PDA

View Full Version : Vortec cdi and hotcams stage II?

450R_lover
10-30-2004, 10:59 AM
I was just wondering, I've got a HMF Bill Ballance Carbon fiber full system, jetted, and airbox lid off, Would a hotcams stage II and a Vortec ignition give me a big boost in power??? The reason im asking is because i rode my friends YFZ, which has got a White bros. Aluminum Race series pipe, jetted, lid off, k&N and a 1000 more RPM rev box and his hits super hard. I wondered if the Vortec would be worth my money??? and would mine hit harder than his with just the cam or should i get the vortec too??
thanks guys, for all your input

450R_lover
10-30-2004, 03:39 PM
BUMP

kazpr
10-30-2004, 04:00 PM
Get the stage 2 cam and a 13:1 piston and that mother will RIP!!!

450R_lover
10-30-2004, 04:46 PM
I would but i dont really wanna have to run race gas with the high compression piston.... 93 is expensive enough these days.

86atc250r
10-30-2004, 07:20 PM
With the amount of gas a quad burns, does the cost really matter?

I mean, if you ride the crap out of the quad and burn 50 gallons of 110 octane race gas a year @ $4/gal, you've spend $100 more in a year's time over $2.00/gal cat pi$$ fuel.

What's a $100? How much did you spend on that BB pipe again?

Hawk III
10-30-2004, 08:41 PM
i couldn't agree more

DirtDevilBT
10-30-2004, 10:33 PM
hahahahahahahaha
I too would like to know if a white bros rev box would be a good investment. I know a guy with a big gun box, piece of junk threw it away, picked up a WB and his 416ex is a whole different machine.

sparky450AR
10-31-2004, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by 450R_lover
I would but i dont really wanna have to run race gas with the high compression piston.... 93 is expensive enough these days.

You could atleast take it up to a 12:1....you could still run premium.

Jersey450R
10-31-2004, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
hahahahahahahaha
I too would like to know if a white bros rev box would be a good investment. I know a guy with a big gun box, piece of junk threw it away, picked up a WB and his 416ex is a whole different machine.

my buddy put a white brothers rev box on his 400 and that thoing was like like night and day. and its cheap too, only like 120 bucks i think!

kssandduner
10-31-2004, 09:04 AM
@ $4/gal
The last time I checked on price of race gas, it was like $7/gal!! What brand and what octane are you getting for 4$/gal?? Is that buying it in thirty gallon drums? I'm debating on installing a high comp piston over the winter, but if I could find race gas for 4$/gal, I would do it in a heartbeat!

Joe

brif
10-31-2004, 10:05 AM
Around here $3.69/gal. I can't remember the brand right now. Leaded 110 octane. I also have turbo blue available (115 octane and leaded) for $5/ gal.

86atc250r
10-31-2004, 10:50 AM
The last time I checked on price of race gas, it was like $7/gal!! What brand and what octane are you getting for 4$/gal?? Is that buying it in thirty gallon drums? I'm debating on installing a high comp piston over the winter, but if I could find race gas for 4$/gal, I would do it in a heartbeat!

Woah! You're definitely looking in the wrong places.

Sunoco (Cam2) is typically around $3.75 to $4.00/gal. You can usually also find Turbo Blue, and a number of others in that price range.

If you're looking at a highly specialized fuel like VP, it can be much higher, but that's unnecessary in my opinion - especially for the casual rider/racer who is just needing more octane for a high compression ride...

450R_lover
10-31-2004, 12:46 PM
its just $100 more... but thats $100 more a year that i could use for other things.. but does anyone have any good information on the vortec cdi or does anyone have it that can give a good review of it? or the stage II hotcam? thank you all for your opinions

lukester720
11-01-2004, 02:15 AM
Yes, a vortex cdi and a hot cam will run good on your quad. Why is it people talk about getting high compression pistons and all this high performance stuff but draw the line on fuel? I mean big deal if you pay 3 something a gallon for fuel, how much have you spent on your other mods? Its kinda like saying I want to build a top fuel dragster but I want to run 87 octane??? :D

I appogize, but if you not going with a 13:1 piston (standard bore) or higher than you should just keep the stock one and save your money. The big wild 13.8:1 is good for just a little over 2 hp across the rpm range, so just how much do you think your gonna gain out of a 11.5:1 or 12.5:1 on pump gas? probably not enough to justify the cost of the piston IMO.:confused: :eek:

If you want it to "hit" harder get a lightened flywheel and a FCR carb.:)

RedRacer44
11-01-2004, 11:48 AM
I agree with Lukester! If you aren't going to get the 13:1 or higher piston for the TRX, keep it stock and just throw in a good cam. I had the JE 11.5:1 piston and it was worthless! I installed a StageII HotCam at the same time as the piston and all the power gains were from the cam. It hit harder in the midrange but it was, sad to say, almost gutless on the bottom end. I think the 11.5:1 hurt me more than it helped me in performance.

I chunked it in the trash and now have the JE 13:1 piston, and its been the best mod I've done to my quad except for my a-arms, shocks, and GT Thunder rear link/shock mod. It absolutely RIPS from the bottom end and pulls hard all the way through the RPMs. Compliments the cam very nicely.....

