PDA

View Full Version : clutch out of adjustment ?

jeepnrocks
10-28-2004, 06:17 PM
Ok I noticed this for the second time the other day. i needed to move my quad. the quad was off and not in neutral. I just pulled the clutch to push it and it wouldnt budge. it actually tried to turn the motor over. I have even noticed that it wants to lunge a bit when i kick it at times. Took it for a ride pulled in and the motor revved as it should with the clutch engaged. i havent adjusted anything yet so is my clutch justa bit out of adjustment ?

Xowner
10-28-2004, 07:29 PM
mine slams into frist gear hard and has same problem as you i guess gotta adjust it now

TRX450rRoostin
10-28-2004, 11:21 PM
yup......i have the same problem......i was on a down slope and i turned it off....bc i thought i heard cops coming and i had clutch in with it in first gear....and it stayed up.....then i was moving in my garage also and i just put the clutch in and it i was in gear and it wouldnt budge.......what could this be?

BSTURDIVANT
10-29-2004, 07:05 AM
This clutch has 8 plates and when the oil is cold the clutches drag,causing it to act like it's not disengaging. It's even worse with Honda's heavy weight oil! We went to 5-30 oil and it helped alot. other oils offer better protection, but the oil has to be warm for the clutch to act properly. The thinner oil actually penetrates the clutch pack better! 400 EX's have pressure fed clutches and don't have the problem! Honda's ads that say they have a transmission side and engine side oil system is misleading.

It has a engine and transmission side and a clutch/ kickstart side.
The clutch side is splash only, causing the clutch to centrifugally force the oil out. The only time oil can get between clutch and frictions is when the clutch is pulled in. We tape the clutch handle in after a fresh oil change and let it set for a while. Pulling the clutch in while in gear with the engine off seems to help also.

Jersey450R
10-29-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by BSTURDIVANT
This clutch has 8 plates and when the oil is cold the clutches drag,causing it to act like it's not disengaging. It's even worse with Honda's heavy weight oil! We went to 5-30 oil and it helped alot. other oils offer better protection, but the oil has to be warm for the clutch to act properly. The thinner oil actually penetrates the clutch pack better! 400 EX's have pressure fed clutches and don't have the problem! Honda's ads that say they have a transmission side and engine side oil system is misleading.

It has a engine and transmission side and a clutch/ kickstart side.
The clutch side is splash only, causing the clutch to centrifugally force the oil out. The only time oil can get between clutch and frictions is when the clutch is pulled in. We tape the clutch handle in after a fresh oil change and let it set for a while. Pulling the clutch in while in gear with the engine off seems to help also.

thats very interesting

jeepnrocks
10-29-2004, 07:49 AM
thanks bsturd !! i was starting to get worried

spincr4hire
10-29-2004, 09:42 AM
good info, I was wondering about that myself.