PDA

View Full Version : !! Need Help Fast...400ex !!

YFZWHEELIER
10-27-2004, 04:19 PM
i am puittin my head back on and need to know what these parts are for...there is a tiny rod and a spring that came from somewhere when i took the head off, i also need to know how to time it right, can some one give me detailed instructions on how to put it all back on....thanks!

Bill Fuller
10-27-2004, 05:07 PM
The little pin and spring go under the cam.It is there to activate the decompressor,if you are running a cam without the decompressor than you do not need it.As for setting the timing make sure the marks on the cam gear are level with the head and check to make sure that your timing chain tensioner is working properly.As far as the pistion goes set the fly wheel to "T" and the motor will be at top dead center.Or you can remove the spark plug and stick a screwdriver in to verify the piston is in the correct stroke.Make sure when tightening down the head to do so with the cam lobes down or you will strip out the threads on the bolts.(learned this the hard/expensive way:mad: )After you get it running readjust the valves.Ride it a little then check all the bolts on the top that you loosened.DO NOT USE LOCTITE ON THE HEAD BOLTS.

mojoe2878
10-27-2004, 05:23 PM
also when you line up the cam sprocket lines with the head make sure the one line in the middle thats by the sprocket bolt is facing up.
there is a small hole in the head for the plunger and spring, it will be under where the decompressor sits, the spring goes in first then the plunger.
after you get the flywheel lined up on the T mark and get the cam sprocket in the chain and lined up put the cam in, it will only go in 2 ways, one way is the lobes facing up, the other is the lobes facing down, you want to put it in with the lobes facing down.
torque the head nuts to 33 ft. pounds but do it in small increments in a criss cross pattern until you get to the 33.