PDA

View Full Version : Tires for in the snow

Tommy 17
09-02-2001, 12:43 PM
I need a new set of tires and i was wonder what everyone uses for the snow bc its goin to start snowin in about 2 months and i need tires bad now i can't wait till then. i used my stock ones last year they worked great but they get holes to easy so do i have any other choices.

4punksdad
09-03-2001, 06:31 AM
years ago I had a set of wooly boogers. They were unstoppable in the mud & snow...............not much good for anything else though.

EX_RIDER
09-03-2001, 08:39 AM
The stock tires seemed to work better then most tires i have tried before.You want a tire with a wide gap between lugs so debre can fly out and not stick in the tread.

09-03-2001, 03:11 PM
Maxxis sure traks work really well in snow. I put a set of 22inchers on my 400ex last year and loved em. There heavy but who cares. I could drag the frame in the powder and it would slowly keep chugging along.

09-03-2001, 05:20 PM
chains work wonders in the snow.
just never ride behind a person with them!

also in Rocky Moutain www.rockymoutain.com (if you dont have a catolog order one) they have like tires with paddles. but they have space between them. like if they was one paddle going across it would be broke in two (-- --) like so. so snow doesnt clogg the tires. i havent tried them yet but i have a freind who tried it last year and said they were a GREAT. i might pick uop a pair for my 300ex for x-mas.

hope i helped.
zack.

:D

400exRacerX
09-03-2001, 10:58 PM
realitors are good for the snow they have a small paddle like a sand tire for good flotation

Tommy 17
09-04-2001, 07:15 PM
I heard the raptor tire is good do what ply is it and how much do they cost does anyone now and guy660r if u can tell me how well they last i would appreciate it.

MOFO
09-05-2001, 05:47 AM
Yep, the best tire for snow/ice would be chains. I ran them last year and I went more places than standard 4x4 quads did. For an acutal tire, I would recommend Dirt Devils. A bunch of my friends ran them last year, went like a SOB in the snow. :)

Eric

knighttime
09-05-2001, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by VWVR6
Yep, the best tire for snow/ice would be chains. I ran them last year and I went more places than standard 4x4 quads did. For an acutal tire, I would recommend Dirt Devils. A bunch of my friends ran them last year, went like a SOB in the snow. :)

Eric

Where did u get the chains?

MOFO
09-05-2001, 02:38 PM
I got them at "rip me off" Zanotti's. They were around $50-60 if I remember right. I'll probably use them again this year if we get a good amount of snow.

Eric

quadfamily
09-05-2001, 07:00 PM
Is everyone forgetting those cool track conversion kits that transform your quad into a snowmobile (sort of) ? I would bet it would be better than any tire with or without chains.

crday98
09-05-2001, 10:51 PM
maxxis all-traks work really well in the snow.

trx400ex
09-06-2001, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by quadfamily
Is everyone forgetting those cool track conversion kits that transform your quad into a snowmobile (sort of) ? I would bet it would be better than any tire with or without chains. [/QUOTE

$2500

BrianEX
09-06-2001, 05:35 PM
I have tried just about all different kinds of tires in the snow over the years and have found that a good set of angled paddle tires work the best. Snow is a loose surface, that robs power just like sand. Try some Sand Sharks or a tire like that. In snow you can't beat them. (Except for the track kits.)