PDA

View Full Version : dam

Scott-300ex
10-26-2004, 05:32 PM
ok, i was in branson mossurri, and there was a damn, so i was at the bottom of it looking at it, the this really loud horn went off, it was just like a semi truck air horn, i was wondering what made this noise, i thought i heard somewhere that that is when they release the air that is in there, and they didn't open the damn up or anything it pretty well stayed closed, just like it was the whole time.

if you know what this is or was please reply

later

theTman
10-26-2004, 05:36 PM
:huh

I-7
10-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Umn... a damn what?? Like a damn kid... or a damn car??? Or do you mean a dam as in the hoover dam?

n00b on a 400ex
10-26-2004, 05:54 PM
damn...

mojoe2878
10-26-2004, 05:54 PM
they uaually sound a horn like that at a dam whenever a boat is going through. they sound it when they open the gate at one end and let it into the "lock" then drain the water or fill the "lock" with water ( depending on which way the boat is going), then they sound the horn again when they open the doors to let it out. they might have just been testing the horn if you didnt see the doors open on either side.

LTandRaptorider
10-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by I-7
Umn... a damn what?? Like a damn kid... or a damn car??? Or do you mean a dam as in the hoover dam?

That's what I was thinking! :D

Dam=man-made structure to control water flow.

Damn=an expletive. ;)

And to answer your question... my guess is they sound the horn when they open gates to release water.

LTandRaptorider
10-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by mojoe2878
they uaually sound a horn like that at a dam whenever a boat is going through. they sound it when they open the gate at one end and let it into the "lock" then drain the water or fill the "lock" with water ( depending on which way the boat is going), then they sound the horn again when they open the doors to let it out. they might have just been testing the horn if you didnt see the doors open on either side.

Hmmm... don't know if he was talking about a lock system, or dams... :confused:

Scott-300ex
10-26-2004, 06:11 PM
ok, i spelt it dam not damn:rolleyes:

it wasn't like the panama canal, it was like this

..................................lake
................................dam
..............................dam
............................dam
..........................dam
river

Bush0102
10-26-2004, 06:26 PM
The horn doesnt always mean that the gates are going to open...most dams have power generators that are inside the actual structure...and when they allow water to flow through and turn the generators, you won't see the water coming through the gates, but you'll see it speeding up towards the bottom of the dam. This will raise the water levels and speed of the river below. Also after the horn sounds, they usually dont let water flow for 15 or 20 minutes to allow fishermen, etc. to get out of the water before they start pupming.

but what you described sounds like a lock system...so i dunno if it had something to do with that.

mojoe2878
10-26-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Hmmm... don't know if he was talking about a lock system, or dams... :confused:
lol... i was talkin about dam's.... the lock is just a holding area that is built into a dam for the boats to enter into so they can raise or lower the water level to match either side of the river so the boat can get past.

LazeR
10-26-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
i thought i heard somewhere that that is when they release the air that is in there, and they didn't open the damn up or anything it pretty well stayed closed,

Blow Off Valve ;)

bulkdriverlp
10-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102
The horn doesnt always mean that the gates are going to open...most dams have power generators that are inside the actual structure...and when they allow water to flow through and turn the generators, you won't see the water coming through the gates, but you'll see it speeding up towards the bottom of the dam. This will raise the water levels and speed of the river below. Also after the horn sounds, they usually dont let water flow for 15 or 20 minutes to allow fishermen, etc. to get out of the water before they start pupming.

but what you described sounds like a lock system...so i dunno if it had something to do with that. youve got it right mike exactly!!!when the horn sounds get out of the water immediately. the level will raise. theres 7 hydroelectric dams form oscoda to grayling in michigan.

Scott-300ex
10-27-2004, 02:42 PM
yeah, i waited for like 5 minutes but nothing happened cause i figured it would take a while, but then i went to the top of the damn and there was a fisherman in a jon boat about 50 feet away from the damn, not very smart for him i guess

bulkdriverlp
10-27-2004, 02:51 PM
no

sickmojave
10-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102
Also after the horn sounds, they usually dont let water flow for 15 or 20 minutes to allow fishermen, etc. to get out of the water before they start pupming.

that's the Beaver lake dam. I have been there a few times. and Bush Has it right. oh and there are no locks on that dam.

HA HA i got to say beaver and bush in the same reply:devil:

popo
10-27-2004, 04:26 PM
Would somebody answer the dahm question......:D

Punk'd
10-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by n00b on a 400ex
damn...

yep..

YFZ450Ridr
10-27-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd
yep..

ahh yes wonderful thread(sips soda)

JUSTINcredible
10-27-2004, 05:51 PM
just when i thought the stupid posts were starting to end... i see this damn thread:p