PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Problem? Please Help?

r6xual
10-27-2004, 09:28 PM
Im not sure exactly what is going on with my clutch, so i figured that i would ask you guys so here goes.

For some reason my 400 EX has a hard time shifting into neutral. When the quad is cold, it will shift in just fine, but after riding for a while and the quad warms up, it will no longer slip into Neutral. Sometimes after warmed up, while at a stand still, i cant even get it to shift "out" of first gear. It is also hard to get it out of gear while on a hill.

Any suggestions/comments.??

Thanks

the Z Man
10-28-2004, 12:20 AM
I had the same problem, ,, try a new clutch cable, also the pivot arm that goes into the side case may have some wear on it, you can tell when you pull the side cover off (clutch side) and look at the part of the arm that pulls on the rod, it probably has wear on the bevel side. It might not hurt to through in some new fibers while your in there.
Of course I found that it is pretty easy once you kill the motor, and since its electric start you can just start it back up again, besides you don't look like a fool sitting there going back and forht from 1st. to 2nd.

Z

Rico
10-28-2004, 06:12 AM
What year is your 40ex?????

r6xual
10-28-2004, 09:15 AM
It is an 01

Rico
10-28-2004, 11:46 AM
I'd say it's time to do a complet freshening up of the clutch then.

New plates and cable most definitly. Also check the basket while you have it apart and the lifter pin.

r6xual
10-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Sorry i am kinda new in the whole quad scene. Could you explain to me the "basket" and lifter pin?? Any writeups or howtos on this??