PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Barrel with extra cooling fins???

hapychap
10-25-2004, 12:32 AM
Please help.

A mate of mine just broke his bike because of over heating.

Has a 416 JE HC piston, stage II hotcam and GT Thunder CDI.

Piston burnt badly and desintigrated. I read once on the net somewhere that a compnay was offering an aftermarket barrel which had longer cooling fins to help cool and disapate heat buildup.

Can anyone shed some light or make a recomendation? Heat is a problem in these parts. We ride in the desert and it is sand and dunes all the way. Bikes labour hard in the sand, tempretures or hot and high so air density is less. Bikes always run in high RPM but sand and dunes put allot of strain on the motor and forward momentum to generate airflow is not proportional to engine workload.

Already have air scoops installed, high volume pingray oil tank with extra cooling channels through the tank. We do not have a big budget but want to solve the problem as best we can and cool the motor down as much as possible to keep the power up.

Please help. :ermm:

frosti108
10-25-2004, 12:38 AM
well you might try an oil cooler as well...

otherwise it looks like you and your buds should get some liquid cooled quads :) lol

hapychap
10-25-2004, 12:50 AM
:( Would be easy to buy new quads if money was not an issue.

What oil cooler do you suggest?
Heat buildup will be predominantly in the barrel which oil does not really get to or have a major cooling effect, so how much of a difference will an oil cooler make in this area? Have read about the one cooler option which has an oil feed directly into the head but that is a super expensive upgrade.

:confused: Has anyone heard or know of an High Volume oil pump on these bikes? Or is it a splash feed design? :ermm:

Quadmanic
10-25-2004, 02:13 AM
Hi guys.
Just like to add that my quad only started getting extreamly hot since I fitted the 416 piston. so my question is, " is this the norm" and secondly I heard that once you start fitting all the AMP's such as hotcam stage 2, pistons, high rev CDI ect ect the Quad tends to battle with endures, great for MX but not long Hauls across the desert?

http://groups.msn.com/QAUDMANIC/home.htm

Juggalo
10-25-2004, 03:15 AM
xrsonly (i believe thats the name of the place) does that fin mod your talkin about. its sposed to work really well.

44oEX
10-25-2004, 07:20 AM
this will help alot

http://webpages.charter.net/tandrus...exCoolerMod.pdf

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124375

sickmojave
10-25-2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Juggalo
xrsonly (i believe thats the name of the place) does that fin mod your talkin about. its sposed to work really well.

wow I never seen that before.:eek: looks like it would help.

http://www.xrsonly.com/large/extended_cyl_head_fins.jpg

UglyMotha™
10-25-2004, 07:55 AM
i think you guys just need to figure out what is wrong with the bike to begin with there is no reason your piston should have melted down in the desert specially a 416, i would say your jetted way to lean or is your buddy running an advance key cause if you run a key with that box you will gernade your piston but instead of trying to figure out what to add to your bike you need to figure out what your doing wrong to begin with what type of fuel are you running and the heat you probably should have been running race fuel you could have even blown the piston up from pre detonation

UglyMotha™
10-25-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by sickmojave
wow I never seen that before.:eek: looks like it would help.

http://www.xrsonly.com/large/extended_cyl_head_fins.jpg

my head went out to have that done, i guess we'll see how it works in the spring :o

LazeR
10-25-2004, 10:46 AM
I with uglymotha, sounds like your to lean, if anything jet rich, it will make your bike run cooler, you can even go with a colder plug and that will help as well!

Quadmanic
11-08-2004, 01:12 AM
Hi Guys

Thanks a million for you comments and thoughts, you have been great support, that’s what makes this site a world of knowledge just at the click of a button, Ok back to work, just a thought, I have added a larger Oil reservoir for better cooling, but can the existing standard pump handle the bigger reservoir. ? she is almost back together just waiting for piston to arrive and I’m out were the sun shines, yeah we have to wait awhile to get parts.
But I will be sure to check that the jetting is not running lean and change to a cooler plug.

Quadmanic

44oEX
11-08-2004, 04:49 AM
yeah the stock pump is good enough don't worry about it

UglyMotha™
11-08-2004, 07:47 AM
:huh your not goin to be pumping any more oil than the stocker so why wouldn't your pump handle it......... it only holds an extra quart but dont get your hopes up...... a larger oil tank really does nothing for the cooling of the motor

foleyit
11-08-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
i think you guys just need to figure out what is wrong with the bike to begin with there is no reason your piston should have melted down in the desert specially a 416, i would say your jetted way to lean or is your buddy running an advance key cause if you run a key with that box you will gernade your piston but instead of trying to figure out what to add to your bike you need to figure out what your doing wrong to begin with what type of fuel are you running and the heat you probably should have been running race fuel you could have even blown the piston up from pre detonation

I agree with Ugly here. I have a 416 with a 12.5:1 compression piston and I don't have any problems with heating.

yellowrider
11-08-2004, 08:20 AM
like someone stated above i believe you friends bike was lean..

you could also go to napa and buy a small transmisson cooler and mount it in front of the bike behind the bumper their was memeber that did something like this around 2 years ago i believe.. lol ..

sorry i couldnt be that much of a help.. goodluck getting the bugs worked out.

MIKE400EX
11-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Happychap,
Is the gas octane rating there high enough to warrant running a high comp. piston and an ignition box (that likely also advances the timing some) in that hot air? Maybe it was getting hot and self-destructed because of detonation or pre-ignition? An aftermarket cooler that redirects cool oil into the top of the head would probably work best.

sleepin400
11-08-2004, 05:58 PM
I'd stick with the majority with it being run lean. I'd say look at that spark plug. Jet up. Get some air scoops.

Has anyone considered that it might be the bore of the cylinder was toleranced to small? If it causes too much friction it would get hotter. Engine builders set tolerances different that others.

just an idea.

400exracer511
11-08-2004, 08:53 PM
dont mean to hijack the thread but those xr's only fins look awsome!! it looks like they weld them to the stock head and cyl? how much do they charge????

UglyMotha™
11-09-2004, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by 400exracer511
dont mean to hijack the thread but those xr's only fins look awsome!! it looks like they weld them to the stock head and cyl? how much do they charge????

they do exactly that and it's 250 plus shipping charges

jahaiap
11-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by 44oEX
this will help alot

http://webpages.charter.net/tandrus...exCoolerMod.pdf

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124375

thats on an xr, right? is the pic reversed...im just wondering cause the clutch and sproket are on the same side of the bike...im not farmiliar with dirtbikes, just wondering

UglyMotha™
11-12-2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by jahaiap
thats on an xr, right? is the pic reversed...im just wondering cause the clutch and sproket are on the same side of the bike...im not farmiliar with dirtbikes, just wondering

thats' not the xr400 im pretty positive it's the 650 :o

hapychap
11-21-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by MIKE400EX
Happychap,
Is the gas octane rating there high enough to warrant running a high comp. piston and an ignition box (that likely also advances the timing some) in that hot air? Maybe it was getting hot and self-destructed because of detonation or pre-ignition? An aftermarket cooler that redirects cool oil into the top of the head would probably work best.

:ermm: We only get 2 types of gas here, regular and super which I guess is between the 92 - 98 octane.

Race gas would not be an option because we ride long hauls and would not be able to carry extra gas or be able to pump at the gas stations en-route. :(

The AM cooler for the head is a bit costly with the exchange rate and my biggest concern really is getting a decent qualified machine shop to do a quality job which will last. It's expensive to fix mistakes and takes a good long while to get parts which is even more frustrating :mad: