PDA

View Full Version : Restarting Bike for the first time in 2 years, need help.

01400ex
10-22-2004, 08:11 PM
Due to numerous incidences beyond my control I haven't been able to ride my Honda 400EX in over 2 years (death of my father, school and family reasons). What do you all recommend I do before I attempt to restart my bike?

jesshamner
10-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Drain the gas and clean the carb. Make sure the battery is charged. Change the oil.

TheFontMaster
10-22-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by jesshamner
Drain the gas and clean the carb. Make sure the battery is charged. Change the oil.

Yea what he said. That is it very basic. Once you been running it a little it probably wouldn't be that bad of an idea to check the valves.

EDIT: clean the air filter too.

JOEX
10-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Make sure there aren't any critter nests in or around the intake and exhaust systems;)

bigbadktm
10-22-2004, 09:29 PM
after all that, run it hard and change the oil again. there will be some sludge left in the motor from sitting. you could also throw some engine flush in there and run it, then change the oil.

Aceman
10-23-2004, 05:30 PM
I would take the valve cover off and pour some oil directly on the cam and rockers also. Otherwise your top end might run dry for a few seconds till oil gets up there. You might need a new spark plug also, or just a good cleaning on the old one. It might not be a bad idea to squirt a little oil in the cylinder since it sat for so long also.