PDA

View Full Version : So many R problems

Southtown00
10-21-2004, 10:21 AM
It seems the more research I do, the more afraid I am to spend over $6000 on a 450 R.
After hearing about:

-Camshaft bearings not being properly installed
-Frames cracking
-A-arms cracking
-Almost certain carrier bearing failure
-Kickstarter breaking cases
-knocking and other noises at idle

Is the 450R really more reliable than the yamaha (with a kcikstarter)?

10-21-2004, 10:28 AM
there are MANY more problems with the yamaha..iv'e never had a problem with my 450r & I ride pretty hard. just get the warranty if you're that scared.

quadjeff
10-21-2004, 10:40 AM
I agree.. Buy a Yama dog and you will pay... Just look at the GNC pros next year... They are all getting off yamaha..

PEPwalshZ440
10-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by quadjeff
I agree.. Buy a Yama dog and you will pay... Just look at the GNC pros next year... They are all getting off yamaha..

yea...look at east coast....2 top riders getting off a yami...that has to say something

the Z Man
10-21-2004, 10:56 AM
I raced the whole XC series and some MX without ANY problems, (other than rider error),, the only thing I did was change the oil and fill her with fuel
I have a buddy that has had problem after problem with his YFZ, its for sale if you know anyone looking for one, he is going to black and he will never go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:chinese:

LostCause439
10-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
there are MANY more problems with the yamaha..iv'e never had a problem with my 450r & I ride pretty hard. just get the warranty if you're that scared.

i wouldnt say many more , stator problem with early 04 models that makes the battery dead and leaky water pump on early 04`s also, other than that everything else is just normal wear and tear or misabuse same with some of the 450r problems, if you like it get it, wether it be whatever brand

stiffy
10-21-2004, 02:00 PM
My hubby has one (450R) and he has ridden the hell out of it and there hasn't been one ride where he hasn't wrecked and nothing has ever broke or bent and he rides HARD

ZRider400
10-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Southtown00
It seems the more research I do, the more afraid I am to spend over $6000 on a 450 R.
After hearing about:

-Camshaft bearings not being properly installed
-Frames cracking
-A-arms cracking
-Almost certain carrier bearing failure
-Kickstarter breaking cases
-knocking and other noises at idle

Is the 450R really more reliable than the yamaha (with a kcikstarter)?

1. honda will cover that....

2. user error

3. user error

4. :huh so..buy an aftermarket carrier

5. dont hold the gas when kicking and its fine.....duh

6 ever hear a CRF450 bike? same noises....all normal.

BIGBLOCKBILL
10-21-2004, 02:35 PM
I will have to disagree with the frames cracking being caused by rider error. My '04 broke in 5 places by mid season and was never wrecked. I ride pretty hard(local XC Pro) but also ride very smart. I'm not knocking Honda but they had to save the weight somewhere and it looks to me like the frame was one of those places.

shagy
10-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by BIGBLOCKBILL
I will have to disagree with the frames cracking being caused by rider error. My '04 broke in 5 places by mid season and was never wrecked. I ride pretty hard(local XC Pro) but also ride very smart. I'm not knocking Honda but they had to save the weight somewhere and it looks to me like the frame was one of those places.

did you try gusseting????

trout
10-21-2004, 04:46 PM
I have had my 450R for more than 6 months and have easily over 1000 miles on it. I ride the Little saharah Dunes in UT, and Walden in CO. and jeep and off-raod trails all along the front Range from 5000 ft to 11,000Ft. I bet I have changed the Oil and tranny fluid every 200 miles, probably 5-6 times.

I have never:
adjusted chain
tightened any bolts
checked my brakes
or adjusted anything

and I have (knocks on wood) had ZERO PROBLEMS!

I ride this thing like a raped ape and it still starts on the 2nd kick every time! I just dont see it giving me any issues. I believe you are putting too much stock in " Isolated" issues.

trout

benwa450r
10-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Any quad will break... or get broken. People will run into trees and complain a-arms broke. No bike is perfect. Honda just has fewer overall problems. Only color was changed for 2005. Yamaha changed several things to make 2005 better. Make your own call.:D

BIGBLOCKBILL
10-21-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by shagy
did you try gusseting????

