PDA

View Full Version : 440 Finally Done..

frogburner
10-30-2004, 06:55 PM
I finally completed my 440 project.. BUT.. There is a loud clicking noise in the motor, I Have the HOTCAMS Stage 2, oversized intake valves, and black diamond springs with retainers... Is it in the cam you think or possibly with the valve adjustment... I do know, but the motor runs very strong, torqie in the low end, then really raps quick coming up through the RPM's.. good motor..

BlueZ440
10-30-2004, 09:59 PM
I don't have a Honda but I have the same ticking noise from my engine..A lot of people told me is the hotcams that make the ticking noise. 440 wiseco on my Z...I had it over a year now and had no problem

cals400ex
10-31-2004, 12:14 AM
the valves need to be set at .005 intake and .006 exhaust with a hotcam. also, i assume your valves aren't hitting the piston??

frogburner
10-31-2004, 07:09 AM
no,, I turned it over with no spark a couple of times, and it sounded good,, so i wouldnt think its tappin the piston..i guess its in my cam in there knockin around..

sloppyjoe
10-31-2004, 08:44 AM
whats up frogburner? that was really cool to see that thing going yesterday!! :D

Dupontster
10-31-2004, 08:47 AM
We had the same problem when we finished the 416.....Tapping Tapping Tapping.....We re-adjusted the valves and still had the tapping....We then took out the timing chain tensioner and the spring was broken....Put a new one in and it stopped tapping.....It broke another spring later and started tapping again so we replaced the tensioner with an aftermarket one and have not had a problem since....It has a bolt with a jam nut and it stays tight and works fine.....Hope ya get it straightened out....Something like that will drive you crazy....

frogburner
10-31-2004, 06:42 PM
Does it hurt the motor tapping like that?? Cause it tapped when it was a 406 with the stage two and stock springs... but not as loud though..

Dupontster
10-31-2004, 06:46 PM
It didn't hurt ours but i still don't like the sound of it and i am pretty sure it could do some damage later if something is wrong in there.....

frogburner
10-31-2004, 06:50 PM
Man,, I have replaced like everything,, just my luck it would be something you wouldnt even think of.. Bummer.. well I guess I will try that later on,, but for now I am going to listen to the tappin....

Dupontster
11-01-2004, 03:02 AM
It's only 2 bolts holding it on the side of the block....Take it off and look at it and see it the plunger is all the way in....If it is it is broken....If it is mostly the way out it is probably OK..Very simple to check and only takes a few....

airheadedduner
11-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Your autodecomp might be broke. My bike backfired on startup once and jammed the decomp on all the time. It ticked really loud afterwards till I removed it.

Dupontster
11-01-2004, 01:18 PM
The stage 2 hotcam doesn't have the auto decomp.

frogburner
11-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Well I found my ticking problem... The intake valves were off, I adjusted the intake and exhaust,, now there is no ticking and I can get the wheels to raise in 4th gear without using the clutch,, I literally mean,, going from 3rd to 4th without the clutch, then hammering it again with out trying to raise them, and they will come up a little,, I'm happy with my motor..

440ex2001
11-03-2004, 12:05 AM
Im glad to hear you figured it out:) I have been trying to get my 440 going for 2 months. I started out with a wiseco kit but the machine shop ruine my jug and sleeve. I ordered a ross kit and I'm going to tear it down this week end and get it to a GOOD shop next week. Pulling the wheels off the ground in 4th?? Man I cant wait:devil:

hondarider2006
11-03-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by 440ex2001
Im glad to hear you figured it out:) I have been trying to get my 440 going for 2 months. I started out with a wiseco kit but the machine shop ruine my jug and sleeve. I ordered a ross kit and I'm going to tear it down this week end and get it to a GOOD shop next week. Pulling the wheels off the ground in 4th?? Man I cant wait:devil:

my 416 pulled the wheels off in 5th man, I bet a 440 can do it no problem;)