PDA

View Full Version : new racer in TN

zoe17
10-24-2004, 08:53 PM
I currently ride a 300ex and am 34. I ride alot of tight woods around here. I want to try racing in a few hare scrambles. My friends ride bikes in these and will help with pits, etc.

I have all the safety gear I need and alot of spare parts. But, I have never raced and do not know anything about it. I just want to finish. I logged on and read the rules. What class should one enter? Beginner/30+c/??? Who assigns your number and when? Gotta have a number plate right?

The last few years at VSTA/southern woods rider fall ride at Lorretta's I have been making good times and endurance should not be a large issue. Just want to try and see how I compare to other people my age. Again I have never raced and any help/tips would be great. Thanks in advance for your replies.

bradley300
10-25-2004, 03:02 AM
what series are you trting? i suggest the mid souths if your in TN. no you dont need number plates and you will be assigned a number at sign up, you will get a sticker w/ your number on that you put on the back of your helmet and you will get one w/ a bar code to put on the left cheek of your helmet, this is scanned every lap at the finish. i would try the first year racer class and see how you do. good luck

www.msws.org

smr
10-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Hey dude...If you run the MSWS you will be running in my class..it's cool and we have a couple of guys running 300ex's. We have fun and try not to kill each other. Our next race is Sunday at Hurricane Mills. If you are gonna be there then let me know if you need anything and we will help you get started.

You will need to join the ATVA (this can be done at signup).

good luck

zoe17
10-25-2004, 05:55 PM
Well I guess I am going to try the 143offroad harescramble. It should be a learning experience for sure.

Thanks for the replies I am sure I will need all the and advise as I have never tried to race before. You never know until you try. I am just wanting to try and finish. So should I start out in begin. class or 33+C class? I have been told both so I do not really know. Some people say there are alot of sandbaggers in beg,/novice class

In the 33+ class are there CC divisions or is run what you have? Guess I have alot to learn. Thanks for your help guys.

smr
10-25-2004, 07:01 PM
dude..either class will be fine. There is no cc limit in either class so you may be running against anything. The most important thing to remember is to have fun.

Look for me when you get there. I will be driving a tan F150 ext. cab. If I pull my trailer it is an 18ft white wedge nose. I ride a red 400ex and you usually see me hanging with a black 400ex and blue and white 250x. My name is Harold.

See you at the races.

jesshamner
10-25-2004, 11:07 PM
I should be there too. Come and say hi. I drive a white Nissan Frontier and will have a black cannondale cannibal.

smr
10-26-2004, 08:18 AM
How many of the kentuckyriders are gonna be ther?

cdalejef
10-26-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by smr
How many of the kentuckyriders are gonna be ther? I'm a maybe...it depends on what day our county decides to celebrate halloween.

jesshamner
10-26-2004, 03:10 PM
I'm the only one as far as I know. I'm sure that Bradley300 is going to the 12 hour race. Jeff, are you not going this year? I forgot to post anything about it over at kentuckyriders.com. I'll post something now.

cdalejef
10-26-2004, 03:38 PM
No, I'm not doing the 12 Hour race. I do know that BA (Brian Adams) and Mike Summers will be there for sure.

smr
10-26-2004, 06:00 PM
Cool Jeff...I hope to see you there.

Bring Brad with ya..I rode with him once at Turkey bay. That kid is fast.

Bill Fuller
10-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Come on out and have fun.It's your first race so like you already said concentrate on finishing.Remember to let the faster rider by.If someone is yelling at you they want to pass,trying to gas it and ride faster is only putting you at risk.The best thing to do when a faster rider comes up on you is to look for a safe place to ease over.Most importantly always look before pulling back out on the trail since the guy/girl yelling is probably trying to maintain thier lead or charge for the lead.This is the best time to learn,try to follow the quicker riders and learn new lines.Be prepared for atleast a 30 mile race.1 1/2 to 2 hrs. is pretty much a given.Prepare your bike for the worst conditions(mud,water,dust,rocks that cut worn tires etc....)I would suggest loctighting all bolts,use dielectric grease on all electrical connections even the spark plug boot.Bring a Camel Back or some kind of hydration system,you cannot think clearly when you start to overheat.I would suggest you ride a 30+ class or anything but first year/beginner.Kill switch is required by rule but they have not been checking them.Buy some tear offs or roll offs to keep clear vision.

Bill Fuller
10-26-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by smr

Bring Brad with ya..I rode with him once at Turkey bay. That kid is fast. [/B]
Yea as long as he can keep his POS together:blah: :devil:

smr
10-26-2004, 06:10 PM
Listen to Bill...the dude knows what he is talken about. Run the 33+ class with us old guys and you will have alot of fun. Just remember to watch out for the sandbaggers in the beginner class that always catches us. When they yell let them buy or they will run over you.

Drink plenty of water and have a good time.

zoe17
10-26-2004, 07:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I am still a little nervous about entering though. I have a few more questions so please bear with me.

Do most first time racers enter beg. class or age class?

Do most first time racers finish even finish?

What about fuel, I do not have a IMS/oversize tank, gotta stop and fuel up right?

Which do you guys prefer tear offs or smith roll offs, I have read different comments on both?

What are your race plan, a good fast mantainable pace, then all out at the end?

If the pro riders finish lap three and you are on lap two race is over right?

How do you afford to compete on regular basis? It gets or could get very exspensive?

How did or how do you guys do on a regular basis as far as finish positions/ laps?

How tight is the course? I ride woods here and just got back from the S.W.R. fall ride at Loretta's and really enjoyed the ride as always. It sloppy but fun. I managed at least 34 miles friday/28 sat./14 sunday.

Sorry about all the questions but hey I need all the help I can get. Thanks in advance for your help.

jesshamner
10-26-2004, 10:37 PM
Most first time racers start in the C class or the First year class.

Let your first goal be: to finish.

You may have to stop for gas. Why not stop on your last lap for a quick splash of gas.

I'm still using regular scott goggles...no roll-off, no tearoff.:huh

You should plan to ride at a good pace for 2 hours. My suggestion is to practice this week before the race and ride for 2 hours to see how fast you will need to go. Also, this will tell you if you need to refuel during the race.

The race ends after the pros have been racing for 1.5 hours. This means you could be out there for 2 hours if they pros are about to lap you but you cross the finish line just before they do on the last lap.

Racing can be expensive...but thats all relative.

I haven't been racing that long but I try for top 5 in my class. I was 5th place at the first midsouth. I'm racing a higher class than usual though.

Some are really tight, some aren't. The first round had tight and wide sections. It was a really fun track but dusty.

smr
10-27-2004, 05:53 AM
Unless you have a motor that has been built you will do fine on gas. I have ran for over two hours and never ran out.

Jessehammer is correct...try to pace yourself and remember that it's a two hour race.

This weekend is a new course so I don't know if it will be tight our open. I have talked to some people that have rode there before and they tell me it's alot of mud.

I don't run tare offs...I usually put safety glasses on under my goggles and I pull the goggles off after the first lap.

Good luck and see you this weekend.

cdalejef
10-27-2004, 06:24 AM
Rolloffs are better for harescrambles.