PDA

View Full Version : Before buying a used 400 some ?'s

Sturgell
11-01-2004, 07:10 PM
What are some common problems with them, I know most of the engine stuff any noise, smoke, and hard starting is always a sign of something. It is a 99 model with a stage 1 cam, 11:1 Wiseco piston, white brothers E-series with 6 discs, K&N with outerwear, 16/36 gearing, DG nerf bars, a Dynojet jet kit, and I believe it comes with all of the stock parts. Plastic is said to be in very good condition with no scratches. Was bought by an older man set in a garage for 2 years and bought by a man that races, but told me it was never raced that he was in the process of setting it up for racing then bought a yzf450 and abandoned the idea. Any 99 only problems or things to check besides the obvious? I am by no means mechanically illiterate but was wondering about some of the little tips and tricks to tell if it is worth it, and also what would you give for it?

Sturgell
11-01-2004, 08:23 PM
Come on guys I am not one of the wishers that often accompany powersports forums. I really need to know this stuff.

400ex men
11-01-2004, 08:35 PM
i air boot may come off and you need to ask if a HD rod was put in with that 11:1

47501exracer
11-01-2004, 08:37 PM
It's a 99 and with those add on's I wouldn't pay much more than $2,250. Go on Ebay and see what they are going for to give you an idea.

Check for frame cracks.
check the engine oil and it's color. look at the oil cooler 4 damage.
check the axle bearings and hubs for looseness
all brake pads
chain and sprocket wear

Make sure you ride it good and check for engine response, clutch working properly.

Ask if the top end or clutch has been replaced, along with bearings. If not I would do it since it's like 6 years old.

Just my ideas...good luck!

Sturgell
11-01-2004, 08:40 PM
The stock ones around here are going for more that 3000. I mean this thing looks perfect but only seen pictures will be a week or so before i can go look at it in person.

11-01-2004, 10:37 PM
dont pay more then $2350