I'm waiting to find all the weak spots then I'll buy a new frame, gusset it and have it PC'ed.

450 Racer R
10-21-2004, 06:08 PM
saved weight on the frame? the YFZ frame uses smaller diameter tubing. and where the subframe bolts up at is in the worst spot ever.

markk
10-21-2004, 08:32 PM

Warrantys are BULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! imo

exrider44
10-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Ive had mine since January and I beat the piss out of it. No problems at :D

atvmx14
10-22-2004, 10:27 AM
RACE QUAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stuff will break.....

No wing No prayer!!

sMoKiNyFz
10-22-2004, 03:44 PM
I haven't had any problems with my yfz . I have talked to people that have had more problems with their hondas so i guess i am lucky. Or the yfz doesn't actually have many more problems . If you get the 450r and race it then obviosly buy some stuff for it but even if you don't you should buy the kit. It isn't fast enough without it.

dirtriderex
10-22-2004, 05:54 PM
With any quad your going to have problems. Every quad has frame cracking problems when your beating the sh*t out of it. It's part of the sport.

casidk
10-23-2004, 04:27 AM
We have now in Denmark & Sweden drive over 25 race (50 heats) this year and the only problems have bin the Frames cracking in left side over the Enginemount, where others have the same problems
(Danish & Swedish Champ 2004) www.asqrt.dk

allmixedup047
10-23-2004, 04:19 PM
ive had mine since the first of april and the only problem i had was the shifter seal went out. i took it in just cause i didnt want to mess with it and honda covered it, i paid nothing. i have ridin mine pretty hard from day one and have had no other problems at all. i have rolled it a couple times, one time being down a dune and i have had no frame cracks what so ever. the yfz's i ride with are always down for some reason. but im pretty sure that its just because the owners dont know how to leave things alone, and stop jacking with them.

sntheticdeluson
10-23-2004, 04:45 PM
heres my solution to all the hear say about problems DONT BUY ONE THEN thats easy enough who cares nobody has a gun to your head sayin BUY IT BUY IT if your scared your scared its ok if your worried about breaking stuff on one then buy a trx 50 cause with a 450 400 or anything with a big displacement if you ride it to its limits your gonna break stuff thats just how it is on the other hand a 50 sounds perfect for you because you cant get fast enough to break anything and if you get going to fast and get scared your mommy can always pull the safety cord and shut it off for you

RuffRyder
10-23-2004, 04:58 PM
LOL.....

deathman53
10-23-2004, 07:17 PM
markk is right, warrantees are great if you are gonna keep the bike 100% stock, when you put on a pipe, its voided, a-arms, shocks, almost defenetly, when you open up the motor is automatically vioded. I bought a warranty on my xr250r and was told if I wanted the warrantly to stay I had to have a honda dealer rejet my bike(about 2 hours @$80/hr). Technically if you don't use honda oil, coolant and filters you viod your warranty. They are bs.

Mxracer53
10-23-2004, 08:40 PM
ive seen yfz with blown trannies, short circuited batteries,and they all have discolered plastic

Kennethyfz450
10-23-2004, 11:23 PM

Thats the dumbest reason why to buy a honda over a yamaha
I ride my yamaha HARD and had no troubles yet... .... ...

and the warranty is just as good as the dealer near your house..

seen yfz with blown trannies, short circuited batteries,and they all have discolered plastic

i never seen or heard blown trannies till now... batteries problem doesnt exist anymore (fixed)
discolered plastic are you joking me??

With any quad your going to have problems. Every quad has frame cracking problems when your beating the crap out of it. It's part of the sport

I agree!

hondaracer305
10-23-2004, 11:54 PM
I came down from a 90' tabletop, cased the end of it on the flat part, was thrown over the handlebars, and my 450r flipped once or twice and it still doesnt have a broken frame, that has to tell you something.