PDA

View Full Version : Just a hey and a quick tech question

RideRed04
10-28-2004, 11:17 PM
Yup, I'm back for my once every few month visit...and a question for my Jeep.

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/reader-rigs/albums/Jeffs-89-YJ/Jump.sized.jpg

Here's the deal: I love the baja claw tires, but they are almost too aggressive. I only have a 4-banger, which is nice for low end torque, rev-ability, and really awsome f/r ballance. It isn't good for instant tire speed. With the directional tires, it likes to dig to the bottom of loose stuff, namely sand. Would running them backwards help them to stay ontop?

LazeR
10-29-2004, 12:32 AM
I'm not sure if running them backwards would help or not but i would think that it would cause excessive wear, or something. If you want to stay on top, try running less air in your tires, from the photo your left front looks pretty pumped up for having all the weight on it like that! Try running like 15lbs of air or something like when your offroading, then when your done go to a gas station and fill em back up! Its just gonna be a lil more wishy washy

RideRed04
10-29-2004, 09:39 PM
Actually, that pic was taken at 15psi. My axle may or may not have been resting on that log, hard to say. I remember something about paddle tires...one way floated and one way dug down. If you had the power to spin them, running them the dig down way would give crazy traction without sinking....

lil400exman
10-29-2004, 10:48 PM
In sand you will sink no matter what quads/dirtbikes/trucks/SUV .........just throw a aussie locker under it and not worry about those problems anymore.....by the way get a landcruiser!;)

RideRed04
10-29-2004, 11:03 PM
Already have dual lockrights, and am going to a spooled dana 44 in the rear and a locked dana 44 in the front over my christmas break..hehe:devil:

I actually wheeled with a land cruiser, and honestly, they are waaaay too big for what we do. Great in the outback, but thats about it. In wisconsin, you need beef, ground clearence, and lockers. D44's it is..:cool:

LazeR
10-30-2004, 02:42 AM
Well i don't really know then :( sorry! alls i know is that with more air in the tire your going to dig, the less air you run your going to float, i know my dad used to 4 wheel in the snow, in bend, oregon, and he used to run like 5-8lbs of air, and would hardly ever sink!

On the land cruiser note, did you drive an FJ40 ? There the same size as a CJ7 basically. My dad used to have one, and he took it on the rubicon, and it was basically stock! He used to take his land cruiser everywhere, those things are like tanks!

For your locked front end, unless its a dedicated trail rig you want to be able to engage and disenage it others wise your gonna have a hell of a time on the pavement

I have a CJ5, with a limited slip in the rear, lifted 2½ inches and that thing would go anywhere! But its currently disabled since i dont really have the money to keep it insured and i lost the tranny in it since i hot rodded it a lil to much ;) and those 3spds are really weak! I do have a 4spd for it though :devil:

mojoe2878
10-30-2004, 09:56 AM
i would run as low of a air pressure as possible, it will help you get better bite and be harder to spin, im talkin like 4psi or something, it will also give you better grip when climbing rocks and logs.only down side is it will tear your tires up when you drive on the road until you can get to a gas station to air them back up, unless you have an onboard air system. what kind of gear ratio are you running? i think if you turn the tires around you will actually end up getting less grab and dig down even worse.
you could also try a more aggressive tire like a bogger and it would help get better traction and grip without digging down so much, i noticed some of the tire tracks in front of you look like bogger tracks. bad thing about boggers is they arent too good on the road.

RideRed04
10-30-2004, 04:08 PM
It is a dedicated trail rig, with some weekend trips down the road. More aggresive tire= more digging. The boggers are even worse then the claws. Those tracks are from a cj-2a with a 4.3L in it. He can get the wheel speed. I'm running a 4.10 gear ratio, which is too high for the engine. I'm going to 4.88's once I swap my axles. I'm gathering parts as we speak.

Lazer, I thought you were refering to the big land cruisers. Otherwise, similarly modded, they will work almost exactly the same as a jeep.