order to fix DREs involves the following steps.
Turn the white gear a notch or two (clockwise or counterclockwise)
Replace disc cover (holding it in place with your hand)
Insert a DVD
If it works, insert a purple game disc
If it works, insert an audio CD
If all three work, you are finished.

If any of the disc types fail to be read follow these steps.
Eject the disc
Remove the disc tray cover
Move the gear a notch or two (perhaps in the other direction)
Replace disc cover (holding it in place with your hand)
Retest until all three disc types are properly detected

Once you have correctly positioned the gear and all disc types are reading properly, reassemble your PS2

11-01-2004, 10:40 PM
heres what you do in 2 easy steps...

1. sell the PS2 with the disk read error on ebay & say that it is having that problem, you will still get money for it
2. purchase a xbox & halo 2 with that money

have fun with your better console

Kennethyfz450
11-01-2004, 10:48 PM
That was about the dumbest thing i ever heard tradding a ps2 for a xbox......

i know my friend had trouble with his ps2 he called ps and they sent him a new ps2 and sent his old one to ps and hasnt had trouble since with his ps2.:D

250rmike
11-01-2004, 10:55 PM
mine did that too i just tipped it on its side and put the disk in and it works now so i left it on its side. wroked for me maybe you should try it

HondaRancherES
11-02-2004, 07:21 AM
Trust me that you do not wanna take it apart yourself. My husband took mine apart and couldn't believe how poorly made it was so we scraped it and bought a new one with a 2 or 3 year warrenty.

JUSTINcredible
11-02-2004, 07:39 AM
yea dude dont take it apart. Call the number that I-7 posted and they will get you taken care of with a new Ps2. same thing happend to mine and witnin 1 month i had a new one at my house and ready to play. They do have great customer service.

trick450r
11-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Screw it...i just took of my case...took of the disk cover...cleaned the eye and the rest of the mechanism put it back together and it works awsome...i had to do it once or twice more and now its starting to do it gain so i'll do it again tonight...i dont even put my case back on...it looks sick!!:blah: :macho :chinese:

dirtmomma
11-02-2004, 08:34 AM
YEP we have the same problems w/ ours!! I'm curious for those of you that sent them back & got new ones how old where they?? We've had ours for about 3 yrs. it's been doing this for the last year about :confused: My hubby has taken it apart cleaned it, I even bought a PS2 repair guide on Ebay & they used that but it still does it, not on all the games but most!! I wonder whats up w/ that?????? Wonder if Sony is making them any better now???? Whats this 2-3 yr warranty????? Where do you get that?? Thanks!!

I think I like the selling it on Ebay but buying ANOTHER PS2 :) Now ya can't play ATV offroad fury on Xbox can you???

dpizz450
11-02-2004, 09:11 AM
um i think i screwed up really bad. i broke t he white ribbon that connects the ps2 to the eject and open button. is there anyway i can fix this? or am i screwed?

dunnonuttin
11-02-2004, 11:51 AM
take it apart and lightly blow it out with an air compresser

JDiablo
11-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by trick450r
Screw it...i just took of my case...took of the disk cover...cleaned the eye and the rest of the mechanism put it back together and it works awsome...i had to do it once or twice more and now its starting to do it gain so i'll do it again tonight...i dont even put my case back on...it looks sick!!:blah: :macho :chinese:

i want to see pix!:D

kamikaze_rzrbak
11-02-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by YZrida
um i think i screwed up really bad. i broke t he white ribbon that connects the ps2 to the eject and open button. is there anyway i can fix this? or am i screwed?
is it broke or did it come out of it's socket??
if it didnt tear then you can put it back in place. You will need some tweasers a flashlight and some patience. The little white ribbon connects below the disc tray. there will be a little white square looking thing that the ribbon mates to, it has some little bronze pieces inside of it and it is the same width of the ribbon. take your tweasers and get a good hold of the ribbon a couple of inches back from the tip. and insert it and push it back as far as it goes, and DONT be forceful! it is pretty fragile and there are some delicate things inside your PS2 that you dont want to stab with tweezers:)

I-7
11-02-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by trick450r

I did that with mine and it worked for a couple hours and then it happened again... it was a more serious problem and it seems pretty similiar to what happened with me. And I would seriously consider putting that case back on the ps2 because static electricity can severley damage it just like it does for computers

APK400exRacer
11-02-2004, 01:39 PM
my xbox does this, anyone know there number? I wish i got a Ps2

JUSTINcredible
11-02-2004, 03:14 PM
if you decided to take it apart there is nothing anyone can do for you. they will not give you a new one or fix it for free if you took it apart. They seemed to be very strict on that. best thing would be just leave it together and call the number, send yours in and within a month for sure you will have a new Ps2 at your doorstep!

Jersey450R
11-02-2004, 03:20 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kennethyfz450
[B]That was about the dumbest thing i ever heard tradding a ps2 for a xbox......
i second that!!

HondaRancherES
11-02-2004, 07:53 PM
We bought our 2nd PS2 at Best Buy. That's how I got a 2 year warrenty. We he took it apart he broke the ribbon thst goes somewhere so I got a new one and when the lady ask if we wanted to buy a warrrenty we both almost laughed when we said yes.

TheMachine
11-02-2004, 07:59 PM
This may sound crazy, but when mine did that i got on ebay and thought i was buying a booklet on how to fix my ps2, but i was really buying a website to tell me how. I got on the website and it showed my step by step how to take it apart and fix it. I had to turn up the voltage so it would read games. I wish i had wrote down the website because it worked.

dirtmomma
11-03-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by TheMachine
This may sound crazy, but when mine did that i got on ebay and thought i was buying a booklet on how to fix my ps2, but i was really buying a website to tell me how. I got on the website and it showed my step by step how to take it apart and fix it. I had to turn up the voltage so it would read games. I wish i had wrote down the website because it worked.

sounds like the same thing I got, guess you should of printed it out LOL j/p ;) I priinted mine out maybe I'll look for it later & see if there's anything w/ a website.

400EX_Kid_03
11-03-2004, 08:32 AM
dont take it apart, b/c if you cant end up fixing it, ur completely screwed... b/c sony wont fix it for free anymore...

my advice... sell it, buy xbox and halo 2