View Full Version : sunk

dirtysouth400ex
10-27-2004, 10:31 AM
i sunk my 400 in 8ft of water upsidedown ...lol well ive changed the oil about10x till it was normal color again ordered a new air and oil filter and im going to emprty the gas tank is there anything else i can do to help it?

EPDP99
10-27-2004, 10:39 AM
clean the carb thouroughly

10-27-2004, 10:54 AM
after you do all that pray

mojoe2878
10-27-2004, 11:07 AM
if you havent run it since it happened you may want to spray some wd-40 in the cylinder to help keep it from gettin any surface rust in ther until you ride again. after you clean it up real good it will be fine. i cant count how many times ive run my hunting 4-wheeler in water that was over the handle bars and i just clean it up and it keeps goin fine. ive had to change my oil on the trail a few times and drain the fuel from doin that, it got to the point where i carry a couple quarts of oil and some fresh gas with me when i go muddin now.

Aceman
10-27-2004, 08:37 PM
I would take as many electrical connections apart as possible and blow them out with a hair dryer, make sure they are good and dry. If you leave them and they start corroding, you might start having electrical problems in the future. Squeeze some silicone dielectric grease around the connections and put them back together.

jahaiap
10-27-2004, 09:40 PM
yeah, aceman said it, EVERY electrical connection...all of them. i just had to replace my rectifier because i thought it was a good idea to ride through brackish water for six months straight. take them apart clean them, let them dry and pack them with dielectric grease. after you do that you should be good for a while. one more thing you might not have done yet is stand your bike on its end and see if any water comes out of the little holes in the frame. i never tried it but you might have standing water in parts of your frame that are not sealed. water isnt the best for sportbikes, but its cool to hop off in the deep stuff and let it paddle itself through in second:eek2: good luck

buddy what not
10-28-2004, 06:31 PM
hey id lube all the cables too water probbaly got in them change the oil plug dry the air filter and change the oil filter for sure did u tkae the spark plug out and turn the engine over after it sunk ? if not there probably still watre sitting in the oil :eek:

fmf400ex03
10-28-2004, 07:47 PM
THIS WONT LET YOU DOWN JUST FOLLOW STEP BY STEP! Fist drain all oil and gas from motor carb and tank remove spark plug. Second take the oil and air filter out. With the oil filter just rinse it with oil till there is no water in it and put back in the machine. With the k&n dry it then just use the recharge kit and recharge it, don’t by another 1 not necessary. Third put oil in machine then drain do this till there is no water in oil or till oil has lost the milky or whitish color(rinse oil filter every change)(do not put new filter in yet while doing this). Forth, Once oil is clean with the spark plug removed hit the starter button and make sure there is no water in the head on top of the piston hold hand over make sure fuel is off and u should feel nothing but air no mist or anything just air. Fifth Hold starter for 10 seconds then change oil remember to rinse oil filter do this with no plug till oil is clean again. Sixth, Once oil is all clean with out running the motor and there is no water in carb or fuel, put gas in tank 93 octane with new plug and start it up run for about 5-10 minutes repeat this step till oil is clean. Seventh take it for a ride with the rinsed oil filter in and k&n in ride till motor is at normal temp then drain don’t rev motor high only light revs repeat till oil is clean and still rinse oil filter. Eighth when oil is clean change plug and oil filter and ride it take it easy ride it for about an hour then drain if it is still water in there drain it and repeat step eight again if oil seems fine change it rinse filter with oil then ride it normal for like a normal day ride then look at it again if its good after that last long ride happy trails kid. This is a long process but it works very well it was should to me like 3 years ago I have sank a forman a quadsport 230 a 400 and a blaster never had asingle problem with then sense. When your doing all the oil changes don’t run the good stuff just go to walmart and get the walmart special only put the good stuff in when u start to ride it that’s when it counts. DO NOT LET THE MACHINE SIT FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME ONCE YOU START CHANGING OIL DON’T STOP TILL COMPLETE CYLINDERS RUST VERY EASY. DO NOT SPRAY ANY THING IN CYINDER NOY WD40 NOTHING ELECTRICAL SHOULD BE FINE DON’T WORRY ABOUT ANY OF THAT. EVER WASH A QUAD THAT ELECTRICAL GETS WET FORGET ABOUT ALL THAT IT WILL TAKE A FEW MIN TO GET HER STARTED DON’T GET MAD I HAVE DONE THIS WITH LIKE 6 OIL CHANGES AND I HAVE DONE LIKE 30 IT ALL DEPENDS. I sank my 400 in the lake when it was -10 it was under water for 24 hours I pulled it out and started draining it with in 1hour from I pulled it out do not let it sit do this as fast and as carefully as possible and you should be fine if any problems with this let me know and I will clarify.

fastkid400
10-28-2004, 09:06 PM
:eek2: there u go^^^ thatll werk:D

dirtysouth400ex
10-29-2004, 09:46 AM
hey ... i kinda have a problem..... we were forced to let it sit it sat for about 5 days :mad: :ermm: :( i know its bad but we had to (long story) anyways we dont know to much about engines, how do we check to see if the cylinder is rusted (o gahhh i never wanna sink agian) lol

red2004 TRX450R
10-29-2004, 11:30 AM
I sunk a 1987 Honda 200sx in a swamp like 12 years ago and some one stool it. Any why they drained out the gas and oil like 5 times and then they road it for like a week. Then I found it and drained the gas and oil once and it still runs to day!!!

U cant stop a HONDA !!!

initall
10-29-2004, 11:43 AM
Start the tear down of the top end

fmf400ex03
10-29-2004, 01:40 PM
your going to need to prolly send it some where. you said you dont know that much about motors. well im sorry tuff luck that cyinder has rust all in it do not turn that motor you need to take it all apart and look for rust especially in the cylinder. put it this way i rebuild car motors for a part time job if i send a motor out to even say bore in like a hair and they dont spray the cylinders when it comes outa the heat take give it about 30minutes to an hour and it will have some rust doesnt take long so take it aprt and if you dont feel comfortable doing that then bring it to a shop this is not a first timers project and there is a lot to it and can be messed up pretty easly. what they will prolly have to do at the shop is pull it all apart and sand every thing down to get rid of all the rust in there i just wouldnt chance trying to run it or move that piston up or down in the cylinder to cause damage. as of right now if they are a good shop you prolly will only need gaskets and pay for laybor shouldnt be to to bad. if you need any other ideas or help pm me and ill gladly help you out. i have been there before man and know 1 really knows what to do untill they have had it happen and i have done it quite a bit so just pm for any thing or advice.