PDA

View Full Version : Weak 440

ZSK
11-01-2004, 05:29 PM
I've got a 400ex bored to 440, HD rod and headstuds and HMF slip on. The overall feeling feels pretty weak. Jumped on a stock KFX and it felt quicker, same with a piped 400ex. I know they aren't but they just feel quicker, more snap and throttle reponse. My jetting is right, light brown color, no back firing or popping, and the midrange feels right. There's a **** load of torque but the overall performance it just doesn't feel as fast. The clutch feels like it slips once in a while, can I adjust that out?Should I pull the quiet core out of the pipe and adjust accordingly? I have a Stage II hotcam waiting to be installed when I can find time. Will that help quite a bit?

cletusEX
11-01-2004, 05:42 PM
A cam will make a huge difference.

honduh440
11-01-2004, 05:46 PM
you might have a ****ty clutch

a friend of mine tricked out his banshee all at once when he got on it for the first time it was slower then it was before the work. you could feel the motor making insane power but it just wasnt getting to the ground so he put a new clutch in and it flew like a rocket

parkers30
11-01-2004, 06:50 PM
come one clean, fullsystem!!! I dont know they say the 440 just doesnt rev as fast, cam should help though

YFZ450Ridr
11-01-2004, 06:57 PM
you should get a full exhaust system. from what i know i always thought slip ons were a waste.

frosti108
11-01-2004, 07:03 PM
youd know if your clutch was slipping... get on some pavement and get up in the higher gears and nail it to the handle bars, then youll definatly know if your clutch is bad :)

good luck finding whats wrong with your quad. i hope its something simple like your clutch

frogburner
11-01-2004, 07:29 PM
After I built mine,, I took on a piped and jetted DS 650 on the pavement.. He jumped out first, but the 440 had so much power it just ran through the gears like a rapped ape,,, we ran wheel to wheel for a long time until my rev-box revved out.. Longer Duration cam w/ higher compression piston, makes a fast rapper..

ZSK
11-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by parkers30
come one clean, fullsystem!!! I dont know they say the 440 just doesnt rev as fast, cam should help though

$$$ dude, college is clearing me out:( I'd like to find a header to go with the HMF but no luck. I'm thinking about a custom dual HMF set up but I'm not sure about that.

Any other ideas?

speedy400
11-01-2004, 09:25 PM
I think if you would shuve that cam in there, while its apart give her a little mild porting, and put a powerbomb header in there, and then give it a filter, it'd RIP, also if you put a carb such as a 39mm fcr, that would help tons... good luck-darren

mojoe2878
11-01-2004, 09:32 PM
put that stage 2 hot cam in there and i think you will be suprised at how much it will wake up the engine. when you get the extra cash find you a header to put on there too and that will help out a lot. you may have to get stiffer clutch springs if the clutch is slippin and not gettin the power to the ground.

speedy400
11-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by cleanshave300ex
$$$ dude, college is clearing me out:( I'd like to find a header to go with the HMF but no luck. I'm thinking about a custom dual HMF set up but I'm not sure about that.

Any other ideas?
I've got a powerbomb header along with my hmf slip on, works awesome with my built 416. deft recommend the header though, I luckily found mine here on exriders used for 60 bucks:) .-darren

ZSK
11-01-2004, 10:56 PM
I've been looking here, and on ebay, they all seem to go for over $100.:grr: It has a K&N filter, with open lid. Carb is just too much right now, but that might come in the future. The tusk clutch kit from Rockymountain sounds like what I need, only $40 for a heavier duty clutch, I hope Santa will bring me one. Do you think dual HMF's would flow any better than what I have?

rneal
11-02-2004, 06:50 AM
Try a fmf power bomb before switching to a dual exhaust system, I think you'll be happy with the results.

TRXRacer1
11-02-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by 250EXridr
you should get a full exhaust system. from what i know i always thought slip ons were a waste.

No offence but your horribly wrong.