PDA

View Full Version : My project for this winter...

Bush0102
10-31-2004, 09:37 PM
Ok, well the 400 is getting a little worn out, and being a 2000 model, i figured its time for a little rebuild...

What I plan on doing:

-Replacing clutch plates, lubing cable

-Replacing chain and sprockets

-Replacing spark plug wires, new plug

-My battery literally busted into pieces on my last trip to the track, so i've been roll starting it ever since then. Some of the battery cables came loose with the battery, so i plan on replacing the battery mount, wiring, and the battery itself. I also plan to strengthen the battery mount.

-Replacing top end gaskets, installing my new cam (brand new stage 2 hotcam, bought it for 50 bucks from a friend), adjusting valves if needed

-Disassembling the whole front and rear suspension, replacing bushings, adjusting shocks to my weight and liking (the previous owner was pretty heavy)

-cleaning my carbuerator and finally installing my new mainjet

-cleaning my entire exhaust system with pipe cleaner, cleaning my intake system, and installing filter lid or outerwear (i dont run a lid, but i like trails so i want to be safe)

-Cleaning my entire brake system, replacing pads and fluid, cleaning hubs, inspecting cables

-Removing my plasic, polishing, cleaning headlights and replacing bulbs, and coating with armor-all.

Since i'm going to have the thing torn way down, i may just go ahead and take the motor out of the frame and paint the frame, a-arms, and swingarm black. If it looks good, i might do it to my nerf bars too. What do you think of this???

I'm pretty sure i can get all of this done for under 200 bucks, because a friend and I are doing all of the work ourselves (I helped him rebuild his old sportsman400- the piston literally exploded!)

Does anyone else think of anything else to do while i have the quad taken apart? I'll post some pics when i start the project in about 3 weeks.

10-31-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102
Replacing top end gaskets, installing my new cam (brand new stage 2 hotcam, bought it for 50 bucks from a friend), adjusting valves if needed

um i think you need to have a high compression piston to run a stage 2 hotcam. but it sounds pretty cool otherwise

khj
10-31-2004, 09:44 PM
if you are going that far you might as well pull the piston for inspection and new rings

Bush0102
10-31-2004, 09:46 PM
whoops forgot to add that i ordered a wiseco piston last week...that is planned in the rebuild as well...

Toadz400
11-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Sounds pretty good, if I still have my 400 by this winter I will PROBABLY be doing a complete rebuild, but I don't think I want to spend any money on it since I want to race (don't want to spend thousands of dollars to get my 400 competitive with the 450's).

As for whoever said you NEED a high compression piston for the Stage II cam, you're wrong...it's just that it would have a bigger increase in power if you were to run a high comp piston.

11-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
As for whoever said you NEED a high compression piston for the Stage II cam, you're wrong...it's just that it would have a bigger increase in power if you were to run a high comp piston.

my bad i thought i heard you couldnt run a stock piston with a stage 2. proved me worng tho.

Toadz400
11-02-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by sEX
my bad i thought i heard you couldnt run a stock piston with a stage 2. proved me worng tho.

Yea it's okay, wasn't trying to be an *** or anything. You shouldn't always go by what you hear.