450R_lover
11-03-2004, 03:30 PM
Does anyone have the Vortex Cdi?... if so, do you feel that it was worth the extra money to get it over a normal 1,000 rpm rev box?
Also, What are the different settings.... are the curves that much different?..... thanks

lukester720
11-04-2004, 01:44 AM
The vortex is worth the money in my opinion, it is nice being able to hold the same gear longer coming through a corner. The settings are mostly all different too! If you are not willing to spend the money one of the more expensive boxes like mine or a dynatek than just keep the stock box. The cheaper boxes for the 450r have not proven themselves to be any good yet, I know because i've tested them. One box wanted to backfire and wouldn't start my quad without being pullstarted and the other box was missing out bad in the mid to 3/4 throttle range. Once they get a couple more months of development on them they might be worth buying, but for now I don't think they are worth it.:ermm:

4LEAFCLOVER
11-04-2004, 08:08 AM
Hey there Lukester720, how much does that Vortex CDI cost? Does it allow the bike to go faster in fifth gear without bouncing off the rev limiter like the stock one does? If so how much faster? I really want one but I don't know the prices on them. Thanks for any input.

2005 TRX 450R (Black Stunna)
HRC Kit, Black Blingstar Bumper, Hoosier Racing Flat trak Tires

lukester720
11-04-2004, 11:39 AM
Retail on the CDI is 400 dollars, but talk to C+D racing they will give you a much better deal. 86atc250r has a gearing calculator and when I typed in the new rev limit it had raised the top speed by almost 10 mph! You shouldn't be hitting the rev limiter with this ignition, I think most if not all the cams made stop making power before hitting the rev limiter.

450R_lover
11-04-2004, 04:29 PM
Lukester720.... Do they have names for the different curves which are better suited to be run in those places? Example ... is one named dunes or something to tell you taht its the best curve to run in the dunes because it gives you more top end power? Or do some make the power all come on at once.... and some spread it out evenly?.... thanks for all your info... i appreciate it alot

450R_lover
11-07-2004, 09:19 AM
BUMP

86atc250r
11-07-2004, 09:37 AM
Don't worry about the different curves - there is only minor differeces - it's mostly a gimmick.

Yes, I have one.

If I remember correctly, yes, they give you a brieff, vague description of each pre-programmed curve - but you're not going to find any magical "Dunes" curve, or "MX" curve, or "Beat the cocky little neighbor kid in a drag" curve.....

The thing with ignition curves is this --- a properly tuned ignition curve is going to maximize the engine's power everywhere.

There is not one curve that is going to make killer bottom end and sacrifice top end or vice versa - modern, electronic timing isn't a compromise like that.

So - if they did their job in the R&D dept and curve 1 maximizes the power that the engine configuration can develop, then the rest of the curves are going to be taking power away somewhere - either to trying to knock down a power spike (mmm, less peak power), kill off some torque to help with traction, etc...

I don't know about you, but I don't want my CDI box taking away any power I spent a lot of $$$ to make.... My thumb is pretty good at regulating that and if my thumb is holding the throttle all the way open, I want everything the engine's got....

450R_lover
11-07-2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks alot 86atc250r! thats exactly what i was wanting to know. I know that everyone has told you that your a smart man, but YOU ARE A SMART MAN! haha.... where'd you go to college???? ;)

simoniz
11-07-2004, 08:30 PM
Not to derail the topic but has anyone done the CRF ignition??? I know thats what Joe Bird had on his 04" honda's. Thinking about going with that instead of the Vortec. For a MX set up.

PaperChazerz
11-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Would a CDI box be good for drag racing??? and i dont care if i need a higher octane level of fuel, so what size psiton would be good for 110 octane?? I think the stock piston is a 10.5:1 Who makes better pistons for 4 strokes???
SEMA

RedRacer44
11-08-2004, 11:38 AM
Our local quad shop owner and GNC MXer Johnny Hale ran the CRF ignition setup from Sparks in both of his TRXs and says nothing but good things about it. Really brings the quad to life as far as letting the motor rev and excellent throttle response in combo w/ the FCR carb. I dont know if its worth the $$$ though.

simoniz
11-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by RedRacer44
Our local quad shop owner and GNC MXer Johnny Hale ran the CRF ignition setup from Sparks in both of his TRXs and says nothing but good things about it. Really brings the quad to life as far as letting the motor rev and excellent throttle response in combo w/ the FCR carb. I dont know if its worth the $$$ though.

Yea I have been talking to your bud Johnny. What are you running as far as ignition goes??

kazpr
11-08-2004, 04:30 PM
I think he is on stock ignition still. I ordered a Sparks cam today from JH. Will update you when I get it going.

RedRacer44
11-08-2004, 04:43 PM
I am still running stock ignition as of right now. I dont want to pay the $$$ for the Vortex nor the CRF ignition. Depending on what Advantage does on their rev boxes, I'm leaning towards their rev box and having JH lighten my flywheel for me along w/ the FCR carb too. This is later on down the road though. Not even sure if I'll do it, I dont hit the rev limiter much anyways.

PaperChazerz
11-08-2004, 07:55 PM
???
SEMA