PDA

View Full Version : Briggs motors

MotoX3
10-24-2004, 03:32 PM
hey.....i have a briggs motor on my go cart(5.5 hp:eek2: )....and i was wondering if they sold any like aftermarket pipes or anything for these....because i chopped the back of the pipe off and now it sounds like a drag car:chinese: .....so does anyone know of any aftermarket crap or any things i can do to it to gain some hp....bc now it basically sucks:macho

chucked
10-24-2004, 04:02 PM
haha, thats great, i had a go kart a few years back... One of the best things I did was getting a torque converter. But you cant really get any more power out of them, also you can put a zip or twist tie through the governor spring

LTandRaptorider
10-24-2004, 04:10 PM
or remove the governer, just pay attention to the rpms! I used a water pipe in place of muffler! :p

chucked
10-24-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
or remove the governer, just pay attention to the rpms! I used a water pipe in place of muffler! :p

I dont think you can remove them, all the governor is, is a spring link in the linkage, so if you remove that you wont be goin anywhere, unless thats wut u were tryin to get him to do.:devil:

LTandRaptorider
10-24-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by chucked
I dont think you can remove them, all the governor is, is a spring link in the linkage, so if you remove that you wont be goin anywhere, unless thats wut u were tryin to get him to do.:devil:

No, it can be removed. the spring attaches from the throttle linkage to a plastic fan blade that picks up air from the fly wheel. The spring is a certain tension that when the plastic blade is moved by the flywheel, it will cut out the throttle at 3600 rpm. Remove the spring, no governor! But you can over-rev the engine then... ;) I had flames shooting out the water pipe on mine! :devil:

Course this was many years ago... :( Or as Commandant Lassard would say from Police Academy... many... many... many... :o

chucked
10-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
No, it can be removed. the spring attaches from the throttle linkage to a plastic fan blade that picks up air from the fly wheel. The spring is a certain tension that when the plastic blade is moved by the flywheel, it will cut out the throttle at 3600 rpm. Remove the spring, no governor! But you can over-rev the engine then... ;) I had flames shooting out the water pipe on mine! :devil:

Course this was many years ago... :( Or as Commandant Lassard would say from Police Academy... many... many... many... :o

wow, that was many many many years ago, i think i remember seeing an engine like that a few years back, now the gonvernor is ran internally off of the crank shaft like a centrifugal clutch. but now that i think about it, if you clip the linkage from that assembly to the linkage to the carb, you may be able to gain some ***. I cant remember.....

sickmojave
10-24-2004, 04:26 PM
you need some thing like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=310&item=7108443259

http://i2.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/aa/09/06_1_b.JPG

MotoX3
10-24-2004, 04:36 PM
lol ill have to try that govenor thing....anyways...i just got done riding it....i rolled her down a hill:eek2: ...now it has a custom bent pipe and the back of the frames dented:devil:

chucked
10-24-2004, 05:00 PM
that pipe wont work, I believe the 5.5 hp briggs has a 3/4 inch exhaust outlet, that ones like 1 5/16"

Disaster
10-24-2004, 05:38 PM
I say u just make a pipe for it......THats what my friend did with his....

wheeltrax
10-24-2004, 06:28 PM
I have an RLV pipe kinda like that on my kart.. only i have a briggs animal on mine.. (briggs race engine). kart hauls..

brian-250
10-24-2004, 06:44 PM
Change your Piston return spring.;)

:huh

chucked
10-24-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by brian-250

:huh

go away :rolleyes:

bulkdriverlp
10-24-2004, 07:29 PM
ha ha broken scarp iron humm dont know what to do with that!!

fastkid400
10-24-2004, 07:44 PM
is it the overhead valve or valve in block motor, i race gokarts and u can do some nastay stuff to em. heres a great site for parts, this is where we get all of our stuff. it sux that we have to run a muffler now, use to just have a pipe, but here it is and have fun:devil: http://www.apskarting.com/

Kilabanshee
10-24-2004, 07:52 PM
My friend has a briggs 5.5 horse in a mini chopper frame. He has an aftermarket carb, k&n filter, a larger lift cam, and he had to get larger lifters with that, along with a torque a verter this thin really hauls and goes atleast 45-50 mph.

LazeR
10-25-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by brian-250

You stole that from me! :grr: :mad:

hondarider2006
10-25-2004, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by LazeR
You stole that from me! :grr: :mad:

I thought I remembered you saying that sometime...that kid just needs to go away:rolleyes: