PDA

View Full Version : 400ex engine problems.. need help

Bobbs07
10-21-2004, 09:18 PM
my 400ex when i got it ran nicely but i was told it smoked a little so it would need a new oil ring.. wellll. times went fast rode alot never had the time and never replaced it. one day it started smoking alot so i put it away and lost interest, when i say smoking, i meant clouds of smoke. Then i took it out for a ride on my buddys land to figure out the problem and it started making a ticking noise while on the ride.. i checked the oil and it was low so i filled it up, then drained it, filled it up w/ 2 quarts of honda oil. still ticks, well. took it out today for a ride the battery was dead, charged her up, started it and rode it for a bout 15 feet it made a thump in the engine, will still turn over, makes a different kinda of noise like a thumping now when it turns over.. it will not start. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.:(

mojoe2878
10-21-2004, 09:29 PM
your gonna have to tear it down wether you want to or not and see what the damage is. if its makin a thumping noise then it might have droped a valve or the rod bearings could be shot lettin the piston slap. or it could just be the piston. your gonna have to tear it down and see.thats the only thing to do.

Bobbs07
10-22-2004, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by mojoe2878
your gonna have to tear it down wether you want to or not and see what the damage is. if its makin a thumping noise then it might have droped a valve or the rod bearings could be shot lettin the piston slap. or it could just be the piston. your gonna have to tear it down and see.thats the only thing to do.

yeah, my buddys dad said the ticking sounded like the valves so im hoping its just a valve problem and not a crank or something big.. Yeah im thinking on tearing it down tomarrow.. thanks:macho

sam the brave
10-22-2004, 08:09 AM
well my ex is in the shop now cuz it smoked alot and the rings where blown and i rode it to hell and all the oil burtn and blew the motor in a bout 10 minutes

it might be valve seals
or piston rings

10-22-2004, 08:47 AM
you shoulda just changed the rings on it right when you got it...now your probaly in for alot more $$$ and a world of trouble..time to tear down & have fun

Screamin440
10-23-2004, 05:02 PM
Is it a ticking or a knocking? A ticking is a light metallic tap, similar to tapping drum sticks together. A knocking is a much heavier, more violent noise than the ticking.