PDA

View Full Version : Front Wheel Hub Removal...HELP!!!

cwiert
10-22-2004, 08:44 AM
I've got a 300ex. Bearings in the front wheel are shot. I took the wheel off, took the brake caliper off, took the wheel hub nut off. That's as far as I can get. I pulled with every ounce of stregnth that I have to pull the wheel hub assembly off, but it won't budge. I tried WD40, still no luck. Am I missing a step or something here? I need to get that off in order to change the bearings. Any idea how I do this???

Aceman
10-22-2004, 09:23 AM
It should come off. Have you tried hitting it with a rubber mallet or lightly tapping it with a regular hammer?

cwiert
10-22-2004, 09:28 AM
yeah, i tried that. the problem is that the disck brake (rotor) gets in the way. I don't want to hit it too hard or else i'll bend it and that will be bad.

blitzkrieg05
10-28-2004, 08:48 PM
you may be able to loosen your rotor from the hub while it is still on the bike, i think it is a 6 mm allen wrench. Another thing you can do is take a rubber mallet and tap the hub as if you were putting it on, and then as if you were taking it off, wiggle it off, this may loosen you hub from the spindle. Can you turn your hub? or is the bearing too shot to turn?

cwiert
10-30-2004, 06:22 AM
yeah, i got it off and ended up doing exactly what you said. took off the rotor from the hub, then used a rubber hammer to band the hub off. who knew that would be the easy part. it then took me about 4 hours to get the seized bearings out. that was not fun, but its done and everything works great now. thanks for all your help.