PDA

View Full Version : New Gear Oil MissinG Shifts

Wayne64SS
10-25-2004, 10:54 AM
Hey guys i changed my tranny poil the other day to that Honda Synthetic 2 stroke stuff 80w everyone on here says to use. its ina red bottle and the fluid is red. Anyway since iv changed it this has happened to me a few times. I'll be riding really hard in a drag scenario and shift from 3rd to 4th and ill shift into 4 th and it'll nail the rev limiter instantly then clunk into gear??? Its done it 3 or 4 times to me already. I remember when i got the quad i didnt like the position of the shift lever so i mover it up one tooth. I'm wondering if now with the new fluid oits shifting more precise and since i've moved the lever its not quite getting all the way into gear??? Maybe i just have my head in my ***??? All i can tell you is it doesnt feel or sound good for anything when it happens. ANy help you guys can give me i would appretiate. ... note - i havent had it happen to me when shifting without the clutch. it doesnt feel like clutch slippage because it kinda bangs into gear after it hits the limiter it doesnt slip in gradually as if it was slipping ??

mikes450r
10-25-2004, 11:11 AM
I use the same stuff and also moved my shifter up a little bit..cause i couldnt shift real good with my boots on..But i dont miss 3rd or 4th gear....i dont think i ever have...i will miss 2nd though..it seems like there is a big gap between 1st and 2nd

allmixedup047
10-25-2004, 12:00 PM
i did the same thing when i first put in new clutch oil. i used blendzall 70w stuff and i didnt like it. so i got the HP and it seemed to stop doing it. i dont know what made it do it in the first place, maybe just needed to be broke in.:confused:

Wayne64SS
10-25-2004, 12:10 PM
huh?? is this something i should be worried about you think?? should i stick with this oil now or change it out for the reg honda 10-40 i was running before?? should i bringit in for a warranty repair???

allmixedup047
10-25-2004, 12:26 PM
i think it will stop after a while.
is it hard to put it into a gear and then when it does go into the gear is kinda hits hard?

Wayne64SS
10-25-2004, 01:25 PM
it feels like it shifts normal (at least the action of the lever) except the revs go sky high and then it slams into gear. i mean its not a real loud violent thing but its def not what i would call normal.

allmixedup047
10-25-2004, 01:28 PM
you could try adjusting your clutch. sounds like it may be slipping from the new oil. but i dont know.

sntheticdeluson
10-25-2004, 05:44 PM
i was told by honda that they have seen that problem with useing synthetic oil in the trans. they recomended useing regular oil in the tranny and the synth.the the engine i was haveing the same problem i did what they said and i havent had the problem since i mean im no world class racer and im sure people here will say otherwise but it worked for me

Jersey450R
10-25-2004, 07:39 PM
wow this is weird, i changed my oil in both sides the other day(honda 10-40) and then went ridin. i have to say i missed 2nd about 8 times. it didnt do it when i had the older oil in there. seems like this is happening to some other people too.

mikes450r
10-25-2004, 09:16 PM
thats the same with me...i always miss 2nd...I never thought about it being the oil though...It just fells like theres a big gap between 1st and 2nd to me...not like the rest of the gears...does anyone else fell like that also..

allmixedup047
10-25-2004, 09:25 PM
i think this is what im going to start using. it a non synthetic i believe. http://www.honda.ca/MotorcycleEng/Accessories/ProHondaFluids/0500-CB66841.htm

i was using the HP gear oil in the tall red tube bottles and its been pretty good so far, but im going to see if this stuff with help at all when i do my next change.

10-26-2004, 11:10 AM
let us know how it is compared to the other stuff in the tall red bottle...i'd like to switch if I know something else is better

Seano
10-26-2004, 02:06 PM
i have a new 05 and lasr week in glamis i missed the 3rd to 4th shift like 7-8times. i didnt miss it before when i had stock gearing but when i dropped the counter i found myself in 3rd and 4th a lot more. i have fresh hp oil and am really worried onetime its going to grenade the tranny. i really dont know why its doing this. my 87 zilla always made the shifts smooth. i think its a flaw in the honda tranny myself.

10-26-2004, 04:13 PM
u shouldnt be missing 3-4th gear shifts...change your tranny fluid again & look for any little metal pieces....thats a sign of your tranny about to say bye bye

10-26-2004, 06:24 PM
I use Golden Spectro 20W50 full synthetic in the engine (I broke it in with regular Golden Spectro 20W50 first) and regular Golden Spectro 80W 2 stroke oil in the trans. I haven't had any problems. Yes, full synthetic is too slippery to use in the tranmission in my opinion.

R3Concepts
10-26-2004, 10:46 PM
The 450R has a false neutral between 3rd and 4th. Alot of racers out here are having problems with this very thing.

Seano
10-26-2004, 11:23 PM
it has to be just a false nuetral. when boys say they bump it off the rev limiter its just becouse they are gassing it like its in gear.

yellow_screamer
11-03-2004, 05:20 PM
for those of you that are missing 1st to 2nd that's because you don't shift up far enough, and you're actually shifting into neutral. Used to do this on my old 250r but it's just in neutral....