PDA

View Full Version : Testing stator/flywheel

Blown 331
10-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Alright, I'm working on my buddy's 86 250R. He has 12.5 to one compression, ESR TRX-6, 38mm air stryker carb and a cool head. All parts are new, fresh rebuild. I'm jetted the **** outta this thing and it we can't get it to run like it should. My stock ATC250R smokes it hard and that thing doesn't run right either. It won't rev very quick in the top end, seems like its cutting out. I think it may be an ignition problem. It also has a brand new stator, spark plug and wire. Could the flywheel be a problem? Looking for some suggestions.

wilkin250r
10-25-2004, 11:53 AM
The ignition system on quads is pretty simple, for reasons of longevity and costs. As a result, it's usually all-or-nothing. Either it works, or it doesn't. If you have a good spark and performance at low rpms, then it's very doubtful the problem is in the ignition.

It's kinda like being a "little bit dead". You're either dead, or you're alive. Either your ignition system works, or it doesn't. Very rarely will it work poorly, or only at certain RPMs.

Blown 331
10-25-2004, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure what the prob could be. He switched from a 36mm mikuni to a 38mm air stryker with not much of a change in performance. I've tried any where from 130 to 190 main jets and it really doesn't affect the problem we are having. This is where I got the idea for the flywheel/stator.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88950&perpage=15&highlight=250r%20jetting%20stator&pagenumber=1

If you do a search there are about 4 more threads that the flywheel/stator were causing problems in the upper RPMs. I think we're gonna but they flywheel from my ATC on it and see what happens. I mean look at what is done to this thing. I seriously doubt it could beat a 300EX in a drag. We have straight 110 octain with 32 to 1 Honda synthetic premix oil.

wilkin250r
10-25-2004, 04:27 PM
I suppose it's possible. If all else fails, try swapping components in and see if the problem fixes itself. Personally, I've never seen any problems with the ignition system that were not black-and-white.

Blown 331
10-26-2004, 08:49 AM
Just found out it also has a new stator, pick up, and coil. We have all the old parts too. No idea what the problem is. We are going to try the fly wheel from my ATC tonight. If that doesn't work I think we are going to throw it off a bridge.

Blown 331
10-26-2004, 12:39 PM
Is ignition timing adjustable on these things like and ATC200 where the pick up can be turned or is it more like a 400EX where it's basically fixed? Maybe when the pick up was replaced the timing wasn't set right?

velocityatv
10-26-2004, 06:37 PM
The timing is fixed unless you buy an adjustable counter balance carrier, I run one from RPM 265cc 220psi 113 oct 38mm a/s carb LRD adjustable pipe I've got the timing advanced about 3 degrees. It revs supper fast. Going to try a flywheel wieght to smooth it out a little.

Blown 331
10-27-2004, 06:46 AM
Someone has to know what is wrong with this beater?
If not and you're close to St. Louis you should look off bridges in the area because that is where this thing is going.

ESR350r
10-27-2004, 08:18 PM
When i got my Bigbore kit from ESR mine ranlike *****. Try adjusting the gap on the plug. Take it down to .18 or .19 . It takes time to tune in a new carb. I am still doing it. You may also want to try adjusting the needle also.

Blown 331
10-28-2004, 09:32 PM
Well it was just a carb problem. I just started jetting 2-strokes and I finally figured it out. .019 spark plug, 172 main, second leanest on the clip. Rips *** now. Beats my stock ATC but still can't hand with the 450R's. He has a nitrous kit for it so that should take care of that problem. Starting a new thread for opinions on pipes.