PDA

View Full Version : Gecko's and the dunes

Deathbringer
04-15-2002, 01:01 AM
Just curious if anyone has had personal experience with the new style paddles... and if so..compare it to what you had before.. thanks.

chad400ex
04-15-2002, 07:25 AM
I've got 'em and they do a really good job. They climb the hills like a straight paddle, but are easy enough to break loose if you want to powerslide around a corner. Right now, I'm experimenting with air pressure in them. Going to Sand Lake on Friday for another ride on them.

2qk4u
04-15-2002, 12:03 PM
I really like mine. they hook up great

Deathbringer
04-15-2002, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the info..PLEASE let me know how it goes when you get back from your ride.. I am thinking about getting them because I am a sandman (insert Metallica song)..so if they really are a better tire then I am all up in that...

BigDon
04-16-2002, 09:24 AM
Do you think the Gecko tires would do well with a 300ex? With less power than the 400 I'm wondering if it's to much tire for my stock 300. Then again, like I need an excuss to start adding a little power by changing out the air filter / pipes / jets / etc...

What's your thoughts on these tires with a little less power?

R-Crazy
04-16-2002, 06:37 PM
i heard they will work on a stock blaster and the 300 has more power than a 300.

dave

BigDon
04-17-2002, 08:07 AM
Thanks for letting me know they work on a Blaster (My son has a 2001 Blaster so at least I'm familiar with its power.)

I'm off you buy a set of Gecko K534's along with 160 gauge Douglas rims for riding this weekend! I'll let you all know how they work.

See you all at South Jetty on Saturday.

BigDon
04-17-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Deathbringer
Thanks for the info..PLEASE let me know how it goes when you get back from your ride.. I am thinking about getting them because I am a sandman (insert Metallica song)..so if they really are a better tire then I am all up in that...

Asssuming I can get a pair of Gecko's this week and have them for Saturday IF you are riding at South Jetty, you're welcome to put them on and give them a try... Let me know and we can hook up somehow!

Deathbringer
04-17-2002, 12:47 PM
I will be at Winchester on the 27 and 28th of this month..also riding spinreal, boxcar and those areas..but yeah I would love to give them a shot..

BigDon
04-17-2002, 04:06 PM
Sorry Deathbringer, I only have time for South Jetty this weekend, then I'm out of state for the following weekend while you're riding Winchester.

I've decided to buy the Sand Skate II 20" tires with the red label Douglas. Just seems to be what I "think" will work best for my stock 300ex.

Maybe we can meet up some other time.

Deathbringer
04-17-2002, 04:36 PM
Cool..good enough.. please let me know what you think of them anyway on this thread..

QuadJunkies
04-18-2002, 10:06 AM
Hey... Would someone let me know where they can find the tires? all the dealers aroung here say the manufactor cant keep up the supply an demand.I am yet to find anyone that had any.Im taking a trip to the dunes in june and need them for my 300ex. If any of you here of anyone... please let me know:D

BigDon
04-18-2002, 11:29 AM
I originally wanted a pair for my 300ex as well, but after not being able to fine them in stock and with no promise of a delivery date I got to thinking of what might happen if while riding a ripped one out. How would I get another quickly so I could continue riding.

I decided (and just picked up 1/2 hour ago) the Sand Skate II's on red label Douglas rims. These are a very common tire where I ride, so if I really had to I could leave the dunes, drive into town buy a new tire and be back riding within an hour. (Of course assuming it wasn't after the normal 5pm close time :) :) )

TrxTex
04-23-2002, 09:49 PM
I just ordered some from Recreation Tires (www.recreationtires.com). They have the 21x11x10 in stock.....but you better act quick. Not a bad price either.

Check it out.....

Chef
04-23-2002, 10:00 PM
Do you think they would work better than 9 or 10 paddle haulers on my banshee for the sand? I like how they look, just wondering if you guys think it might get "too much" wheel spin?

QuadJunkies
04-23-2002, 10:22 PM
Well. I talked to a few people(rocky mountain and Chaparral) and they both think that the Skat Trak II edge would be the best for my type of riding, Ill let you all know how I like them!!

