PDA

View Full Version : 5.0 ranger?

honda250xrider
10-24-2004, 12:59 PM
this is a early 80 or late 70's model 5.0 i was wondering if anyone knew anything about 5.0 motor's. My problem is that when i crank it over and hold the key down it will stay started but as soon as i let the key go back to normal position it will shut off? is this something to do with the timing or is this an electrical problem? when i hold the key and it stays started it will shoot flames out of the carb about 2 feet tall, im not to sure as to why it does this im thinking it has to deal with the timing. but i dont understand why it will start until you release the key to the normal position.

Lance

Screamin440
10-24-2004, 01:37 PM
Your timing is retarded. Set your timing back to spec and then see if the problem is still there.

honda250xrider
10-24-2004, 01:42 PM
alright now to set the timing back what do i need to do, i have been told to get your number 1 spark plug to be on the tdc and then take off your dis. cap and then look to make sure that the clip is pointing to the number 1 spark plug? i have tried it this way but with no prevail. I seem to always get different readings everytime im guessing i must go into the motor a little bit?

mojoe2878
10-24-2004, 02:55 PM
lossen up the bolt at the bottom of the distributor enough so you can turn the dist. back and forth some, then advance the timing a little by turning the dist. ( i think it clockwise) dont turn it too much just a little at a time until it will crank and run fairly smooth. when you get it where you want it tighten the bolt back down. if ya go by the #1 piston for tdc then you need to be sure its up on compression and not exauhst and line up timing pointer with the 0 on the harmonic balancer, your final timing should be set around 8 degrees BTDC (before top dead center). try it like i said above instead of trying to bring up the #1 piston and see how it does, let us know what happens.

honda250xrider
10-24-2004, 03:04 PM
i have tried like you have said, but i think my timing is to far off im not sure if it jumped timing or what but its no good turning dist. It seems as if i go anymore right then it will not fire at all and if i go any more right it will not fire, but the way i have it right now it will start but once you bring the key back to the normal position it will shut off, could the timing be 180 off?

LTandRaptorider
10-24-2004, 03:14 PM
2 words... timing light! rotating the distributor will get you close, but a timing light will do the trick for ya. ;) Sounds like it's definitely firing too soon...

mojoe2878
10-24-2004, 03:22 PM
ok then.... pull the #1 plug out and get someone to bump the engine over while you hold your finger over the hole ( un hook the coil so it wont crank) until you fell compression , then stop, then turn the harmonic balancer over by hand until the timing indicater is pointing at the 0 on the harmonic balancer, put your dist. cap back on and mark the spot where the rotor button is pointing as the #1 and put your plug wire on it then make sure all the plug wires are in the right place, the timing on the distributer cap is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 thats going counter clockwise on the dist. cap from the #1. on the engine the cylinders are numdered from front to back on the passenger side 1-2-3-4 and front to back on the driver side5-6-7-8.

mojoe2878
10-24-2004, 03:24 PM
one other thing... was the motor runing fine and then all of the sudden started doing this? if so the your timing chain may have jumped a tooth on the gear.

mojoe2878
10-24-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
2 words... timing light! rotating the distributor will get you close, but a timing light will do the trick for ya. ;) Sounds like it's definitely firing too soon...
yes timing lights are awesome but its gotta stay running for a little while to use one.

LTandRaptorider
10-24-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by mojoe2878
yes timing lights are awesome but its gotta stay running for a little while to use one.

true! :p

honda250xrider
10-24-2004, 04:18 PM
yes, it was running fine and then it just shut off..... tried to start it up but to never could so im guessing that it may of jumped a tooth do u know if this is a hard fix or not?

mojoe2878
10-24-2004, 05:04 PM
nah its not really hard, it is about a 3 or 4 hour job though. you will have to pull the belts, fan, water pump and the timing chain cover off then you will have access to the chain and gears. its best to buy a chain and gears and replace all of it as a set. since you have never done it before go ahead and spend another $15 and get a haynes manual for the truck and it should tell you exactly how to do it. you will also have to remove the harmonic balancer to get the crank shaft gear off, it will take a $15 harmonic balance puller for that too. thats the only special tool you would need.

allmixedup047
10-24-2004, 05:46 PM
just drive with the key turned foward.;) it will be OK.:macho

bulkdriverlp
10-24-2004, 07:36 PM
seem to me if its barking flames its firing on the intake stroke. make sure the distributor is even turning. if not its the timing chain is broke. like he said take everything off the front of the motor make sure ur reference dots line up on crank and cam and so on. or the chain may be stretched, like he said may have jumped a tooth.

before you take everything off check all the plug wires make sure theyre on the right plugs.

as for the key thing, thats prolly problem with the ignition in the steering column.

dbsbl1
10-24-2004, 11:27 PM
Here's a good place to go for Ranger quesitons...

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/