PDA

View Full Version : Jetting/battery Question

JustRace
04-14-2002, 03:43 PM
Some of you may know that i had the 440 and edelbrock carb put on over the winter. Well when i got it back it ran perfectly fine and it seemed to idle kind of high. But that weather was around 45 degrees out. When the temp got down to around 30 my quad wasn't idling well and it would back fire when i hit the gas. Now its 70 out and it won't idle at all, but it has always ran fine from about 1/2 throttle to wot. And when I pull in the clutch and get on the gas it will stall.

The edelbrock carb has a idle adjustment screw and the "metering tool" which adjusts the mixture from idle to 1/3 throttle. I have the idle to 1/3 mixture to full rich, and I have turned the idle adjustment up about a 1/4 turn. All this was done while the weather was 30 degrees out like i said before.

The battery is a POS on my EX. It will start fine if its about 60 out doors. I rode it today and like i said it was stalling when i let off of the gas, and it wouldn't start back up. I went and put the charger on the battery and it said the battery was completely dead. So i'm thinking that the stator (thats what recharges the battery while riding right?) is making the juice for the ex and why it has no problems on the gas, but i think that the battery is so dead that it won't hold a charge and at low rpms the stator isn't making enough energy to keep the ex running.

So is it my battery or jetting or a combination of both that is making my ex not to keep running unless i give it some throttle. Should i just get a new battery and then see how it runs?

NacsRacing400
04-14-2002, 03:54 PM
It has to be jetting, The battery is only needed to start the quad with the electric starter. If you dont have a battery you can still catch a quad in gear. So that leaves only the jetting part. What mods are done and what jets are you running in your quad. Im sure someone on here will tell you what size jets you need to run. Hope that helped

JustRace
04-14-2002, 04:18 PM
I have a 440 with white brothers all around cam, 11:1 comp, and the edelbrock carb. I'm not running any jets. lol

NacsRacing400
04-14-2002, 05:45 PM
i forgot about not running jets in those carbs. Well if you have an air mixture screw you could trying messing around with that.

JustRace
04-14-2002, 06:15 PM
I'm going to get po'd if i can't get this running right. I went out with my dad and messed around with the carb. I went out got it running right away because the battery charger has been on it. Well it wouldn't idle. I turned up the accelerator pump and still nothing. I got it running again a little later had my dad slowly turn up the idle screw while i was holding the throttle to keep it running. I let of the throttle it stalled again. Then it wouldn't start back up. So my dad turned the enrichener/choke on and it fired right up, then he took the choke off and it stalled so we're like-oh its way lean- We got it going again with the enrichener and the smoke coming out of the exhaust was a little black so then with the enrichener on its running lean. So i had my dad slowly back off the choke and it was idling fine, then i revved the motor up a couple of times and then it stalled again once i let off of the throttle. And now it won't start. I probably just foaled the d/\mn plug.

NacsRacing400
04-14-2002, 06:18 PM
Did you check your spark plug, what color is it?

JustRace
04-14-2002, 06:25 PM
No i haven't checked the spark plug. I'll probably do that tomorrow. I'm going to go out right now and see if it will start.

NacsRacing400
04-14-2002, 06:35 PM
Ya check that because i know if its mixing to rich it wont idle. Im just not so sure with the carbs with no jets. Hope im helping some

JustRace
04-14-2002, 06:51 PM
I think your 100% right. I just went out and tride to start it and i'm pretty sure i fouled the plug. I think your right also because when i brought it home it was like 45 degrees so the air was densor leaning out the mixture. I also had a big gun complete exhaust on that had no packing left in it, and now i put the stock one back on. I'm not going to give up because if i decide to sell it i won't get much unless its running right.