PDA

View Full Version : Lectron Carb

roostin_dale
10-25-2004, 07:11 PM
I just bought a new lectron carb that doesnt use any jets. I dont know how many people have heard of them but you dont jet them. It is also a flatslide. Just wondering if anyone has some info on how these work?

thanks

cals400ex
10-26-2004, 01:48 AM
i honestly can't tell you how they work. i talked to rocky ridge about those carbs and he loves them. he said to only get a 36 or 38 mm for my 426. he mentioned they flowed much better than the fcr's on the flowbench. i hear they needed cleaned often though. i realize this didn't help you much. :o

EPDP99
10-26-2004, 08:20 AM
where did you get it and what id you pay for it if you dont mind me askin? Thanks, Eric

roostin_dale
10-26-2004, 12:02 PM
I found the info i needed, thanks. The carb cost about 300 new from a retailer but i got mine off ebay. Yea, they need cleaned very often and i hear they are only good for MX.

EPDP99
10-26-2004, 01:01 PM
can you post the info because im looking into getting a new carb for mine. Thanks, Eric

Rico
10-26-2004, 02:27 PM
I Hope you like fooling with a carb every other ride. that's if you even get to ride with it on...:o

I"d rather take the 1 less HP of the FCR, mount it up and be done with it.

Lectrons need to be mounted at a 1 o'clock position, you have to move your entire airbox forward 1 or 2 inches, make up new brackets, clean the carb every other ride, dremel out the throttle housing so you get a full throw of the thumb lever, they've been known to stick WFO while riding....Want me to keep going on what it takes to make a lectron work on a 400ex...:confused:

EPDP99
10-26-2004, 02:31 PM
LOL, No thanks Rico. Just trying to find out my options for carbs. Dont know whether the 39 or 41 would best suite me?

JRDrider22
10-26-2004, 03:05 PM
i have a lectron. you dont have to clean it every 2 rides. mine been working fine and i rode in sand and some wat muddy conditions with it. i love how it works..its really simple. but when that throttle sticks...its time to clean the gate

roostin_dale
10-26-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I Hope you like fooling with a carb every other ride. that's if you even get to ride with it on...:o

I"d rather take the 1 less HP of the FCR, mount it up and be done with it.

Lectrons need to be mounted at a 1 o'clock position, you have to move your entire airbox forward 1 or 2 inches, make up new brackets, clean the carb every other ride, dremel out the throttle housing so you get a full throw of the thumb lever, they've been known to stick WFO while riding....Want me to keep going on what it takes to make a lectron work on a 400ex...:confused:

well, they must be different for a 300ex because a friend that races national youth production uses one and its great. Besides I got a brand new throttle cable and the carb for 50 bux, so whats it gunna hurt...

JRDrider22
10-26-2004, 04:38 PM
its easy to clean too. nice price!

03400EX_Nacs
10-26-2004, 10:31 PM
i have one.. can't tell you anything about jetting or anything but i love it! it made my throttle feel like a new bike

chad502ex
10-27-2004, 11:10 AM
I have a 41mm Lectron Powerjet carb on my 502ex, and it's been working great for years. I will tell you that the carb slide does stick from dust when you don't clean it out every once in a while (I clean mine maybe once or twice a year). A lot of ppl get confused about the Lectron carb sticking, but the fact is 400ex motors like to get wet with fuel on bottom end and Lectrons do not have an accelerator pump to quench it's thirst and prevent an extreme lean condition on low rpms that can cause the motor to rev out higher than normal throttle position. A quick burb of the throttle wets the motor and removes this lean condition. In other words, stay on the gas! hehe. This extreme lean condition mainly occurs with Lectrons if motor is extremely hot, but an accurate taper on the metering rod removes this problem. FCR's and Lectrons are basically the same carb. FCR's have accelerator pump and slide bearings, and Lectrons have Powerjet for top end fuel dump from the dual float bowl. Lectrons use metering rods, FCR's uses main jets. Metering rods covers about 10 main jet sizes instead of just one size from FCR. On four-strokes motors you can run as lean as you want without any concern of catastrophic failure. It's just on top end that you don't want to run lean cause you might have meltdown or have loss power.

Kevin from FastByGast.com (FBG) is really knowledgable about Lectrons and can help anyone interested in using them.

Lectron adapters to intake are available thru FBG too.

I only recommend Lectrons for big bore stroker combinations and if you are skilled in dialing in your motor. If you want "plug and play" carb with minimal tinkering to tweak- go with FCR at twice the cost.

hope this helps. my 0.02.
chad502ex.com

chad502ex
10-27-2004, 11:13 AM
"On four-strokes motors you can run as lean as you want without any concern of catastrophic failure."

I really meant,...

On four-strokes motors you can run as lean as you want on low end without any concern of catastrophic failure.

oopps

:o

chad