Deathbringer
04-24-2002, 04:42 PM
Back on Topic...:mad: I want to know about the Gecko's...so when someone gets back from the dunes trying them out please let me know on this thread..thanks

2qk4u
04-24-2002, 09:05 PM
Been there three or more times with mine and they do awesome every time. hook up great. good on the short hill climbs too for where you dont get that much speed to climb the hill. i run around 3.5 lbs of air. any ? just let me know.

offroader66
04-29-2002, 03:12 PM
I do not like my Geckos at all.If you just like to cruise the trails and enjoy roosting up big dunes they are ok.If you like to ride trails hard and fast they will not do.They have no predictability when cornering.Sometimes they will hold,sometimes will slide like I wanted,and every now and then they would just wash out with no warning.I have since bought a set of sand skate 2's and they are a much better tire.My geckos are for sale mounted on a set of 10in aluminum rims painted black.Email if interested.($175.00 plus freight)

generalg
04-29-2002, 08:46 PM
I PM'd you about your Gecko tires for sale. I'm interested in just the tires. I'm planning on going to Little Sahara this weekend. Lets work a deal ASAP!

TrxTex
05-10-2002, 05:43 PM
Mine work great.....no bull.:p

skull
05-11-2002, 12:40 AM
BigDon,
are you still running the stock gearing on your 300ex? if so you may want to think about going up a tooth on the front sprocket, or dropping a couple teeth on the rear.
I found using 20" paddles in the dunes with stock gearing robbed my top end blind. the 300ex needs all the top end it can get. throw a 14 tooth front sprocket on there and you'll be back in business.

Chef
05-11-2002, 10:37 AM
Totally off the gecko subject, but here are some pretty bad pics of my shee with Haulers..

JustRace
05-11-2002, 12:13 PM
Looks good alky

BigDon
05-12-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by skull
BigDon,
are you still running the stock gearing on your 300ex? if so you may want to think about going up a tooth on the front sprocket, or dropping a couple teeth on the rear.
I found using 20" paddles in the dunes with stock gearing robbed my top end blind. the 300ex needs all the top end it can get. throw a 14 tooth front sprocket on there and you'll be back in business.

OK, stupid question, but how many teeth does my stock sprocket have?

My 300ex is completely stock at this point. I'm still trying to decide exactly what I want to do an when...

So with everything else stock, does is still make since (I ride 100%at the dunes) to change out my sprocket?

BigDon

skull
05-13-2002, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by BigDon

OK, stupid question, but how many teeth does my stock sprocket have?

My 300ex is completely stock at this point. I'm still trying to decide exactly what I want to do an when...

So with everything else stock, does is still make since (I ride 100%at the dunes) to change out my sprocket?

BigDon OK, think about this. the 300ex comes stock with 22" rear tires, now you changed them over to 20". I forgot how to do the math, but basicly you just dropped somewhere around 5-8 mph off the top speed.
stock the 300ex (if I remember right) has a 13 tooth front sprocket and a 35(?) tooth rear. if you go to a 14 tooth front, with 20" rear tires you should be back (close) to stock gearing. the only thing is, with the larger front sprocket, your case saver will not fit right. I took a dremel to mine and ground off about .050" and if fit nicely. if you don't want to deal with that, you can drop 2 or 3 teeth off the rear sprocket and be close to stock gearing.
double check your stock gearing (you can count the teeth yourself, or look it up) then decide if you want to make the swap. in my opinion it's totally worth it. it's also cheap, and real easy to do.
so, to me, it makes total sense to get back to stock gearing. I think I paid $7 dollars for my front sprocket. it took about 20 min to swap it out, and most of that time was spent grinding down the case saver. some people go without the case saver, but I'd rather not.

BigDon
05-13-2002, 07:58 AM
What you say makes perfect sense. I think I like the idea of a larger front sprocket than changing out the back sprocket. I could then easily switch it back to the stock sprocket if I wanted to ride in the dirt with my stock tires. Thanks for the advice!

BigDon

Red Rooster
05-16-2002, 12:36 PM
The stock rear sprocket is a 38 tooth......

I want some Sand Skate II's so bad... but I need motor work first!

mopar 400
05-19-2002, 03:00 PM
I have ridden both the Geckos and the SandSkate II's and feel that they are a very similar ride while goin straight. Where the Skate outperform the geckos is in turning. The Skates hold in the corners real well, and the geckos can sometimes feel a little "loose". The skates also kick a lot more roost than the geckos. Either way they are both good tires nad I would ride either of them.

kid300ex
05-20-2002, 05:20 PM
I think I'm gonna go with the Gecko's for the 300 on .160's, I was thinking about the sand skates but they are too much.

skull
05-22-2002, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by Red Rooster300
The stock rear sprocket is a 38 tooth......
thanks Rooster :)

(off topic)
I will be at Silver Lake Sand Dunes on June 1st and 2nd. if your going lets meet up.

Rider#11
06-03-2002, 10:03 PM
go to rockymountain.com