PDA

View Full Version : painting plastic?

exatak199
10-23-2004, 09:32 PM
ok i know that paint doesnt stick to plastic very well but i was thinking thew other day about getting black plastic and wet sanding it then painting it Chroma Lusion (this paint changes to about 36 differant colors by the way the light hits it here is a pic of this paint http://mysticcobra.net/other/dupont_tg_3.jpg ) any who afer paint int it put a good layer of clear coat of it my Q ia would it chip of very easy or would it hold up ok? I konw that if you roll over it would chip but just nomal riding would it work and little scratchs i could just touch up. (my dad has done auto body for 28or so years so he knows paint and he has done a few Chroma Lusion jobs B4)

whats are some of you guys/girls thoughts?

YZ400EX
10-24-2004, 10:51 PM
I painted my old 4x4 quad and havent even ridden it since..it took me like 4-5 hours of wet sanding, and all prepping to get it ready..got it all painted and put back together..Like I said it has just sent since then and some little small pieces have chipped off just from weather n stuff so I am sure if you rolled it would look horrible afterwards..I would never suggest painting plastic after this experience..Thats why I experimented with my old quad. Just my opinion though

sntheticdeluson
10-25-2004, 06:50 PM
just normal riding it will lokk like hell in no time even if you use that plastic paint by krylon it chips to

tp300ex
10-25-2004, 08:10 PM
i wouldnt do it:o

robbo1
10-25-2004, 09:09 PM
ive been painting in auto body for about ten yrs... ya gotta go thru alot of steps to get it to stick and use alot of diff cleaners and adhesion promoters and you still might not have any luck. the problem is the type of plastic atvs use.its loaded with release agents from the manufacturing process and it is a good rule of thum in autobody that color injected plastics usually dont accept paint very well or very long i wouldnt do it either... thats my 2cents:p