PDA

View Full Version : Yes I Race!

Evan
04-13-2002, 11:48 PM
Well Its 1oclock I just got back from my first race. I didnt do too bad, could have done better. First off I raced on about 1/2-3/4 mile 125 style track. Track could use some work thats for sure. Lots of bikes there, but they had the most quads they have ever had tonight. 20-25 quads I belive, 95% of them were 400s, maybe 4 Rs decked out, 3-4 raptors and 1 300ex. There were so many that they had to split the 400s between 2 motos and stager start them with the 2 strokes and pros. See there is only 3 classes at this track, 4stroke, 2stroke, and Pro. In my moto they let the pros go first, then the 4 strokes, like 12 of us. We drew numbers and you guessed it I got the very last number so I was starting on the very outside. Well I lined up and they let the pros go, then we moved up and the guy beside me was still putting his goggles on and I was watching the gate and they went ahead and dropped it! I was surprised, so I let er rip. Keep in mind nothing has been done to my motor, just a pipe and filter, well I busted out there and got a 3rd place holshot, not bad for being surprised. Well I was doing so good and was so excited I forgot to pace myself, 3 laps I was worn out not bad, then it happened, my friend I ride with caught me and decided to pass, he rides a decked out raptor, well we went over the jumps side by side and tried to go in the turn side by side well I got squished and his back tire hit my front and it threw me off, he kept going. Well I jumped up hoping I wouldnt get run over, they were a ways back, tried to start and it wouldnt start, well I spent a half a lap trying to figure out why it wouldnt start when I realized it was the kill switch, keep in mind I hardly ever wreck and I never use the dumb thing when practicing or any other riding. If everybody could have seen my face I was red. Ended up finshing almost dead last, my buddy on the raptor ended upgetting a DNF since the battery cable decided to come off. Next moto I got like 4th in the holeshot, everyone decided to slow down in turn one so there was alot of bumping and banging. Well it was one slow guy that shouldnt have been up front, hes good at holeshots or has a bad***** motor but cant jump or corner worth a crap, he held everyone up so when I put a brakes someone slammed into me and I slammed into the guy in front and so on, well my raptor buddy got around him and I started making mistakes and couldnt get around him as fast as I should have which let my buddy get away, ended up finishing 4th after I got around him, almost ran into him a couple times he was so slow. These motos were really short only 5 laps which dont seem like much but I could have done 10 maybe. The first race for the first 3 laps I raced 100%, then the second I proably raced about 75% and tried to pace my self. So I finished 7th overall, while my buddy finshed 10th. Made pissed when I screwed up in the first moto, I could have had a 3rd place trophy, if I had just back out and let my buddy by, then moved back to 3rd when he DNFed. Oh well theres always next race, I had fun which was all I set out to accomplish.

BTW this was at Rolling hills Cycle Park in Reidsville NC

NJ300ex
04-14-2002, 11:56 AM
Got any pictures? How is your R coming along?

trx400ex
04-14-2002, 12:26 PM
sounds like you had fun... dont try to pace yourself though, if you can ride 100% the whole race think how much better you will do

Evan
04-14-2002, 09:14 PM
No good pics, I was trying to remember everything and forgot my digital camera. My cousin who raced a KTM250 in the race, brought his digital camera, and his wife took a few of me but it was a new camera to her and she didnt get any real good pics. One is of the start and everything is a blur, u can barely tell which is me. IF he will email it to me I will post it.

My R is coming slowly, I finally got all the brackets I needed atached to the frame, so now all I have to do is get it sandblasted and powdercoated, start putting it back together, buy a axle and a bearing carrier, and a pipe. The EX plastic will fit perfect. Everyone is asking me if I am going to race it, I dont think I will, it would be alot harder to race than the 400 I belive. The 400 just torques its way throught the corners.

Riding a 100%, I am going to try maybe one race that way. If I can train for it by going to my practice track and riding non stop. The only thing is my practice track has smaller easier jumps and is smooth, and half as long, I can ride 20-30 minutes non stop 100% on it but the track I race on is different.

What is your opinions on getting through the corners? Go in hard and brake with front, a little rear till you can power through the corner, or go in hard lock up the rear to setup for the turn, or any better way? I was doing the first one most of the time. Just wondering.

Evan
04-17-2002, 09:22 PM
Well I just got back from practice at the track. Got to practice against the guy that one the pro class, man he is the fastest rider I had ever rode against till this guy rolled up on a 250R. The guy on the R is a National rider, he rides with Doug Gust, Tim Farr and all them big dogs. His name is Scott Morris I belive. I think he said he finshed 6th at the last race. He has a LRD/Sparks 350 Powervalve R. That thing hauls, said it does 8.30s@80mph on 1/8 mile just for giggles. I was a whole straightaway ahead of him and he caught me and passed me. I was racing against him, I was hanging right with him at first but then I kinda lost ground, the rest of the time he stayed about 3-4 bike lengths, slowly pulling away. There would have been no way I could have hung with him in a race for 5 laps. So I doubt he would just run off and leave me but he was defintley faster. It really helped me when I am running behind faster riders. The guy that runs in the pro class, had a 400 with a 425 motor and a lobo 2 front end, he was easier to keep in sight. He had a defintely stronger motor, hes a good bit better rider but he just pulled away on the straights. I have got to get me a motor kit now, at least a rebuild.

SGA
04-17-2002, 10:42 PM
Yeah those pro/A riders haul a**
Once I saw them ride, that dropped my hat size a couple of notches!

04-18-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by sgaexer
Yeah those pro/A riders haul a**
Once I saw them ride, that dropped my hat size a couple of notches!

Ain't that the truth,,wish I could ride a fo wheela all day and get good..

Evan
04-27-2002, 10:30 PM
Well just got back from my second race. Did alot better by not wrecking. I finshed 4th in the first moto, and 3rd in the second moto, and got 2nd overall. HUH pretty good. First moto I backed out alittle going into the first turn b/c 2 guys were trying to pinch me in. The guy I ended up behind was being held up by this guy with a 250r frame and a 350x motor. THe guy in front of me was pretty good but at everyturn and jump he locked down on the brakes, I almost jumped on him one time. Next moto everyone piled up in the first turn and I was on the outside so I snuck by, and was in 4th again trying to get around this guy with a TC440, after the 3rd or 4th lap his lectron carb blew off his intake so I was in 3rd trying to over take my friend on the raptor and was catching him to but I ran out of time. He ended up finshing 1st and secoind and 1st overall. He is lucky cuz in practice a bolt came out of his a-arm and it dropped down, looked like he wasnt going to be able to race but he found a bolt and got it together. I took some pic this time but they are so dark. I do have a pic of my trophy though.

Evan
05-13-2002, 07:05 PM
Heres a blurry pic cuz its a digital pic of a real picture. The guy in the very right hand bottom corner is the leader, (my buddy whos on a raptor) The yellow guy is a 250R w/a 350X motor, hes not very fast, neither is the guy behind him. I am the one in the 4th spot you can tell by the hood. And if you look closely it looks like I am almost off the track, thats b/c the dummy in front of me hit the brakes and rolled over the jump and I almost jumped on him, I found out right then how to whip a quad in the air. Hes looking back like WTF are you doing. After the race hes like "good race" yeah whatever.