PDA

View Full Version : Main Jet Holder

Spikers400
10-28-2004, 01:59 PM
Does the possition of the holder have any effect on jetting? Because i took it out to clean it and put it back to about the same possition, but not exact. What is the stock possition? Thanks

cals400ex
10-28-2004, 03:19 PM
that makes a big difference on power. this piece that the mainjet screws into is called the needle jet holder. you will see a nut on this piece. you need to screw the needle jet holder into the carb and tighten the nut so you can still see 2-3 threads left on the needle jet holder. making sense??

Spikers400
10-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Wow good thing i asked. Is there any way i can use this to tune? Like if i screw it in or out, what effect does it have? THanks for the help.

cals400ex
10-29-2004, 11:57 AM
i can't explain the finite details. however, i know this from expeience. when screwed all the way in, mine was as slow as having the throttle cable all the way loose. it may be hard to explain. when screwing that in all the way, your actually raising your mainjet higher in the carb. i guess it is starving the bike from fuel maybe. i don't know. i found no gain by lowering it to the 3rd to 4th threads when it was tightened down. the stock bikes i see have it around 2 threads showing. i usually go between 2-3 to be on the safe side. i don't think this is a way of tuning. that is what the different jets are for.

zephead400ex
10-29-2004, 12:13 PM
I agree with Cal. Adjusting the holder itself is not a good practice of rejetting, IMO. 2-3 threads out, make sure you get it tight enough, the main jet has a tendancy to rattle out...trust me!:D

cals400ex
10-30-2004, 01:31 AM
also, i would tighten the needle jet holder tighter than the mainjet. otherwise, when you go to remove the mainjet the whole thing comes out instead of just the mainjet.