PDA

View Full Version : Flooding Carb In Low RPM?!?!?!

04-14-2002, 07:23 PM
hey whenver i do a really slow 1st gear wheelie or try to tap the throttle in a really low rpm, the engine dies and it seems and sounds like my carb is flooding. im thinking my pilot jet is too rich cuz this only happens in about 1\8 throttle and in low rpm. is there anything else that could be causing this? i think im gonna go down to a 40 pilot, what do u think?? thanks

DEAL
04-14-2002, 07:46 PM
Sounds liek your acclerator pump isn't working.

Holty
04-14-2002, 08:59 PM
You have a 400ex right? Stock pilot is a 38 I believe. If you are running higher than a 40 than it is very possible you are running to rich. Try the 40pj.

04-16-2002, 05:51 PM
If it's only happening from idle to 1/8 throttle than it's definately your pilot jet. Unless you've removed your choke, you really don't need bigger than a 40 pilot jet.

400exBro
04-16-2002, 06:51 PM
You might not have to change your pilot, you have a pilot screw, if you have a honda manual look it up but i think left you lean it out and right you richen it, try this if it dosen't work then go down i pilot.
Bro

400exJOE
04-16-2002, 07:10 PM
I have the same problem. Especially today when the temp around here was 85*!!! I drilled out my pilot jet so I dont know exactly what size it is. I did this for my 440. Anyways, my choke is still on, but I am removing it once I get my 42 pilot. (Hopefully soon!) My real question is tho, will the 42 still be too rich if the quad is warmed up and I try to start it? Because today when it was hot out, I tried to start the quad after talking w/ friends and taking quick breaks, and it flooded bad and just cranked. It also wouldn't idle well and I have the adjustment screw all the way in to conpensate of the bigger pilot. Again, my main question is will the quad start ok after it is warmed up w/ the 42 pilot and no choke? Thanks

SUPERFLY 400
04-16-2002, 07:31 PM
Your problem may be your pilot screw is turned in all the way. I'm supprised it runs. Back off your pilot screw 3 turns out. Get your enging warm then fine tune your pilot screw adjustment between the point of lower rpm and higher rpm. You may want to check your aircleaner and plug.

Just my 2 cents

400exJOE
04-16-2002, 08:02 PM
Ok, thats a pretty good idea. I think I will go back it out 3 turns now and check my plug. I cleaned my air filter today so that shouldn't be a problem. As for the 42 pilot, should I have any probablem starting a warmed up engine because its too rich? Thanks for the advice:D

SUPERFLY 400
04-16-2002, 08:11 PM
Is your pilot jet a 42 or did you drill it out yourself. If it was drilled, you may have made the opening to big. Its don't take much to oversize the hole. You could have oblonged the jet when you clamped still while you where drilling (just a guess). Then i would say go buy your self a pilot jet for around $8.

Later