PDA

View Full Version : 400 KFX, Z, or EX, which do I want and why.

300extasy
10-29-2004, 10:48 AM
I am in the market for a 400cc quad. I was looking into a 400ex but then outside the box thinking kicked in and I thought I would see who prefers which 400 and why. I will probably by an '04 or '05 new but I might consider a used '03 or newer to save some money.

redrunner
10-29-2004, 08:49 PM
I just went through the same thing, decided on the Z. I have always rode Honda but could not pass up the newer technology. Only had it a day and no seat time until my ACL heals. It really is a whle different ball game. Anyway look down a few threads with my name and titled "choices" some info there.

kx515
10-31-2004, 12:03 AM
well it all depends on the year. If you get an 05 ex it will have the reverse. I went riding with a guy on friday and he had an ex 1999. I felt really bad for him because we were riding in some tight trails and every other turn he would have to get off of his quad and pull/push it back because he didn't have reverse. we rode for a while around 35mins straight and it never got hot so I guess you would be good there. Remember that it is air cooled and does not have a reverse until this year. I have a z-400 and I love it. Between the two, the horse power is not much difference. I have a slip-on and so did he. I out ran him by maybe three quad lenghts. I am about 80lbs lighter than him too. If you get a used bike the ex will be cheaper and there are more aftermarket parts for it. They are also cheaper. I was in the same position you are in a few months ago. I am really lazy and weak so I decided to get the one with reverse. Btw if you get the ex, you really won't noticed the hp difference when riding in the woods and for that matter it really all depends on the rider. Good luck with your decision.

redrunner
10-31-2004, 10:43 AM
Just so you see!

YFZ450Ridr
10-31-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by redrunner
Just so you see!

how u likeing that thing redrunner? looks damn nice too!

redrunner
10-31-2004, 06:29 PM
Still waitning on the ACL to heal before I can do any real riding but like I said, it is a whole new ball game now!

hemi operator
11-11-2004, 06:38 PM
I'm struggling with the same decision right now, complicated by also not knowing whether I'll buy new or used. I like the fact that the 400ex has reverse now, but it also gained 25 lbs. The LTZ/KFX twins are more technologically advanced and have a better power-to-weight ratio, but seem to be built a little less beefy than the EX and that "technologically advanced" stuff is the stuff that can leave you stranded on the trail someday.

YFZ450Ridr
11-11-2004, 07:06 PM
really id rather have the sazook or kawi because of the new improvements and nobody really seems to report problems with em. although the 400 motor is bullet proof, the old ones dont have reverse(and i trail ride alot and it helps) and i dont really like the styling on the new ones a hole lot and they didnt upgrade the shocks at all whats up with that?! but the new reverse on them is awesome from what people are telling me.