PDA

View Full Version : Compressing files

QuadJunkies
10-21-2004, 11:01 AM
I just got a web host for my videos and would like to know how to comress files??? These short clips are HUGE and take up too much space for what they are..I need to have this all figured out in time for our racing series in a couple weeks.:D Are there some programs easier to use than others??? I need whatever is the easiest:o I dont have time to mess with anything too complicated..

Thanks guys and gals!!!:)

Brad77
10-21-2004, 12:33 PM
In my opinion Winzip is the easiest file compression program to use. Although I have noticed that compression doesn't seem to help too much with video files. I know that video file size can be changed a good bit in the intitial setup of the video, such as bit rate, audio quality, resolution, ect.

QuadJunkies
10-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Brad77
In my opinion Winzip is the easiest file compression program to use. Although I have noticed that compression doesn't seem to help too much with video files. I know that video file size can be changed a good bit in the intitial setup of the video, such as bit rate, audio quality, resolution, ect. these are just simply short clips off my Digi Camera,25mb clips are rediculous:o :p for just 5 clips that are 5-10 seconds long:eek2: lol
I have never used WINZIP I dont even think I have it installed,is it hard to figure out??

thomps6s
10-22-2004, 07:10 AM
I think if you format them in Windows Media Association (.wmv files) Go to stuntquads.com and look at their vids. Click on contact and send them a message they will help you out. They are 5 minute long clips and they are around 20mb. Also, If you do a search here on this you will find some tips. Hope this helps.

QuadJunkies
10-22-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by thomps6s
I think if you format them in Windows Media Association (.wmv files) Go to stuntquads.com and look at their vids. Click on contact and send them a message they will help you out. They are 5 minute long clips and they are around 20mb. Also, If you do a search here on this you will find some tips. Hope this helps. Thanks for the info. Im new to this stuff so Ill play with a few vids this wk end and see how it goes.. I actually did do a search first.. BOTH threads were ones I had done :p

thomps6s
10-22-2004, 08:24 AM
Here ya go quad junkies. I remebered seeing this thread in a post of a video from Bill and Tim of stuntquads.com. He put out some directions.

To encode in Windows Media Format

Open the video project up in Premiere

Click FILE -> EXPORT -> MOVIE

Click SETTINGS

Under the General Settings set FILE TYPE to MICROSOFT DV AVI and hit OK

Browse to where you would like the file saved and name it "yournamehere.avi"

Click SAVE. It will render the movie and save it as a pretty big .AVI file. A 5 minute AVI is over 1 gig.

Close Premiere and open up Windows Movie Maker.

Depending on what version you have, it maybe a little different. I will use Movie Maker 2 for this example, but you should be able to figure it out if you havent updated yet.

Click FILE -> IMPORT INTO COLLECTIONS

Browse to your saved AVI file and click IMPORT (Make sure you have "Create Clips For Video Files" UN-Checked.

Once the file is imported, drag the video clip down onto the time line.

Click FILE -> SAVE MOVIE FILE

Choose MY COMPUTER and click NEXT

Give it a name and location to save and click NEXT

Click OTHER SETTINGS and then use the drop down box to pick a bitrate. I suggest "Video for Broadband (512k)" or "Video for LAN (768k)"

Click NEXT and it will encode and save the video.

I like Windows Media (.WMV) because it does a pretty good job for a free codec, and most people run windows XP so they can play the file without downloading codec and whatever.

If you want something a little nicer, do a search on Google for Divx encoding. It's more work to encode in Divx, but you may find better results.

Let me know if this is helpfull and post questions if you have any.

Bill www.stuntquads.com

QuadJunkies
10-22-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by thomps6s
Here ya go quad junkies. I remebered seeing this thread in a post of a video from Bill and Tim of stuntquads.com. He put out some directions.

To encode in Windows Media Format

Open the video project up in Premiere

Click FILE -> EXPORT -> MOVIE

Click SETTINGS

Under the General Settings set FILE TYPE to MICROSOFT DV AVI and hit OK

Browse to where you would like the file saved and name it "yournamehere.avi"

Click SAVE. It will render the movie and save it as a pretty big .AVI file. A 5 minute AVI is over 1 gig.

Close Premiere and open up Windows Movie Maker.

Depending on what version you have, it maybe a little different. I will use Movie Maker 2 for this example, but you should be able to figure it out if you havent updated yet.

Click FILE -> IMPORT INTO COLLECTIONS

Browse to your saved AVI file and click IMPORT (Make sure you have "Create Clips For Video Files" UN-Checked.

Once the file is imported, drag the video clip down onto the time line.

Click FILE -> SAVE MOVIE FILE

Choose MY COMPUTER and click NEXT

Give it a name and location to save and click NEXT

Click OTHER SETTINGS and then use the drop down box to pick a bitrate. I suggest "Video for Broadband (512k)" or "Video for LAN (768k)"

Click NEXT and it will encode and save the video.

I like Windows Media (.WMV) because it does a pretty good job for a free codec, and most people run windows XP so they can play the file without downloading codec and whatever.

If you want something a little nicer, do a search on Google for Divx encoding. It's more work to encode in Divx, but you may find better results.

Let me know if this is helpfull and post questions if you have any.

Bill www.stuntquads.com

Thanks you sooo much!!!! This gives me something to work with!!!! Il let you know if I got it figured out ;)