PDA

View Full Version : OMG! what a mess need HELP!

440ex2001
10-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Ace Honda in burlington did the machine work on my clylinder and sleeve for my 44o kit. They bored my sleeve out with .008 clearance(ross 89mm) max spec is .003. they then some how installed my sleeve 1/8 of an inch to far down in the jug. The top of the sleeve is not even close to being flush with the head mating surface. I took it to another shop to try and clean up the mess and they informed me that the sleeve is JB welded in and they cant get the sleeve out. What can I do? IS there any way to fix this?

440ex2001
10-27-2004, 03:56 PM
correctio max spec is .005 its .003 over

mojoe2878
10-27-2004, 05:11 PM
oh man. thats bad. if it was mine i believe somebody would be wearing a 400ex jug up their arse.
the man that owns the machine shop that i use usually tries to bore the sleeve out instead of heating the jug up. try to find a machine shop that can do that, its not gonna press out of there with jb weld on it. since they put the jb on there im guessing that they over bored it for the sleeve so there is the possibility that another 440 sleeve may not fit in there properly without puttin jb weld back in there. idk for sure about that , there might be another sleeve thats a little bigger that they can go with. try to ask around at some dealerships for a recomendation on a good machine shop. i have been using the same guy for 8 years now and he's always done good work. make sure you leave a note with the jug,piston and sleeve specifing what the clearance is and everything and check their work b4 you leave. if nothing else look on ebay, i saw a good jug and piston on there a couple days ago and the bid was only up to $60 then and i believe it has another 3 days or so left on the auction.... good luck

cals400ex
10-27-2004, 05:16 PM
i tell you what i would do, first go kick that mechanic in the nuts. after that i would make them fix it or buy you a new one.

Aceman
10-27-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by 440ex2001
What can I do? IS there any way to fix this?

Why didn't you make them fix it? Don't they stand behind their work? You might of shot yourself in the foot though, since your took the cylinder to another machinist. They might not ever replace the cylinder for you now. I would of walked into Ace Honda, looked at the cylinder, and said "I'm not taking that cylinder until it's either fixed or replaced" then I would of walked out. I hope they didn't charge you for anything at least.

ATV Adrenaline
10-27-2004, 08:18 PM
You should go there and make them pay for a brand new cylinder and kit. Im sure you can bring it to a machine shop and have the, punch teh sleeve out. That JB weld is some good glue also. YOu should go back to that place and beat his *** lol:macho :mad: :devil:

440exwlspankyou
10-28-2004, 03:26 AM
ohmygosh!!! I am upset just hearing this story!! I feel bad for you. You NEED to go to the so-called-mechanic and have him replace it for free! It is not your fault that it ruined!

F-16Guy
10-28-2004, 12:52 PM
**I know you've been sworn, I have read your complaint**
Sounds like you might have to make an appearance on The People's Court! lol. Seriously, they will probably have to do one of two things: 1) They buy a new cylinder and sleeve, and install it the right way. 2) They remove the old sleeve, clean everything up, and have a custom sleeve made to fit the cylinder that they messed up. Either way, you're probably going to have to fight them for it. Most of the time a shop won't admit when they screw something up at first, they'll usually try to somehow pin it on you or the part you gave them to work on. My advice is to be nice at first and see how much they are willing to help, and if they try to weasle out of it, make it a big deal (bug them all the time, call the BBB, and any other legal recourse, possibly even court).

fmf400ex03
10-28-2004, 01:12 PM
well bring it back and show them they messed up and make them replace it all to gether just incase they try to fix it make it worse and then cover it all up. if that doesnt work take it to small claims court and fight it they screwed up and by the sounds of it they might have screwd u because of the time period you have had it so do that and let us all know because if 31000 of us chit on them here at exriders and let them know whats up they'll prolly change there mind.

440ex2001
10-28-2004, 01:47 PM
I fought and fought and fought with them just to get them to get the thing done.They said the sleeve that came with my big bore kit from wiseco was to small. I still have theat sleeve never used in box. They ordered a 88mm from god knows who and they said it kept breaking becasue was wanting to bore it out to much to fit my piston They wne tthrough 3 sleeves! They wouldnt give me my stuff back until I paid for it. It took them 3 months to get the cylinder all screwed up. I'm tired of arguing and calling and driving out there to get lied to. I would get a lawyer and kick there *** but I all in all I just want the freakin kit installed correctly as soon as possible. I appreciate all you support and advice guys :) I'm just going to find a used cylinder install the 87mm sleeve and finally get the kit dont hopefully I have had it since june! If any of you guys have a cylinder or know some one that has was please let me know. Thanks!

fmf400ex03
10-28-2004, 04:26 PM
screw that small claims thos biznatchs and make a big deal out of it you'll get like the hole kit and it installed for free thats what id do and if i lived down there i go in there and flip like usen every word in the book 10 times over and id be yellin louder than any pipe you ever heard and then when they didnt do what i wanted id just have a lil chat with them my self a lawyer and small claims and get all i could outa them its much more worth spending double or tripple what u have to when some 1 screws up. man by the sounds of things your over like a grand or more when it shoulda cost ya like 100 bucks thats what it costs around me. also sounds like u need a new cylinder and them aint cheap

440ex2001
11-04-2004, 08:14 PM
I went down there yesterday and showed them what had happened they said that they would let thier machinist look at it. I told them there was nothing to look at and that you couldnt put the aluminum back in the bore once its gone. They guys messed with it a little and tried to say it was normal. I put the sleeve in and wiggled it around and said that aint normal. I know my machinist standard specs. If you are going to press something it it must be .005" bigger than what you press it in too. Then I showed then the JB weld all over the inside. I asked if the guy thought it was done right why would he use that to hold the sleeve in. They started to give in a little at that point. After they talked to the machinist he admitted that he bored it out to much and that he thought the JB weld would hold and they would order me a new sleeve today. It should be here wednesday. They wanted me to bring in my new sleeve so they could install i for me and try again but I politely declined :)

TRXRacer1
11-05-2004, 01:01 PM
If your cylinder is bored to big for the sleeve a new one might not do anything. Sounds like these jerks need to be put on the boycot list.

440ex2001
11-05-2004, 01:08 PM
They are getting me a whole new clylinder jug not just the sleeve. I'm gonna have like 3 440 sleeves and 2 440 pistons when this is all over with. I just cant wait to get everything together and running.

440exwlspankyou
11-05-2004, 03:13 PM
I am glad to hear this. justice is served.

markk
11-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by 440ex2001
Ace Honda in burlington did the machine work on my clylinder and sleeve for my 44o kit. They bored my sleeve out with .008 clearance(ross 89mm) max spec is .003. they then some how installed my sleeve 1/8 of an inch to far down in the jug. The top of the sleeve is not even close to being flush with the head mating surface. I took it to another shop to try and clean up the mess and they informed me that the sleeve is JB welded in and they cant get the sleeve out. What can I do? IS there any way to fix this?

Have the machine shop buy u a new cylinder, and B*tch B*tch B*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!tch!!

440exwlspankyou
11-05-2004, 05:51 PM
now you can put some of the other sleeves on ebay. someone will want them. How much do you want for a sleeve?