PDA

View Full Version : New Big Gun Pipe????

Kirklandrock
04-14-2002, 09:48 PM
Does anyone have one of the "NEW" Big Gun full systems????
What changes did they make to it???? O.K. O.K. is it better...
Is it good....... Whats the verdict?????

VegasEx'r
04-14-2002, 10:08 PM
Is there something newer than the 2001 exhaust's they released a year or so ago?

Kirklandrock
04-14-2002, 10:19 PM
No, I guess thats the one I'm refering to....... Heard some crummy reviews of the old Big Gun..... but there was somewhat a buzz about the new model that was coming out.......
Ya got one....... You like....
Something was supposed to be different about the head pipe design that was gonna make it better......... just curious

VegasEx'r
04-14-2002, 10:26 PM
I'm not sure if they changed the design of the headpipe or not. What I THINK they did (& I could be wrong) is this: The pipe & silencer were ceramic coated on all models, they came out with the "quiet" core (before, I think everything was "race" or loud), and they added a billet endcap w/ a SA. I have the race exhaust & really like it. It is loud, but not too loud (but I don't think that a top-fuel NHRA dragster is loud either). It is a good top end exhaust. I did notice a couple of weeks ago that my SA had blown out, or melted, or something, so it didn't last long (about 6 months). It could be that it the exhaust got too hot for it while I was tuning/jetting the motor after I added a piston & cam. So I don't know if it is a weak SA or if I was just too hard on it. I'm happy with mine & say it's worth the money. Hope that helps.

MIKE400EX
04-15-2002, 07:14 AM
The newer versions, out for about a year now, have billet end caps, and the head pipe diameter is supposed to be a little larger. I havn't verified the size issue, but there's been much argument about the old one having a smaller than stock dia. - and I know mine's bigger. The quiet core insert and race insert (re: straight thru) are interchangeable - at least on the new one. The quiet core is very quiet, not quite like the stock muffler, but it does have a deep rumble tone, kind of like half a Ducati. The quiet core can be modified to give some even better gains w/o much more noise. Unmodified I gained alot of bottom & midrange, modifed I gained some good top end too and still a lot quiter than the race pipes. Well worth the money. Also, you can switch cores if you're going to a more noise tolerant area or race track.

ChadEXer
04-15-2002, 08:34 AM
I found out from Terry that the new big Guns have bigger headpipes, they are ceramic coated,,,and he seems to think they are the hottst pipe on the market right now!!!
the old Big Guns sucked,,,,they had SMALL headpipes!!! I had one on my bike when i bought it and it was all rusted on top of that. i threw a Yoshi on and it made a HUGE difference!!
if Terry thinks they are awesome then they probably are
Call Terry up and get you one!!!

K400EX&A250EX
04-15-2002, 12:42 PM
I've got a "newer" big gun on my 400 and I was VERY pleased with it. I'm not an expert, and never had another exhaust to compare it to, but I was very pleased with the install, the looks, AND the results. I'm going to pull out the SA next time I'm out where I can ride without it and see what difference, if any, that makes.

04-15-2002, 01:12 PM
I'm glad to hear that everyone is having such good luck/gains with the Big Gun. I just ordered the race series from Marcum's and can't wait to put it on. Supposedly they are supposed to be the hottest slip-on for the 400's right now. He said that he had the full Yoshi system and replaced it with the full BG system. I only purchased the slip-on, because I'm having my stock head pipe ceramic coated to match the BG. In my pov a ceramic coated stocker is better than a non coated aftermarket.

ChadEXer
04-15-2002, 01:36 PM
I was at the powdercoating shop today and seen a set of race car headers coated in ceramic powder. they look awesome. there only charging me $15 to coat my headers!!!!
it'll look good with that TC pipe!!!!