PDA

View Full Version : Installing memory in a laptop

chucked
10-31-2004, 09:43 PM
I have a new hp pavilion laptop, I want to install more memory, is it something I can do myself? Im pretty mechanically enclined and Ive done many things to desktops (install memory, hard drives, disk drives etc...)

khj
10-31-2004, 09:47 PM
an HP can be a little picky about which memory it accepts but should not be a problem as long as you buy the right one and follow the instructions

TRXRacer1
11-01-2004, 09:10 AM
simple, go to crucial technology online an search what kind of memory you modle takes and use that info to get what you want. It's a simple job if you do your research.

chucked
11-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
simple, go to crucial technology online an search what kind of memory you modle takes and use that info to get what you want. It's a simple job if you do your research.
yea I went there, I just dont know how to actually put it in the computer

TRXRacer1
11-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Cool. If your replacing, when you get it apart(power off of course) remove the old and place in the new. I promise it will be easier then you think. Once it's in and back together turn the computer on and it will detect and do the rest for you. Memory is the easiest upgrade of them all. All you have to do is plug in the parts, no bios changes or anthything. Good luck.

Edit: once you know the type from crucial go to www.newegg.com and match it up there for a better deal and a wider choice of parts. They have reviews and everything and the service is great.

atvrider12764
11-01-2004, 10:29 AM
just add an external one that plugs into the laptop so you have the existing memory + the external

TRXRacer1
11-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by atvrider12764
just add an external one that plugs into the laptop so you have the existing memory + the external

I'd love to see a link.^^^

dirtmomma
11-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
I'd love to see a link.^^^

ME TOO!! Do they make this for ALL laptops? I have a Dell Inspiron 7500 that I've been wanting to put more memory in.

Please let us know :)

atvrider12764
11-01-2004, 12:00 PM
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Western-Digital-External-Media-Center-Hard-Drive--WDXF1600JBRNN-/sem/rpsm/oid/86916/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

thats just a sample....wester digital is one of the best companys out there....all it is is another hard drive which in essence is your memory. just go to circuitcity,bestbuy etc and type in external hard drive and it will pop up

dirtmomma
11-01-2004, 12:08 PM
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Western-Digital-External-Media-Center-Hard-Drive--WDXF1600JBRNN-/sem/rpsm/oid/86916/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

thats just a sample....wester digital is one of the best companys out there....all it is is another hard drive which in essence is your memory. just go to circuitcity,bestbuy etc and type in external hard drive and it will pop up

:cool: thnks :)

TRXRacer1
11-01-2004, 12:25 PM

That's what I thought you were getting at. That has nothing to do with the memory he needs. A storage device won't help what he want's. He want's a memory chip not a card, they are completely different and serve different purposes. Chucked, stick to what you were doing, your on the right path.